TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging and limiter questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by epley, Nov 26, 2012.

1. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

I have 2 questions for the battery gurus.

1. Plugged in my car last night. Came out this morning to find that the car didn't charge. Only 40% on the battery, so it should have. Thoughts?

2. Today, with only about 40% battery charge, I had limitations on regen AND on max power usage. It was 32 degrees out, but the garage was 42. Why, with much less than a full charge, was it limited? Temperature?

Thanks in advance!

PS--for those on the fence, DO NOT HESITATE! This car is amazing!

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Could be any number of things -- do you confirm the ring turns green when you plug it in? Sometimes if you don't get the cable all the way in, it will turn yellow and only charge at 12A, or maybe not at all.

I have limitations on regen when it's below 50 and things haven't "warmed up yet" (today I saw it started being limited to 15 kW, then moved to 30, then finally to 60). I've seen max power usage limited on mine but assumed it was due to the TPMS error that service is working on.

3. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

Regen is limited a bit for me these last few cold mornings, but disapears after a few min when the car warms up. Power is not limited on my car until very low remaining battery (20-30 rated miles) and has not been affected by the cold (though in Virginia it has not been super cold yet...).

4. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

Thanks, guys! Did get the green confirmation when I plugged in, that's why it's odd.

5. Tommy

Tommy Member

The OP didn't mention if he was plugged into a 240V or 110V outlet; thou most of us know the 110V outlet will only charge a few miles an hour, I thought I would at least mention this possibility in case that was indeed the fact.

6. ibcs

ibcs Member

That happened to me last week and now my UMC is not charging at all either 240 or 110. I'm waiting on a replacement. I would watch it carefully as it could be the UMC which could make it difficult to charge your car without one. In Washington you may not have an issue. In Ohio, I stopped at the local Nissan dealer five miles from home to charge the Model S while waiting on the replacement. My nearest other charge point is 15 miles one way.

7. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

240V/50A outlet via NEMA 14-50 connector.

- - - Updated - - -

UMC?--forgive my ignorance, Google thinks this means United Methodist Church. Is it Universal Modular Connector--i.e., the cord?

8. bint2k

bint2k Member

any more answers to question 2?

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

For Roadster, UMC is "Universal Mobile Connector".

My DS said that for the S they're now calling it MC (dropping the "Universal" part). I didn't ask why they didn't called it EMC (Earthly...) or something else.

10. strider

strider Active Member

The regen limitation is temperature. When lithium-ion's are cold they are limited in how fast they can charge so the car limits regen until the batteries warm up.

As for the power limit, when the charge gets low the car will limit power because internal resistance goes up with a lower state of charge (also factor of lithium-ion chemistry) so rapid discharging generates more heat at low states of charge than at higher ones. 40% seems high for implementing such a scheme though....

11. ibcs

ibcs Member

Just an update to the charger issue. Tesla sent a new charger FedEx and the Model S is charging properly. Great service and follow up.

12. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

Turns out to have been a charger issue--may be a faulty charger or possibly just a "glitch" in the system. Ranger pulled the fuses, waited 5 minutes, and reinserted. Car started charging when plugged in and so far everything is okay...

13. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Another question: is there a visual (LED color) indication that you are charging greater than 10kW? In other words, that the 2nd charger (obviously if installed) is being used? I'd like this for two reasons, (1) to quickly know that a J1772 is really putting out >40A and (2) to feel better about having purchased my HPWC!

I realize you can look at the screen and see charge rate, am wondering about visual confirmation looking just at the charge port.

14. strider

strider Active Member

On the Roadster the charge port flashes based on battery level. The lower the charge the faster it flashes. If my Model S would show up I'd be able to tell you what it does ;) But I doubt it will tell you the rate. You can look on the screen or use the forthcoming smartphone app to find out the charge rate.

15. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I've charged at 70A and haven't noticed any difference.

16. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Thanks for the answer. Charging last night (first time) I was pleased to see that my temporary 6-50 showed 10kW 235V/40A charge so those big wires for the HPWC certainly have NO voltage drop at a 'mere' 40A. Looking forward to 20kW charging!