Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging and model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The outlet for your dryer is NOT designed for a high cycle count. (Plug/Unplug events) If you are planning to unplug the dryer, plug in the car, charge the car, unplug the car, and then plug in the dryer every day you will eventually wear out the outlet. I'm not saying not to do it, but be aware it will go high impedance eventually and need to be replaced. The plug at the outlet may get slightly warm while charging the car - thats OK. You should check the plug on a regular basis while charging - if it starts to get warmer than it did at first that's your warning to replace the outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and gavine
The outlet for your dryer is NOT designed for a high cycle count. (Plug/Unplug events) If you are planning to unplug the dryer, plug in the car, charge the car, unplug the car, and then plug in the dryer every day you will eventually wear out the outlet. I'm not saying not to do it, but be aware it will go high impedance eventually and need to be replaced. The plug at the outlet may get slightly warm while charging the car - thats OK. You should check the plug on a regular basis while charging - if it starts to get warmer than it did at first that's your warning to replace the outlet.

Dryer Buddy solve that issue.

Quick follow up...

How is the setup more complicated? I need to buy a Nema 10-30 adapter from tesla anyway. At the end of the day I am going to have a connector somewhere?

As a side note a 30 amp cable that is Nema 10-30 terminAted is as expensive as à Nema 14-50 cable.

Edit: I get how it would work.. but what I don't get is how it would be more complicated and risky. There is one connector either way.

Thanks!
No sure how you plan on that working if you get a 14-50 extension.
You have the 10-30 plug, 10-30 to 14-50 adapter, 14-50 extension cord, 14-50 Tesla Adapter.

it could work that way but What you'll end up with is having to manually reduce the amps on the car.

Also a 14-50 extension cord is about $50 for 15-20 feet.
My 50ft 10-30 cost me $60

Why not? it's the same plug used in countless RV parks across america.

While real 240V outlets do include two 120V legs, they are both connected to the same double breaker, so if one of them goes out so does the other. Also, 240V sockets are usually on a circuit of their own, no shared with other sockets. You don't have this safety feature with this hack. However, if you do have a 5-15 or 5-20 socket on its own circuit, you can replace it with a 6-15 or 6-20 without re-wiring and replace the single breaker with a double one. That would be much safer and shouldn't cost a lot.
on the Q220 setup if something fails in one leg, the system stops working, it needs both legs energized to output power.

Just because 240v sockets are USUALLY on a circuit of their own doesn't mean they always are. Even you said usually, not always. It's no different than someone plugging in a 1500w space heater. plenty of 120v outlets are tied to a single circuit all you're doing with the Q220 is hooking up 2 space heaters, and because the system won't work without being attached to the two different legs you're guaranteed you aren't plugging into the same circuit

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
Quick follow up...
but what I don't get is how it would be more complicated and risky. There is one connector either way.
Fewer adapters - generally safer. I haven't seen the Tesla adapters in person, but from the pictures it looks like it provides a good mechanical connection to the mobile connector cable that is more secure than adapters that use the blades for the mechanical connection.

30 amp cable case; Tesla 10-30 or 14-30 Adapter / 30 amp cable / Connected to wall
50 amp cable case; Tesla 14-50 Adapter / 50 amp cable / 14-50 to 10-30 or 14-30 Adapter / Connected to wall

Why not? it's the same plug used in countless RV parks across america.

True - however 2 cycles per day is actually a much higher cycle rate than a typical RV site which has at absolute most one cycle per day and likely much less as most sites are occupied for more than one day at a time and are also not occupied every day.

Also, in my experience RVing, I have had outlets replaced twice at my site due to no/poor contact. Was told by one guy who replaced one that they order them by the case and replace at least one per week.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
With the Nema 10-30 though I get 6 to 7x capacity (22 miles per hour apparently!!). Also that quick 220 thing seems like a hack. I am not sure that is going to look good if something happens. I think Nema 10-30 + Tesla adapter look better, but It's all subjective. I agree that Nema 14-50 would look a 100 times better than all this :(

FWIW, I was in a similar situation while I was in a rental so I did something similar to this, but without using something like the quick 220 since that functionality is mostly already built into the car. This gave me 3.6 kW or around 12 mi/hr charging rate.

I found two outlets in the garage that were on different phases, one to the garage door opener and the other on the wall, and confirmed that they were each on circuits with 20A breakers. I ran heavy-duty, 20A-rated, extension cords from each outlet to a portable electrical box where I cut off the female ends and wired them to a NEMA 6-15 outlet rated for 240V at 15A. I connected the Tesla mobile connector with a NEMA 6-15 adapter to this outlet. When you use the 6-15 adapter, it automatically tells the car to pull no more than 15A, so no need to remember to set anything in the car.

As others have mentioned, you do have two potential concerns with doing this:
  1. While the car is charging, both circuits will be at their maximum continuous capacity of 15A. If you try to use those circuits for anything else at the same time, you'll likely trip a breaker. This wasn't much of a concern for me since I only charge the car at night during off-peak rates.
  2. Since the breakers are on separate circuits, one could trip without tripping the other. This is totally a concern if you had some dumb 240V device connected, but the car has an intelligent charger that will stop charging if it senses the loss of one phase, so it wasn't a concern to me. I tested it to be sure and the car even alerted me to the loss of power.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak

My main understanding is that the car remembers power settings based on GPS location so I assume I will have to update settings regularly but could you please confirm?

My main fear is: what happens if I forget to downgrade the amps when I plug into the standard outlet? E.g. I would attempt to pull 24 amp from a standard outlet. Is the car "intelligent" so that it remember not to pull more than 12 amps when using 110 volts?

Thanks!
If you do use the Tesla 10-30 adapter the question is moot, but if the Model 3 works like the Model S the car will remember your amp setting based on your GPS location. I used a 10-30 dryer outlet with a DIY adapter at my parents' house and my car did remember the 24 A setting. I always checked it anyway, just to make sure.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
True - however 2 cycles per day is actually a much higher cycle rate than a typical RV site which has at absolute most one cycle per day and likely much less as most sites are occupied for more than one day at a time and are also not occupied every day.

Also, in my experience RVing, I have had outlets replaced twice at my site due to no/poor contact. Was told by one guy who replaced one that they order them by the case and replace at least one per week.
Why would you have two cycles a day?

RVs use 14-50 for 240v feeds, and there are 14-50 outlets that are designed to be used in an environment with frequent disconnects. The common ones you get in the big box stores aren't usually this kind. The RV ones will cost north of $50.

10-30 outlets are pretty much strictly for dryers, and are not intended for frequent disconnects. At least, I've never found / heard of one that is, and certainly one that is inside your house will not be. If your outlet is a 10-30, best bet is to get a Dryer Buddy.

While you aren't going to get a lot of charging by plugging into a standard 120v outlet, it's still a good idea to keep an EV plugged in. They aren't like ICEs, where you let them run down to empty before filling them up. We do that because going to a gas station is annoying. With an EV, just get in the habit of plugging it in whenever you get home. It only takes a few seconds, and is best for the car's battery.

While real 240V outlets do include two 120V legs, they are both connected to the same double breaker, so if one of them goes out so does the other....You don't have this safety feature with this hack.
On the Quick 220, if one input goes down, the entire Quick 220 goes down as well. Meh to counterpoint.

It's a great and safe solution to us condo/apartment dwellers where it is difficult to get 220V installed. 12mph charge, should cover most daily commutes with just a few hours charging (which btw can be done in between dinner and bedtime, in case you are worried about leaving the "hack" unattended while sleeping).

That's not going to be a problem because we don't currently use the outlet. We own a gas dryer. Thanks for the feedback though I will make sure to keep it plugged in.

Fewer adapters - generally safer. I haven't seen the Tesla adapters in person, but from the pictures it looks like it provides a good mechanical connection to the mobile connector cable that is more secure than adapters that use the blades for the mechanical connection.

30 amp cable case; Tesla 10-30 or 14-30 Adapter / 30 amp cable / Connected to wall
50 amp cable case; Tesla 14-50 Adapter / 50 amp cable / 14-50 to 10-30 or 14-30 Adapter / Connected to wall
I get it now. Definitely will buy the 10-30 extension cord

Any body got any suggestion for a weather proof Nema 10-30 extension cord? I am having a really, really hard time finding anything on Amazon :(

Did find something for $108 though for a 25 feet long... much more than you guys mentioned. Though I was looking for something "weather proof" since I am planning to park the car outside