Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging beyond 90% daily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last Summer I found the navigation charge estimate was very conservative, I would arrive with 10 to 20% more charge then it predicted. But this winter I am finding that navigation charge estimate is optimistic. If the nav predicts I will arrive with 20%, I usually arrive with 10%.

If I saw that screen on my way to work, there is no way I would not find some way to charge before heading home.

This would be starting from 67%, a far cry from the standard 90

There's a supercharger outside of Buffalo. If she's short on charge coming home after starting out at 90%, then stop there for a quick topoff. Also, maybe turn off Sentry and other draining features when at work. Also you can simulate some of the worst weather conditions on ABRP to see what helps like slowing down on the highway, etc. I mean if it's a snow day, the speeds are slower as well, so one offsets the other. Then again, how much heat does she like to use. All those things can make a difference, but surely be prepared to top up somewhere on the route.

There's a supercharger outside of Buffalo. If she's short on charge coming home after starting out at 90%, then stop there for a quick topoff. Also, maybe turn off Sentry and other draining features when at work. Also you can simulate some of the worst weather conditions on ABRP to see what helps like slowing down on the highway, etc. I mean if it's a snow day, the speeds are slower as well, so one offsets the other. Then again, how much heat does she like to use. All those things can make a difference, but surely be prepared to top up somewhere on the route.

If you know the Buffalo area we are in Akron. The super charger in Williamsville is actually like 30 miles past us on the Thruway, and the supercharger for Rochester is in Victor which is way way outside the city. She has some level 2 options in Rochester and on the way home if she has to. Based on the numbers I'm seeing today though I think she will be fine. I'm hoping someday they get more of the SC's on the main highways around here.

This situation is cutting it too close for my comfort. Like it has been mentioned, there's no room for error.
There has to be somewhere that she can charge close to work, or is there a 120v option at work?
Sorry that you have to think about this so much! Winters are brutal on EVs, but still far better than owning an ICE.

This situation is cutting it too close for my comfort. Like it has been mentioned, there's no room for error.
There has to be somewhere that she can charge close to work, or is there a 120v option at work?
Sorry that you have to think about this so much! Winters are brutal on EVs, but still far better than owning an ICE.

Believe it or not, the only viable option are level 2s behind a pay for parking situation. I think after looking at some information today via the nav screen and teslastics, we are going to be just fine. There is a level 2 about 75% of the way home that is free and accessible if its an absolute emergency. Like I said before, Tesla did a pretty bad job of locating the supercharger in relation to Rochester. I know it's not entirely up to them but even our only service center is very near the city and they don't even have an accessible charger except a 220 in their garages. One would have figured with the enormous plot of land they have, they would put the superchargers there. Seems it would benefit them as well as make it a more viable option for the city. IMG_20200121_103857.jpg

Reactions: toolman335
I'm in Southern Ontario (similar climate to yours) and got my SR+ late in March 2019 so this is my first real experience with it in Winter. So far it has surpassed my expectations in terms of its range in the Winter. In my opinion, your Wife is experiencing irrational range anxiety. I just got back from a highway road trip where the temps ranged from 16 - 25 F. With the heat set at 67 F and the seat warmer at 1 bar, the car averaged 299 Wh/mile which accounting for 5% in battery degradation and departing with 90% charge would afford 143 miles of range. If the commute is only 100 miles round trip, in my opinion that is plenty of buffer even accounting for an unplugged 15 minute preheat prior to departing her work. My advice is to favorite a few level 2 chargers in the Nav that are located on her way home for her own piece of mind more than anything. Here are some other suggestions to maximize Winer efficiency:

1) Set the cold tire pressure at 45 PSI but do so when it is extremely cold out....not in a heated garage
2) Make sure you have your aero wheels on. I had mine off for the warmer months but put them back on
3) Pre-heat on HI while plugged in for 15+ minutes before departing to ensure regen is working well
4) Pre-heat on HI for 15+ minutes before departing work. I find this uses 4-5% battery but activates the regen which makes the drive home much more efficient
5) Make sure Sentry Mode is set to be turned off at work. This thing is a battery hog! If work is safe and you are looking to increase efficiencies this is important.

Reactions: KenC
I'm in Southern Ontario (similar climate to yours) and got my SR+ late in March 2019 so this is my first real experience with it in Winter. So far it has surpassed my expectations in terms of its range in the Winter. In my opinion, your Wife is experiencing irrational range anxiety. I just got back from a highway road trip where the temps ranged from 16 - 25 F. With the heat set at 67 F and the seat warmer at 1 bar, the car averaged 299 Wh/mile which accounting for 5% in battery degradation and departing with 90% charge would afford 143 miles of range. If the commute is only 100 miles round trip, in my opinion that is plenty of buffer even accounting for an unplugged 15 minute preheat prior to departing her work. My advice is to favorite a few level 2 chargers in the Nav that are located on her way home for her own piece of mind more than anything. Here are some other suggestions to maximize Winer efficiency:

1) Set the cold tire pressure at 45 PSI but do so when it is extremely cold out....not in a heated garage
2) Make sure you have your aero wheels on. I had mine off for the warmer months but put them back on
3) Pre-heat on HI while plugged in for 15+ minutes before departing to ensure regen is working well
4) Pre-heat on HI for 15+ minutes before departing work. I find this uses 4-5% battery but activates the regen which makes the drive home much more efficient
5) Make sure Sentry Mode is set to be turned off at work. This thing is a battery hog! If work is safe and you are looking to increase efficiencies this is important.

All these things have been duly noted. It's a real bummer about sentry mode though. She works in a not so decent area and sentry mode was a huge selling point for us but we quickly learned it's not going to be an option for us.

All these things have been duly noted. It's a real bummer about sentry mode though. She works in a not so decent area and sentry mode was a huge selling point for us but we quickly learned it's not going to be an option for us.

If her work is in a bad area and you'd prefer to keep Sentry mode on, from what I've read it will use 3 - 4 % of the battery while on for an 8 hour period. Perhaps you can find enough efficiencies elsewhere where the 3 - 4 % won't matter. Pick consecutive commuting days where the temperature is the same, one with Sentry on at work and one with Sentry off and see what the difference is upon returning home. I was surprised to learn how important it was to preheat on HI for 15+ minutes both ways so regen is working as soon as you depart. I had previously been preheating for 5 minutes at a medium temperature which made the cabin comfortable but didn't do much for the regen and the efficiency once on the road. Bumping the cold PSI to 45 also made an incremental difference.

If her work is in a bad area and you'd prefer to keep Sentry mode on, from what I've read it will use 3 - 4 % of the battery while on for an 8 hour period. Perhaps you can find enough efficiencies elsewhere where the 3 - 4 % won't matter. Pick consecutive commuting days where the temperature is the same, one with Sentry on at work and one with Sentry off and see what the difference is upon returning home. I was surprised to learn how important it was to preheat on HI for 15+ minutes both ways so regen is working as soon as you depart. I had previously been preheating for 5 minutes at a medium temperature which made the cabin comfortable but didn't do much for the regen and the efficiency once on the road. Bumping the cold PSI to 45 also made an incremental difference.

I think we will be fine with sentry either way particularly in the warmer weather. I will definitely experiment.

Update: she took the car today. It was 20F here and as we speak the car shows 146 miles range. I don't know what happens the frost couple of trips but something leveled out. When she got to work at 8 it showed 150, so four miles have fallen of in 3 hours. I know Sentry is off, what else could it be?

Reactions: house9
Make sure preconditioning is off too, and cabin overheat protection (that shouldn't apply in the winter, but just in case). Also avoid high acceleration rates and high speeds when driving, and shut down / disable any apps you have that might be collecting data on your car, e.g. from your phone / computer. You may need to log into the app(s) to turn off the data collection features.

I get the sense that @Turlejay does not want to tell his wife this. ;)

For sure. Could you imagine? Hey honey i know I talked you into a 41000 car but you can't use the heat and you need to bundle up like it's a Bills game. Riiiiight. Everything is fine now, there was plenty of energy to spare today. For whatever reason the first couple of test runs were wonky. She wasn't making it up though because Tesla looked into it real time when she first had a panic attack on the road. Thanks for the help everyone.

If you have to charge to 90% or more for your daily commute you need a car with longer range.
Time for a trade in. Better for your wife to be safe rather than sorry.
She will hate both you and electric vehicles if she gets stuck with no charge on the road.
Unless she can charge at work in the near future, make her happy and get a long range EV.

If you have to charge to 90% or more for your daily commute you need a car with longer range.
Time for a trade in. Better for your wife to be safe rather than sorry.
She will hate both you and electric vehicles if she gets stuck with no charge on the road.
Unless she can charge at work in the near future, make her happy and get a long range EV.

The car is a month old. I dont want to open a can of worms, but we really got bad advice from the S.A. I know at the end of the day it's my fault for not doing enough due diligence. We inquired about long range and we're made to believe we needed to order awd to get it. Feels stupid saying it out loud now. Luckily there's not much of an issue now that we did some tinkering with habits. Next go round we will be looking at LR Model Y or maybe a used X