Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging beyond 90% for short period of time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that charging beyond 90% is intended only for trips because it puts pressure on the batteries. My question is if I charged to 100% then drove immediately would that have less of a negative impact vs charging to 100% and leaving overnight?

this has been covered many times over in many different threads.
bad = charging to 100% and letting the car sit for hour after charging
ok = charging to 100% and then using the car and lowering the SOC.

there are reports of people doing just this everyday for years and over 100k miles and reporting no ill effects. and elon would tell you the same.
charge wisely and enjoy your car

this has been covered many times over in many different threads.
bad = charging to 100% and letting the car sit for hour after charging

there are reports of people doing just this everyday for years and over 100k miles and reporting no ill effects. and elon would tell you the same.
charge wisely and enjoy your car

Perfect thank you. Don't know why I didn't see an answer that clear anywhere else. Sorry for the repost.

I'm new... i'm not quite sure what this means? State of charge? Are you saying as soon as it hits 100% you drive it back down below 90%?

Whereas charging to 100% and leaving it plugged in is bad? Doesn't he car shutoff the current once it hits the desired rate?

I'm new... i'm not quite sure what this means? State of charge? Are you saying as soon as it hits 100% you drive it back down below 90%?

Whereas charging to 100% and leaving it plugged in is bad? Doesn't he car shutoff the current once it hits the desired rate?

It does stop charging. The issue is the cells degrade faster when left fully charged and when stored at high temperatures. Doing both at the same is even worse.

Charge above 90% if you need the range, but it's best to immediately leave when done charging. A popular technique is to charge to 90% the night before a trip and then complete the charge to 90-100% in the morning before you leave. In cold weather this also warms up the battery pack which will allow regenerative braking to work at higher charge rates.

It does stop charging. The issue is the cells degrade faster when left fully charged and when stored at high temperatures. Doing both at the same is even worse.

Charge above 90% if you need the range, but it's best to immediately leave when done charging. A popular technique is to charge to 90% the night before a trip and then complete the charge to 90-100% in the morning before you leave. In cold weather this also warms up the battery pack which will allow regenerative braking to work at higher charge rates.

How long does it take to go from 90 to 100% when charging from a 40v charger in a garage? I am anew owner (less than 1 week) and do not mean to high jack this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: vrykolas
How long does it take to go from 90 to 100% when charging from a 40v charger in a garage? I am anew owner (less than 1 week) and do not mean to high jack this thread.
40v or 40amp? :p;)

If you're using the UMC at 240v and 40amp (with the NEMA 14-50 adapter) you should get approximately 25 miles per hour of charging time. So, depending on which model of X you have (because 90% on a 75D isn't the same number of Rated miles as 90% on a 90D or P100D) it should take from a bit less than an hour (75D) to close to an hour and a half (P100D) to fully top it off.

There's a handy calculator for this information at...

Charge At Home | Tesla

Except, of course, you don't get full regen when the pack is completely full either. :p;)

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I have got a handle of the nomenclature too. I have a 75d, it is currently 3 dgs below 0 right now. I have a 130 mile round trip tomorrow (it will be about 10 dgs then) and I hope to do it without charging until the end. So far, I really like this car.

Reactions: goneskiian