TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging Error 981

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by suxxer, Mar 27, 2011.

1. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Just got charging error 981 while trying to charge using the UMC with a 10A adapter (using a standard Swiss socket which are rated 230V/10A - 2.3kWh is better than nothing).

I plugged the UMC to a socket which was on the end of my extension cord. Looks like the UMC checks if it detects a significant voltage drop when testing the power line. I guess that i have a voltage drop of around +/-20V due to the long cord (~100 ft from the socket.). So I got error #981 "Charging Problem" all the time - the Roadster only reached the blinking blue status before turning to red. Finally connecting directly to another 10A socket nearby yielded no error.

So if you get #981 it's most probably due to bad wirings...

2. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

I was never able to charge the roadster using an extension cord. Even when trying with 10A only.

3. daghb

daghb Member

No problem here. Keep in mind you must stick to quality cords with proper diameter only. Too much resistance or unstraightened cords (loops) may cause melted cords.

4. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

in my underground garage, i have a 50m (150ft) with 2.5mm extension cord. most i charge with 13A. I often get the error "problem with extension cord detected' but goes on with charging. i am using the standard-cabel with max. 16A.

5. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

if the voltage drops below 210 V you get the error message, but the UMC will continue charging. ( my own experience) below 200 V the UMC stops charging, will try again after 30 s and will stop finally after 5 retries. ( the tec , who did my 20.000 km maintenaince told me so )

In addition to daghb : If you use schuko sockets, you may also get contact problems with worn out schuko sockets which results in a higher resistance.

6. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

hmm..ok. My UMC is retrying hard to start the charge....voltage must be below 200 V then ;(