Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Amperage always 1A less than setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that the official response from Tesla is INCORRECT. The in-car readout is also -1A from what the car is set to.

My HPWC is on a 100A circuit and is set to provide a maximum of 80A. My car has a 72A onboard charger. So there should be no problem charging at 40/40A, and yet both the car and app show 39/40A.

This has not been my experience. I only have a 48A charger in the car. My in car readout will be correct/full (EG 30/30), but my app and the api will be 1A less (29/30).

My guess is as long as it's chugging along and even at 1A less, it's far from top of Tesla's priority list to fix. If they had time and expertise to throw at it, they would have figured out the problem with new cars and Gen1 HWPC's, since there are a bunch of Gen1 HWPC's deployed out there as destination chargers, and a lot of new Teslas can't use them reliably.

My son has a 2015 S P85D with a Gen1 mobile adapter. We tried many times to get my 2017 S 100D to charge with it, but it always gives errors and refuses to charge. His charges on my Gen 2 adapter and his Gen 1 just fine though. Weird.

My son has a 2015 S P85D with a Gen1 mobile adapter. We tried many times to get my 2017 S 100D to charge with it, but it always gives errors and refuses to charge. His charges on my Gen 2 adapter and his Gen 1 just fine though. Weird.
Tell tour SC test your car is broken, ask them to fix it. They might just offer you a new HPWC instead - that is what many people who ran into this problem got.

yeah this is a new error for me about a couple months ago, never had a problem on the old software the OP made this thread about. I mean its not having any effect on charging and the car says the correct amps so its not really an issue just a bit of a r/mildlyinfuriating type of thing 🤣