Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to override scheduled charging and charge now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newish owner here. For home charging, how do I override the scheduled charging and start charging now? I try hitting "start charging" in the app. It quickly says charging stopped. And I don't see anything in the car controls that would let me start charging now.

Newish owner here. For home charging, how do I override the scheduled charging and start charging now? I try hitting "start charging" in the app. It quickly says charging stopped. And I don't see anything in the car controls that would let me start charging now.

Do you have, or have you ever at any point had ANY third party app at all that can interact with your car? By third party app, I mean ANY app that is not provided by Tesla itself, and that you logged into using your tesla credentials to do anything with the car.

If you ever used such a thing, even if it was "I tried it and stopped using it" try changing your Tesla password on your account, and then try starting charging again.

I use scheduled charging (3am for my model 3, 4am for my wifes model Y) and have never once had an issue tapping the "start charging" button in the app outside of those times and the car immediately starting charging.

The only times I read about that here, are when people signed up for some app / service that interacts with your car, or the charger, to do "smart charging" or "green charging" or something like that.

Reactions: E90alex
I try hitting "start charging" in the app. It quickly says charging stopped. And I don't see anything in the car controls that would let me start charging now.
That "Start Charging" button exists on both the app and in the charging screen on the touch screen in the car. They both do the same thing. I use them both, and they both should work.

So that is the right method. I'm just not sure why it isn't working for you. I'm going to ask a question that may sound obvious. Since it immediately says "Charging stopped" is it already at the charging limit you have set? If it's at the limit, it will not charge above that, no matter how many times you click the button that says "Start charging". So maybe try moving that limit up, and then see if you can get it to start charging when you push the button.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
That "Start Charging" button exists on both the app and in the charging screen on the touch screen in the car. They both do the same thing. I use them both, and they both should work.

So that is the right method. I'm just not sure why it isn't working for you. I'm going to ask a question that may sound obvious. Since it immediately says "Charging stopped" is it already at the charging limit you have set? If it's at the limit, it will not charge above that, no matter how many times you click the button that says "Start charging". So maybe try moving that limit up, and then see if you can get it to start charging when you push the button.
No, it is well below the charge limit. And I have tried several times, so it isn't a one time glitch. Here is the screen with the start charging button. When I touch the button, nothing happens. But when I exit the car, it shows a big charging screen that says charging stopped.

Attachments

• Tesla Charge 1.jpg
    Tesla Charge 1.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Tesla Charge 2.jpg
    Tesla Charge 2.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 14
Did you set specific rules to your charger? Because, that’s what it sounds like you’ve got in place and that’s why the car isn’t able to command a charge.

Remove the rules for the gen3, set rules in your car(s), if you choose to have rules.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! That was it. I didn't remember that the wall connector had that capability. I must have set it while experimenting when I first got it.

I do think that Tesla could give a better error message when this happens.

I do think that Tesla could give a better error message when this happens.
As far as tesla is concerned, your car wasn’t connected to a powered charger. Everything operating as designed.

I assume this to be if you have renters/customers/members of your world and don’t want to afford them the ability to drink in that sweet sweet Peak Rate, juice.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin