Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Locking Issue - Would Prefer To Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always, always charge my model 3 in my closed garage. Every morning I go out there to do a couple things and my phone is rarely with me (its usually upstairs still charging) , and I would like to unhook the charger from the port and put away the cord to save a little time later. But of course the charger is locked in place. I get that the charger locks and that is good for people who charge their car in public, but I would far prefer that the charger port never lock. Yes, I could grab the key from my kitchen drawer and unlock the car that way, then disconnect the port, then put the key back, but I'm just trying to minimize the steps required.

Is it possible, somehow, to disconnect the charger without first waking up and unlocking the car? It seems like a reasonable option that is not there.

If you are certain that you (and anyone with access to the garage) will not unplug while charging, this simple mod works great (see the closer of the two adapters). Pushing the button on the J1772 charger handle stops the charge even if your phone isn't present - enabling safe removal. Unplugging while charge is active could result in an arc that will likely damage your charge port so give it some thought before implementing. It took me less then 3 minutes on a knee mill but I suppose a dremel could work.

20190904_202259-picsay.jpg

I always, always charge my model 3 in my closed garage. Every morning I go out there to do a couple things and my phone is rarely with me (its usually upstairs still charging) , and I would like to unhook the charger from the port and put away the cord to save a little time later. But of course the charger is locked in place. I get that the charger locks and that is good for people who charge their car in public, but I would far prefer that the charger port never lock. Yes, I could grab the key from my kitchen drawer and unlock the car that way, then disconnect the port, then put the key back, but I'm just trying to minimize the steps required.

Is it possible, somehow, to disconnect the charger without first waking up and unlocking the car? It seems like a reasonable option that is not there.

Not as it is currently designed. That said and given your use-case, why not just leave it plugged in until you're ready to drive it out of the garage?

The lock is a safety feature both to prevent arcing when you disconnect and to prevent casual bumping of the cord from loosening the plug from the car. J1772 handles this with a simple mechanical latch, but Tesla chose to go with the fancier in-car lock. Maybe place a key card somewhere in the garage? Otherwise, you'll just have tto get used to grabbing my phone or key card before going out to the car.

Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to look something up, then forgot about it until I was back on the API page.

The Tesla API Commands supports the open / unlock charge port command.

So two things came to mind:
- You could write software to unlock it every day at a specific time (or week days or what ever).. Set it for 6am.. when your in the garage just unplug it.
* I don't know if TeslaFi, or any of the similar services already support this.
* I don't know how long the charge port will stay unlocked. Indefinitely? until the car sleeps? etc.. Both of these could be answered and solved in software.

- Or with a raspberry Pi in your garage you could have a button in your garage that would unlock the charge port.
* More complex setup.

Why not keep a key card somewhere safe in your garage that you can whip out when you are down there to unplug? If both of your original cards that came with the car are used (by you and wife for example), think about picking up another set for $25. Not that expensive, you get the convenient access you want to the car by unlocking it so you can unplug, and if you or your wife loses a card, you'll have a back up. Anyway that's the best solution I can come up.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-key-car

Reactions: TX_Drivetime
I'm loving the mod - never have to touch the rear door at all. I think the risk of accidentally pulling it while charging is very low since you have that flashing Tesla icon right there while charging. Just have to push the button on the charger handle once and it stops charging. All other cases, when the car is asleep and not charging, I can just pull it. When out in public, the the lock still functions fully since the mod stays at home in my garage. Also this does not interfere with the mechanism to prevent driving off when plugged in either. Perfect solution for me.

The car unlock for a small amount of time, less than a minute for sure.
I've the same problem and sometime while i go down the stairs i get out the phone and unlock to save time, but when i'm down the car already locked again, so planning a 'unlock at time' will not work, as said you can go with something like raspberry or some wifi button or similar that connect to something that can send out an api request, but of course you need to know something about software ( and lose a fair amount of time ) or just remember to grab your phone

I would not leave an old phone for security reasons of course since it's not 'limited' to unlock the cable but let you grab the car and go away

And i would not mod the connector since you will never know when you have kids running in the garage for no reasons or when you'll forgot to stop the charge since you are so used to it