Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging collaboration at work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks again for those of you that gave some productive responses. ewoodrick and bpjones: your responses were a bit condescending, so maybe you didn't understand my situation:

1) Charging where I work is free. Our company has purposely provided this perk for free to provide an extra incentive to employees to make the move to EV and to reward EV owners with free charging. So I don't feel bad about charging at work and not at home.
2) My use case was to allow my charger to be freed up as soon as my car was done charging. I do not park next to a chargepoint location ALL DAY. As soon as my app notifies me that I'm done charging, I make every attempt to get out to my car and move it. But I might be in a meeting and would want the owner of a neighboring car to be able to use my charging cable and know that my charging is done. That's all.

I fully understand the charging etiquette at my place of work. I was merely asking about how the Tesla charging port door worked and whether others had use cases of collaborative charging at work.

I didn’t mean to be condescending @souperdave816 and apologize. The key piece I was missing (and you cleared up in your reply) was the acknowledgement that the EV owner should move the car when done charging. I was imagining a situation where prospective EV owners in your workplace see the charging spots, but also notice that they’re always occupied by the same group of cars. I could see this as a turn-off for a prospective EV buyer who sees that the capacity is fully utilized.

Thanks for the clarification and the benefit of the doubt in your response.

One last point back on topic of your original question... After reading the forum for quite a while, one thing that’s painfully clear is that the Tesla charging port and equipment is far from perfect. I’m not sure I’d want to assume the liability of messing with others property with adapters, charge port doors, plugs, and all. I get that, in your situation, these are coworkers and not strangers, but charging repairs could be quite costly and might strain even the best of relationships. Quite possible that I’m just too paranoid and over-cautious.

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: peakshaving
I’m not sure I’d want to assume the liability of messing with others property with adapters, charge port doors, plugs, and all. I get that, in your situation, these are coworkers and not strangers, but charging repairs could be quite costly and might strain even the best of relationships. Quite possible that I’m just too paranoid and over-cautious.
Ah, there's that way of thinking I've seen often before, that the J1772 handle is part of someone's car or personal property. It's not. It belongs to the company they work for.

Ah, there's that way of thinking I've seen often before, that the J1772 handle is part of someone's car or personal property. It's not. It belongs to the company they work for.

I get that @Rocky_H, but am not really comfortable with others tugging at a (company owned) charging cable in the car's socket that clearly I own. I’m careful to insert cleanly and straight on. No guarantee others would be as gentle. Earlier in the thread, I saw the Leaf has multiple lock modes for the cable. I’m not sure how to tell what mode they’re in, nor do I really want to learn. The last thing the Leaf owner needs is me fumbling around his charging setup.

I fear this post may be more about my idiosyncrasies than helpful to others so I’ll just leave it at that.

Seems like no good deed goes unpunished. Company trys to offer a perk to encourage EV use, but will only encure the wrath of non EV drivers. Those using the free juice will never be satisfied if it has any possible inconvenience to them.

Lots of work arounds, but if the goal is to get all the free juice you can, but never be bothered to unplug when full, that screems of entitlement. Everyone else needs to condesend to your needs.

Suggestions. If you have a meeting scheduled during your charging session, move your car before the meeting.
If you are not really comfortable with others tugging at a your plugged in car in a gentle manner that will be acceptable to you, then maybe this is not the place for you to charge in. If you charge at home you can plug/unplug just the way you want.

It is really the employee's onus to not be a pain in the neck and take advantage of a company perk to the detriment of other employees.

Employees plugging in will need to go with the flow, and act as appreciative of the perk as possible, but not over manage in an attempt to optimize that community service for their personal optimum usage.