Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charges whenever plugged in regardless of scheduled charging or stopping it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like this has been asked before but none of the answers match my situation. This is a new 2023 Model Y, just updated with 2022.44.2, but this has been happening before the update (2022.40.4.1). I am aware of the differences between scheduled departure and scheduled charging. I've been charging this way for 3 years so no new process unless it's some obscure setting in the onboard charger?

- No 3rd party app integrations or anything.
- Using Tesla Mobile Connector to a NEMA 14-50.
- Set to a lower amperage of about 14A.
- I am at home, car is unlocked, sentry mode disabled at home.

When I use the app and tap "Stop Charging" to stop the charging, it will start charging again by itself after about 10-15 minutes; I don't believe it even gives the notifications (I have it set to on).

This morning at around 7:45am, I set the scheduled charging to start at 9am. At 8:08am, it started to charge on its own... I did get a notification about this one.

Is this just a bug with this version? Wondering if anyone else sees this.

Appreciate the input!

. I am aware of the differences between scheduled departure and scheduled charging.

As you know there are two settings under scheduled departure, one for precondition and one for “off-peak charger” Make sure a time is set under the “off-peak end time” and that it is enabled, this could have changed.

Set to a lower amperage of about 14A.

This is an incredibly low setting for a 14-50 and is very inefficient. Try setting this to 32A and see what happens.

When I use the app and tap "Stop Charging" to stop the charging, it will start charging again by itself after about 10-15 minutes; I don't believe it even gives the notifications (I have it set to on).

Was scheduled charge or scheduled departure enabled when you tapped “stop charging”?

This morning at around 7:45am, I set the scheduled charging to start at 9am. At 8:08am, it started to charge on its own.

Did you set the start time before you plugged in the car? At what time did you plug in the car?

This is an incredibly low setting for a 14-50 and is very inefficient. Try setting this to 32A and see what happens.

I am just guessing, but the OP has their stated location as Honolulu (hawaii). Hawaii is one of the places in the US that has electricity rates that I believe are even more expensive than mine here in SoCal. Additionally, I think Hawaii has a lot of locations that simply do not allow solar export at all (no net metering), so you have to either have battery storage, or consume it.

A person from Hawaii could be setting a lower charge rate to both power their house and attempt to be putting excess power into the car. Its one of the very few times when I would understand having a low rate like that.

I dont know if this particular OP is doing that but its a particular quirk of Hawaii and electric rates, solar, etc.

I have read of people having issues with scheduled charging. I never have, but I have never (even once) setup scheduled departure. I do know that if you plug in within 6 hours of a scheduled charging time (even after) the car will start charging immediately.

Example:

I have my wifes Model Y set for a scheduled charging time of 4am. The car will charge at 4am till it finishes getting to its set charge point (usually less than an hour). If my wife gets up at 7:30 am and runs errands around town, and gets back home at 9am and plugs the car in, it will immediately start charging. This is because, by design, if you plug in up to 6 hours past a scheduled charging event, the car will charge. More than 6 hours and I believe it will wait till the next scheduled charge.

With all that being said, I have not had an issue where if it starts charging, and I stop it, it starts again within 10-15 minutes. I also have not read about that anywhere, unless there were some automations that someone forgot they setup. Since the OP here is sure that this is not the case with them, I dont have anything to offer related to what might be going on here based on their description.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
As you know there are two settings under scheduled departure, one for precondition and one for “off-peak charger” Make sure a time is set under the “off-peak end time” and that it is enabled, this could have changed.
Both precondition and "off-peak" options are off. Even though I'm not using scheduled departure, this shouldn't affect the scheduled charging option right? I have never used schedule departure actually. But I can try toggling them and see what happens.

@jjrandorin got it correct; my solar and partial net metering is not good. I vary my setting depending on how much sun there is to not draw from the grid. Summer time, I can usually hit 32A and power the house, but not so now in the winter. The only time I will get partial credits for solar exports is between 4pm-8am (when the sun is almost gone!) so I stop charging at 4pm. Our rates were just increased not too long ago and they've already announced planned increases again.

Was scheduled charge or scheduled departure enabled when you tapped “stop charging”?
No, scheduled charge or departure was not enabled. This morning was the first time I turned on scheduled charging since the sun wasn't coming up just yet. These instances of it charging again after I manually stop it were in the past few days.

Did you set the start time before you plugged in the car? At what time did you plug in the car?
Yes, I had set the start time first. My process was I the open the charge port from the menu, set the amperage and then the time to 9am for scheduled charging in the car. Then plugged in the car right after. At 8:08am, it started charging.

Thanks @ATPMSD and @jjrandorin for your input, very much appreciated! I am pretty sure the 2021 Y that I had before this was also on 2022.40.4.1 so this is the first time I'm seeing this. I think maybe a work around to instead of stopping the charge is to change the charge limit so that it completes.

You could try lowering the daily charge limit in 10% increments. The Tesla Model Y may be charging immediately instead of using Scheduled charging because the algorithm believes additional time is required to complete charging at the reduced 14A charging amperage.

Both precondition and "off-peak" options are off. Even though I'm not using scheduled departure, this shouldn't affect the scheduled charging option right? I have never used schedule departure actually. But I can try toggling them and see what happens.

These are mutually exclusive so let’s not confuse the issue. Stick with scheduled charge until the problem is understood.

One more thing to try. Go into the app and turn both schedule departure and scheduled charge off, go to the car and do the same thing. Then reboot the app, then reboot the car. Now try setting schedule charge in the car. Ensure you plug in the car no more than 6-hours ahead of your schedule charge start time. I would also plug in the car at least one hour ahead of the schedule charge time, at least for the test.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Yes, I had set the start time first. My process was I the open the charge port from the menu, set the amperage and then the time to 9am for scheduled charging in the car. Then plugged in the car right after. At 8:08am, it started charging.
There's your problem. The custom amp number and the scheduled start time are memorized values for a charger at a specific location that gets saved. But it won't create that setting unless it is plugged in there at the time you set it. So if you set a time or an amp value and THEN plug in, it's not saving anything.

One more thing to try. Go into the app and turn both schedule departure and scheduled charge off, go to the car and do the same thing. Then reboot the app, then reboot the car. Now try setting schedule charge in the car. Ensure you plug in the car no more than 6-hours ahead of your schedule charge start time. I would also plug in the car at least one hour ahead of the schedule charge time, at least for the test.
Shucks ok, tried this and it didn't work. Same thing. This time set it for 2 hours in the future and plugged it in right after. Started about 30 min later with a notification. Thought maybe a reboot would help since this is actually the first time rebooting the car. I stopped the charging via the app. I just checked again now and it started charging itself again, no notification sent.

There's your problem. The custom amp number and the scheduled start time are memorized values for a charger at a specific location that gets saved. But it won't create that setting unless it is plugged in there at the time you set it. So if you set a time or an amp value and THEN plug in, it's not saving anything.
So this means the scheduled charging start time is always disregarded if it's not saved? This just seems really weird to me since this is the same process I've been doing for 3 years now in my previous Y and two 3s. Since I always plug it in right after setting the schedule in the car, it's never saved? Scheduled Charging has always started on the time I set. What's the recommended way to use Scheduled Charging? I can try that and see if it works.

You could try lowering the daily charge limit in 10% increments. The Tesla Model Y may be charging immediately instead of using Scheduled charging because the algorithm believes additional time is required to complete charging at the reduced 14A charging amperage.
This is mutually exclusive from Scheduled Charging right? It sounds like you're talking about the functions of Scheduled Departure.

I'll try also submit a service ticket and see what they say, although I'm pretty sure they're just going to say it's a software bug. Thank you all for your input and suggestions!

So this means the scheduled charging start time is always disregarded if it's not saved?
It's not weird at all if you think about it for a minute. You want to plug in at home and want to plug in when you get to work. Well, you don't want the one at work to sit there doing nothing all day until your 11:00 PM scheduled start time. So you set a start time for when it is at home for during the night, but then you don't have to futz with it at work and can just let it start whenever it's plugged in, because you don't have a starting time set there.

This just seems really weird to me since this is the same process I've been doing for 3 years now in my previous Y and two 3s. Since I always plug it in right after setting the schedule in the car, it's never saved? Scheduled Charging has always started on the time I set. What's the recommended way to use Scheduled Charging? I can try that and see if it works.
Well, start time has always worked this way on all their vehicles for the last decade, so I don't know what to say about what you've been doing, but the process must have been a little different or something. It won't save the setting memorized to that location if it's not plugged in there when you set it. I guess if you set the time every single time before you plug it in every single time, then maybe it will go ahead and use it for that session, but it's not creating a memorized setting for that location, so it will require doing it every single time then.

As for that last question of recommended? While it is plugged in, then turn on scheduled start time and pick your time. Then it's permanent for there, and you never have to mess with it again at that location.

I guess if you set the time every single time before you plug it in every single time, then maybe it will go ahead and use it for that session, but it's not creating a memorized setting for that location, so it will require doing it every single time then.
Ok, I suppose this is what I've been doing this whole time. I always set it each time because it's not always the same time I want it to start. But this doesn't seem to be the case now; it will just start charging on its own after 20-30 minutes. Even if it's not saved at this location, it should still at least wait til the specified time to start charging right?

Coupled with the issue where I manually stop charging, it will start charging again (with scheduled charging/departure off) by itself after another 15-20 minutes which is is why I suspect something else must be wrong.

Coupled with the issue where I manually stop charging, it will start charging again (with scheduled charging/departure off) by itself after another 15-20 minutes which is is why I suspect something else must be wrong.
Well, the interface for this is terrible and confusing, with mushing together the off-peak, start time, and the scheduled departure choices, only two of which are really scheduling things, and only one of which can be used at a time, and with no explanation that that's how it works. So people try setting two of them, not realizing that only whichever one they picked last is in effect and overrode the other, etc. It's a mess.

Way back, there was only start time, or...not. And it did exactly what it said and no more, and it was simple and pretty understandable. (except had to be plugged in there, as I mentioned)

Since they trashed the interface by adding these other functions in that conflict with each other, this forum has been flooded with new threads every week of confused people trying to figure out why their settings aren't working or aren't doing what they expect.

They need to split this out much more specifically to answer each question: scheduled or not, start or end, etc. And that cabin prewarming just shouldn't be mixed in with the charge scheduling.

This is definitely a Tesla issue. My 2021 M3P started doing this with the update that came out in Sept of 2022. Never had this issue from date of delivery March 2021. Tesla keeps saying everything is ffine.my off peakoil from 112am-3pm.this definitely needs to be fixed. More people should schedule a service so Tesla knows its an issues and fixes it with an update

This is definitely a Tesla issue. My 2021 M3P started doing this with the update that came out in Sept of 2022. Never had this issue from date of delivery March 2021. Tesla keeps saying everything is ffine.my off peakoil from 112am-3pm.this definitely needs to be fixed. More people should schedule a service so Tesla knows its an issues and fixes it with an update
Scheduled charging time doesnt need "off peak oil time" set.

Well, this quite likely could be a combination of both. Other people are not reporting seeing this problem, so it's not likely to be a problem with the update itself. However, updates frequently are known to revert some settings back to other things than what people had them set to before, so you may need to go back and set your charging schedule again.

Ok so here's an update. I worked with the service centre team over the past few days doing test cases and scenarios and they've said it's always starting to charge because of a request coming from the mobile app; this is all coming from the logs in the car. This is for both issues where it disregards Scheduled Charge start time and where it starts charging again on its own after manually stopping it.

All times, I always make sure my app is not open where I might accidentally hit "Start Charge" so it must be doing something in the background. In my last test, I disabled mobile access to the car and Scheduled Charge works as expected where it will start at the scheduled time!

@levi.peters193 Try disable mobile access to the car and see if that works.

Will do more tests to see why it's sending a start charge request and post updates. In the meantime, I have deleted and reinstalled the app so we'll see if that helps. This is the iPhone app and I did have the widgets on the home screen. It's not sending requests to my model X though so it's just this car.

Ok so here's an update. I worked with the service centre team over the past few days doing test cases and scenarios and they've said it's always starting to charge because of a request coming from the mobile app; this is all coming from the logs in the car.
Ah. So I'm going to ask what @jjrandorin would. Have you ever used some other kind of third party app to connect to your car? That will contact the car and send commands, emulating as if it's the mobile app. And it wouldn't matter if you deleted the app; that's just a front end interface for you to make changes. Their servers would still carry on contacting the car if they were set to do something on a schedule.

Ah. So I'm going to ask what @jjrandorin would. Have you ever used some other kind of third party app to connect to your car?
Nope, have never used any 3rd party app or service, only the Tesla mobile app. I'm just afraid it would keep my car awake and use more energy faster. Most I've done is write my own scheduler and send a stop charge command at 3:55pm daily. But i've already turned that off and that was using my old 3's VIN anyway.

About the app deletion, I'm thinking more like starting from a fresh slate of saved settings in the app. Plus it's the standard steps the service team will tell you so just doing it to say it's done and rule it out.

*facepalm*
have never used any 3rd party app or service
write my own scheduler and send a stop charge command
Let's try this again. This time the answer is "yes".
But i've already turned that off
How exactly did you go about turning this off? If something is still communicating, it's still using an existing login, so the usual recommendation would be to change the password of your Tesla login account so that any leftover background logins will fail and must stop.

And holy freaking cow. When people ask if you've used some other external communication software thing, just say it up front. Don't say no, and then have to admit to it later.

Ok sorry, that's my bad. For this new Model Y, no, I have not used any 3rd party app or service connected to this car.

The code I wrote was a lambda function that runs in my own AWS cloud account for my old model 3. I actually wrote it before Tesla implemented their new MFA authentication. I actually stopped using it because it stopped working since I couldn't renew the token with the new authentication method and just never bothered to rewrite it. I undeployed the whole cloud stack so I know for sure it's gone and not running.

Reactions: Rocky_H