Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Error Alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bit of a random one…

Out of curiosity I was going through the alerts tab in my MY a few days ago and noticed that there were several charging error alerts - worth noting at this point that although they were in my alerts tab, the car never showed these as unread alerts…The error code was as follows and was reported several times:

PCS_A023 Unable To Charge

What makes this even stranger is that the time stamps were at times when the car was not scheduled to charge (although it was plugged in).

Even stranger is that the car has been charging absolutely fine with no issues.

Has anyone else come across this?

Attachments

• IMG_6223.jpeg
    IMG_6223.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_6236.jpeg
    IMG_6236.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_6237.jpeg
    IMG_6237.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 187
Not charging but plugged in? Almost sounds like the scheduling app isn’t talking to the charging system so it thinks it should be charging but isn’t so it throws an error.

Have you been doing anything with the car during the time stamps? Opened doors, accessed car through app?

I have a bit of a random one…

Out of curiosity I was going through the alerts tab in my MY a few days ago and noticed that there were several charging error alerts - worth noting at this point that although they were in my alerts tab, the car never showed these as unread alerts…The error code was as follows and was reported several times:

PCS_A023 Unable To Charge

What makes this even stranger is that the time stamps were at times when the car was not scheduled to charge (although it was plugged in).

Even stranger is that the car has been charging absolutely fine with no issues.

Has anyone else come across this?
I had same alert in week old Y LR, while car was parked and not charging. I am right now 700km from home on trip, so I got not necessary scary moments as new Tesla owner:) But I have tried charging AC and DC and both is fine and no other alert appeared.

I seem to get the Unable to charge error everyday when I return home and plugin (no scheduled charging). I come home and the wall charger is green. I plugin and it turns blue, car inidicator light turns blue and it says "unable to charge" and further research in the car error says "no power or no power source detected." - this doesn't make sense as it has power (the light is on). Car seems fine.

Note the only way I have fixed this is to flip the breaker off and on. then it charges fine. This is a 50 amp breaker. I have played with power supply limits in the app (turning up and down the amps allowed) and it doesn't seem to effect the error.

I wonder if this is related to communication (the wireless signal in the metal building that the wall charger is on isn't the best) but it works for software updates and such. Not sure if it is charger not communicating to car that it has power or what ? but breaker flip seems to work, but its annoying to do that everyday.

I seem to get the Unable to charge error everyday when I return home and plugin (no scheduled charging). I come home and the wall charger is green. I plugin and it turns blue, car inidicator light turns blue and it says "unable to charge" and further research in the car error says "no power or no power source detected." - this doesn't make sense as it has power (the light is on). Car seems fine.

Note the only way I have fixed this is to flip the breaker off and on. then it charges fine. This is a 50 amp breaker. I have played with power supply limits in the app (turning up and down the amps allowed) and it doesn't seem to effect the error.

I wonder if this is related to communication (the wireless signal in the metal building that the wall charger is on isn't the best) but it works for software updates and such. Not sure if it is charger not communicating to car that it has power or what ? but breaker flip seems to work, but its annoying to do that everyday.
Try charging using the Tesla Mobile Connector or using a public charging station. This will help determine if the issue to the Tesla Model Y or to the Tesla Wall Connector.

Troubleshooting a Tesla Wall Connector:

https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/troubleshooting#offline

I'll take a look and see if there is any firmware that needs to be updated, but it should have connection to the WiFi in the building and do that automatically no ?

I don't have issues/errors like this from anywhere else (Superchargers or other plugs), so I'm pretty sure it is the Wall Connector

Reactions: UncaNed
I also have recently gotten the PCS_a023 unable to charge message a couple of times, BUT have noticed no charging issues otherwise and I believe at least the last one was not during a charging session. On my wall connector I also had a message once that said High ground resistance detected, charging disabled but no issues charging. This message was also for sure not during an active charging session. I can't say whether the car was connected to the wall connector during these events.

I have had the car (2023 MY LR and the gen 3 wall connector) about two months. I was concerned about the wall connector message more than the car message so had the installing electrician come back out and recheck everything, everything checked out and he saw nothing wrong, changed out the breaker as a precaution, rechecked the torque at all connections, all looked good. All electrical readings looked good too.

My install is pretty short run (maybe five feet) from the breaker box and is 8 AWG THHN wire run in conduit and I have noticed some warmth when charging (40a limit).

Today I took some temperature readings and the breaker is 20 degrees F warmer than ambient, conduit is 15 degrees F warmer than ambient and charging cord is 10 degrees warmer than ambient.

I have opened a ticket with Tesla service for October 3rd, will see what they say.

On a side note in conversation with my Tesla approved electrician they strongly recommend the wall connector vs a 15-40 plug and the mobile connector. They have seen some failed or failing plugs, even high end $120 ones with around 24 months of time in use. I know there are folks here that say otherwise, but this company installs a lot of EV wall connectors and that is their field experience talking after a few years of installs.

SHG

I've had an error message indicating that charging has stopped that pops up every so often for the past couple of weeks. My car is being charged using the mobile connector on a 15 amp circuit. One time the message stated that the voltage was too low. So I took a look at the mobile connector and it looked like the cable that attaches to the socket was slightly popped up from where the other end goes into the charger. I pulled it apart and reseated it and then charging was fine. But since that time, I've had the charging has stopped error message pop up again a few times. The connector is correctly assembled and all the fittings are tight.

Today my wife saw the message. So she reset the breaker and started charging again. Since then it's been fine, but who knows when it'll show an error again?

I've had an error message indicating that charging has stopped that pops up every so often for the past couple of weeks. My car is being charged using the mobile connector on a 15 amp circuit. One time the message stated that the voltage was too low. So I took a look at the mobile connector and it looked like the cable that attaches to the socket was slightly popped up from where the other end goes into the charger. I pulled it apart and reseated it and then charging was fine. But since that time, I've had the charging has stopped error message pop up again a few times. The connector is correctly assembled and all the fittings are tight.

Today my wife saw the message. So she reset the breaker and started charging again. Since then it's been fine, but who knows when it'll show an error again?
Inspect the 120V receptacle for signs of overheating. If the receptacle is more than 10 years old it should be replaced. Receptacles do get old and wear out. Replace with a quality contractor grade receptacle (these are boxed individually or in sets but not sold loose in bins.) Make sure that the wires are attached to the screw down terminals on the receptacle (not the push in connections on the back of the 120V receptacle. (The push in connections are only suitable for indoor receptacles that will be used with low wattage appliances such as table radios, TVs, plug in lamps, etc.)

As you have observed, the power plug adapter can come loose from the Mobile Connector Chassis. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector. The bracket supports the weight of the Mobile connector and relieves the strain on the receptacle and plug (never designed to support additional weight.) You can find similar cable organizer kits and mounting brackets on Amazon, eBay and on Etsy. You can also make your own support bracket as long as the stress (weight) of the Mobile Connector is relieved. Otherwise, the wiring inside the molded plug can be pulled, stressed and will eventually fail. (If everything else checks out the Tesla Mobile Connector 5-15 power plug adapter may already be damaged and need to be replaced.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLex
Inspect the 120V receptacle for signs of overheating. If the receptacle is more than 10 years old it should be replaced. Receptacles do get old and wear out. Replace with a quality contractor grade receptacle (these are boxed individually or in sets but not sold loose in bins.) Make sure that the wires are attached to the screw down terminals on the receptacle (not the push in connections on the back of the 120V receptacle. (The push in connections are only suitable for indoor receptacles that will be used with low wattage appliances such as table radios, TVs, plug in lamps, etc.)

As you have observed, the power plug adapter can come loose from the Mobile Connector Chassis. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector. The bracket supports the weight of the Mobile connector and relieves the strain on the receptacle and plug (never designed to support additional weight.) You can find similar cable organizer kits and mounting brackets on Amazon, eBay and on Etsy. You can also make your own support bracket as long as the stress (weight) of the Mobile Connector is relieved. Otherwise, the wiring inside the molded plug can be pulled, stressed and will eventually fail.
Thanks. I do in fact have the Cable Organizer for the Mobile Connector.

Great tip about checking the receptacle. I've found that in my kitchen, the electrician used the push in connections. AFAIK, the outdoor outlet (a GFCI unit), is just a standard Leviton. What do you suggest I replace it with? And yes, I'll be sure to use the screw terminals and not the push in connectors.

Reactions: Bobbo8

I.ve had the exact same issue, it started after a recent update on Sept 15th. But flipping the breaker isn’t helping. Green light on the wall charger but no power to the car. Fortunately I was on a road trip last week and I have a spare Clipper Creek 32A wall charger. (My Tesla unit is >10 years old though)

Reactions: Bobbo8
I.ve had the exact same issue, it started after a recent update on Sept 15th. But flipping the breaker isn’t helping. Green light on the wall charger but no power to the car. Fortunately I was on a road trip last week and I have a spare Clipper Creek 32A wall charger. (My Tesla unit is >10 years old though)
I've been inspecting my unit this weekend and come to the conclusion that it's just worn out. It's been in virtually daily use since OCTOBER 2012(!)

My mobile connector started giving me intermittent "Charging Error" and "No Power" notices on my Tesla APP, and intermittently lowers, shuts off, then restarts charging here at home. It lowers my charging amperage from the usual maximum 32 amps to 16 amps or lower while trying to charge my March 2018 X75D.

It's the same formerly reliable, trouble free mobile connector and 240 volt 50 AMP breaker circuit I've had since mid 2018.

It started after I first lowered the charging amp from the usual 32 amps to 16 amps by using the touchscreen in the car, and I was surprised to learn I could not raise the amps past 16 using the phone APP.

Nothing in the system seems to be running hot, and there is no reason to think the voltage is being lowered (the APP says there's over 240 volts the whole time), so there's no reason to think there's really any issue with the power source.

What am I missing? If something in my charging system was "worn out", what exactly is there that might wear out?

TIA.

One possibility: Check the wiring terminations at the receptacle and at the circuit breaker. If loose the resistance would rise and the receptacle or breaker could overheat.

Another: Do you have the Mobile Connector chassis mounted/supported or is hanging from the power plug adapter? Over time the power plug adapter can fail due to the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed
I get the error messages being logged in the notifications tab almost continuously but in my case the error code is PCS_a022 rather than PCS_a023. In my case, the vehicle is not plugged in and also charges properly when I connect it to either a Supercharger or a Level 2 charger. I've requested a service appointment at my local Tesla service centre. I'll report back anything that they find or tell me.