TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging alternating between 16A and 32A

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by hokiefan, Oct 30, 2018.

1. hokiefan

hokiefan Member

Recently subscribed to TeslaFi and saw on the charging graph that my charging with a NEMA15-50 plug and the mobile connector varies between 32A and 16A. It dips to 16A for approx 10 minutes. I've charged my mom's S on the same outlet at 40A no problem. Anyone else seeing this?

Attached Files:

2. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

Feel your mobile charger, is it overheating?

Does it go dippy on any other source, like a public J level 2?

Does it go dippy on 120V at home from a different plug.

Phase and frequency and voltage level matters on 240 sources... power company going too far off might cause a dip.

Really curious to hear what you find.

3. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

That is really goofy!

Is the car displaying any errors to you warning you of issues with the power source? (voltage issues causing it to back off on charge speed, or charging handle not locked into car, or receptacle overheating, or the 12" adapter from receptacle to UMC not plugged in all the way?)

The voltage in the graph looks nice and stabile, so that seems unlikely to be the issue.

Thoughts going through my head:
    1. Power supply or UMC issue as described above
    2. The vehicle slowing down charge as it gets close to 100%? (though it is nowhere near)
    3. The vehicle slowing down charging as it needs to cool the battery more before continuing?
    4. Is the AC or vehicle heat kicking on to pre heat or cool the vehicle and so that current to the heat/cooling is taking away available charging capacity to the battery?

Note that I don't use TeslaFi so I am not sure what "normal" is for M3's.

4. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

Here is a normal TeslaFi charge:

upload_2018-10-31_9-3-17.png

5. notAnExpert

notAnExpert Member

Was the S charged using the same mobile connector?