Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charges for Fit and Finish Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cousin and her husband took home delivery on a Model Y approximately one month ago (late April 2021). This past weekend, a piece of interior trim completely came off, and she made an appointment to have that replaced, along with two other fit and finish issues they have noticed since owning the car - one of the doors does not close flush, and a "wheel alignment" (not sure if she's referring to the steering wheel being off-center, or the wheels/tires themselves).

However, she is being provided an estimate of nearly $500 to address these issues - $330 for the wheel alignment, ~$20 for the part that fell off, and $125 for the door. Her question is - shouldn't all this be covered under warranty? When I noticed interior trim issues within the first month of ownership, Tesla addressed those promptly, and without charge.

She has tried calling and messaging the service center, but, to my knowledge, has yet to receive any kind of response or explanation.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe this was the Burbank service center, as they live in the Glendale area.

Yeah when my 3 week old cars camera stopped working after a light rain they sent me an estimate of like $350-500 through the app. You could see the water in the camera unit, it was obviously a seal issue. I just didn't accept the estimate and messaged that I felt it was warranty. Someone removed the estimate and the guy just showed up and replaced it. The problem with their app only contact is you can't talk to someone for reasonable things like this. I hope they start to hire more customer facing people to make it easier for us.

I took delivery near the end of March. I noticed within a day or two that the front edge of my hood rubbed the bumper when I would close the frunk. A week or two later I got around to setting up an appointment through the Tesla app on my phone. My estimate was $0. I took it into the dealer for the appointment and they had it in the back for about an hour. When it came out, not only was the front edge lined up perfectly, they also aligned the corner nearest the driver side mirror. Prior, that corner stuck up a bit. I wasn't so concerned about that since it wasn't rubbing anything. I didn't even mention it to the dealership, but they noticed it and proactively fixed it. I was very pleased with the service I received, and as it should be, there was no charge for the work since it came from the factory misaligned.