TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charger error 1084 DMC FW: HCS Fault

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Alan, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Alan

Alan Member

Hi All,

I have a old 30A charger for my Roadster(240V mobile connector 30A capable on the box) which has a blue 32A commando plug and a lunchbox sized box in the middle for the earth leakage trip / circuit to generate the pilot signal.

It seems to have gone wrong - the lights around the charge port go red and on the VDS I get

DMC FW: HCS Faulted warning

ID:1084 Data:0x00800000

Any ideas - inside the box its clean / dry & I have reset the earth leakage trip detect.

Regards
    Alan

PS If I can not fix it I may use the roadster connector and a type 2 socket to make an adaptor to use a Model S UMC. Has anyone done this - I am in the UK so can not use one of the CANs due to the different charge ports.

2. Chillout

Chillout Member

Did you try lowering the Amperage?

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I don't know if you can use the EU spec Model S UMC with an adapter or not because I haven't heard of anyone who has tried it. I think you could make the adapter you're proposing if you had the right tools using your original Roadster cable. But it would be inherently unsafe. Remember that cable is rated for 32A (even though it only charges at 30). You have to assume that somebody will eventually try to use it with a 64/70A charging station. Meanwhile your 32A parts will be a fire hazard if somebody forgets or doesn't know they have to turn the amps down.

4. Alan

Alan Member

Hi Guys,

Lowering the amperage - tried that (10A) but same error.

Cable rating - firstly the adaptor would be for my use but I will put a note on it in case it somehow got into the wrong hands.

Used with the UMC or the charger at home it would see 32A max. The UMC is rated at 40A max. I need to check the rating of the existing cable going to the Roadster connector when I am next at home - its about 1 inch thick so unless its due to a protective metal shield the cable is at least as thick if not thicker than the high power Roadster chargers.

5. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

I have get same error twice after the car was fully charged
    My clipper creek highpower wall mark fault
    and after disconecitng the cable to car and press the bottom stop on the charge it works ok aigin
    Anny ides what i shall try to with my charger or is it power supply problem the last time was my air compresor working and that is instllalled in same supply line but on all 3 phases