Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Testing has begun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you say the km/hr figure is instantaneous? It is actually a charging session average. So yes, it changes frequently, but it isn't a simple amps times voltage calculation. It is taking an average of amps times voltage over the period of time since charging began. The voltage and amps numbers are instantaneous.

I tried to look it up in the manual, though it didn't specify if it was instantaneous or accumulated. What you say is also what I heard before. The only time I witnessed the charger, was a 80A charger, and it did indeed show voltage and amps changing as it "amped up", while the mi/hr seemed to lag behind. Just like when you measure your average speed on a trip - it will go up if you keep the speed up, but will never be instantaneous.

Tried the charger today. A nice P85+.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400676552.690864.jpg

My wall charger at 32A gave a pretty steady 24kph, and that seemed to be very stable (after just under an hour it said +23km).

I tried charging my roadster at the same time (same MCB, different phase) at 70A and there was no perceptible impact on the Model S charge. Voltage did drop from 219/220V to 216/217V around 6pm, but I think that had more to do with what my neighbors were doing at that time.

The Model S is very quiet while charging. My roadster roars, while the Model S purrs.

And the good news is that while the car may be wide, it fits in my garage ok.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400676572.047629.jpg

Testing is still going on, and going well from what I hear. I had a second visit today - 32A single phase giving around 26km/hr added range. Even at 32A that would be 260km overnight (10 hours).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402048155.731421.jpg

They also dropped off the US-style cable hanger. The type 2 connector won't fit, but at least it hangs the cable neat and tidy.

I will suggest they try to make the type 2 version use the same slot-in base (that screws to the wall) so that this can be simply replaced when the type 2 version is released.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402048385.364658.jpg

Lerxt, definitely prepare for 3-phase.

I saw a Tesla model S charging in the Tesla Motors shop in Copenhagen today. It said 3F - 13/16A 220V, and when I asked, he said that it's because it's three-phase charging, and it only had one charger installed. 3 x 13A = 39A, so that's the 40A limit just there. In this case, the charging would have been much faster with dual chargers, while 80A is worth considering. I am happy I went for the dual chargers - awaiting the development of the charging infrastructure in Hong Kong.

I saw a Tesla model S charging in the Tesla Motors shop in Copenhagen today. It said 3F - 13/16A 220V, and when I asked, he said that it's because it's three-phase charging, and it only had one charger installed. 3 x 13A = 39A, so that's the 40A limit just there. In this case, the charging would have been much faster with dual chargers, while 80A is worth considering. I am happy I went for the dual chargers - awaiting the development of the charging infrastructure in Hong Kong.

The 13/16A is a temporary thing caused by some design issue in the euro-spec cars - early european cars were delivered charging at 16A per phase (single charger), then rapidly got a software update that cut the maximum to 13A. Recently. some of the people with those cars have had a hardware mod that fixes the problem and are back up to 16A.

We've been told in the UK that our RHD cars have this already fixed before delivery, so that should apply to yours in HK too.

In Australia, we are all getting the up-to-40amp wall connector, and those of us with dual chargers, will get either a single phase 80amp or a 3 phase 32 amp connector when they are released next year as a "free" upgrade. So, if you have 3 phase available, definitely wire 3phase in preparation. I believe that our wall connector is identical to the one released for Hong Kong. (and China). Our cars have already been confirmed to be 3 phase capable by Jerome Guillen, and i would be amazed if yours weren't. They have already delivered my connector. Allegedly our cars should be arriving here about the same time as yours in HK, despite our prices only being released last week.

The 13/16A is a temporary thing caused by some design issue in the euro-spec cars - early european cars were delivered charging at 16A per phase (single charger), then rapidly got a software update that cut the maximum to 13A. Recently. some of the people with those cars have had a hardware mod that fixes the problem and are back up to 16A.

We've been told in the UK that our RHD cars have this already fixed before delivery, so that should apply to yours in HK too.

This car only had one charger installed. Hence it can only charge with 40A, unless it's a supercharger. 3 x 13 is 39, so just under the 40A limit. Software update or not, a single charger itself is limited to 40A.

It will be interesting how the charging will be in Hong Kong:

- Will we be able to charge off 13A with mobile chargers?
- How many of the existing ~1000 public 13A charging stations will be upgraded to 40A or more?
- When will we get 80A wall chargers, and will it be 3-phase or 1-phase?

This car only had one charger installed. Hence it can only charge with 40A, unless it's a supercharger. 3 x 13 is 39, so just under the 40A limit. Software update or not, a single charger itself is limited to 40A.

It will be interesting how the charging will be in Hong Kong:

- Will we be able to charge off 13A with mobile chargers?
- How many of the existing ~1000 public 13A charging stations will be upgraded to 40A or more?
- When will we get 80A wall chargers, and will it be 3-phase or 1-phase?
A three phase charger in Model S vehicles is capable of 16A * 3ph * 230VAC = 11.04kW. In Hong Kong you have nominally lower voltage (220VAC), so you will likely see up to 10.56kW from a charging station. The previous poster is correct, the 13A limitation was a firmware limit put in by Tesla on the EU cars. The RHD cars that are going into production should have new firmware and the new three phase junction box so that limit can be removed. The 40A single phase Tesla Wall Connector will deliver up to 8.8kW to the vehicle. So, with a three phase charging station, a single charger car is capable of charging faster than what the single phase Wall Connector can deliver.

Rumor has it that Tesla will produce two new High Power Wall Connectors - one configurable up to 80A single phase and one 32A three phase for the cars that have the Type-2 charge ports.

I was quoting what the Tesla employee told me, upon my query. He must have been misinformed, then.

Tesla and EV Power have been at my home to test my chargers. Everything works perfect and it even charges with 3-phase. Due to a necessary cable upgrade in the Tesla car charger, the Amp was limited to 26A instead of the available 32A. Tesla told me our cars will be able to have a charge current of 32A. The 3 in front of the 26/32A means 3-phase.
Although the charge current was limited to 26A, the display shows it still charges at 85km/hr. With 32A, it will charge at 100km/hr. According to Tesla it's the fastest charger in HK at the moment, faster than in their service center :smile:

Charge Test 1.jpg

Charge Test 2.jpg

Tesla and EV Power have been at my home to test my chargers. Everything works perfect and it even charges with 3-phase. Due to a necessary cable upgrade in the Tesla car charger, the Amp was limited to 26A instead of the available 32A. Tesla told me our cars will be able to have a charge current of 32A. The 3 in front of the 26/32A means 3-phase.
Although the charge current was limited to 26A, the display shows it still charges at 85km/hr. With 32A, it will charge at 100km/hr. According to Tesla it's the fastest charger in HK at the moment, faster than in their service center :smile:
Congrats and happy to learn that it charged in 3-phase. Did they (Tesla folks) say anything about your MS will be enable for 3 phase?

View attachment 51555
View attachment 51556

3x32A would be for Dual Chargers right?
So for Single Chargers, it would be 3x16A right?

ws