Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today i got home plugged in my car like I always do and got a red light charger says fault. Car won’t charge. Charger work on my other MY. Any ideas? I scheduled an appointment but earliest is 2 weeks out. First issue in 17k mile

36E333B6-96AC-491A-9B42-A6BC09626EA4.jpeg

You need to be very specific about the kind of charger you are using. Tesla doesn't make a 'dual' charger.

Try the UMC, or try a supercharger nearby(if there is one). A supercharger bypasses lots of the internal circuitry of the tesla.

And finally, take a look at the charging port connectors of the Tesla, to see if there's anything stuck in them.

The light on the car is red it wont charge level 2 at home. I am using a clipper creek. Like i said before the charger works on my other MY but my MYP has the fault on the car and charger. I can’t take it to a super charger to test that but i would assume it would fail there also. Nothing stuck in charge port

Last edited:
I've seen several threads now of both Model 3 and Y having these kinds of infant failures on part of the charging system in the car. I think it's on the charging controller circuit board. They just seem to have run into a rash of some bad parts or something with some high failure rates right now, and because of that high number of replacements, it's taking a few weeks sometimes to get the replacement parts. Here's an example thread about it that was 9 threads above yours in this same Model Y charging section of the forum:

• Helpful
Reactions: NYMYP and Gaige
Yup car is in the shop and they said charge port or Charging CM. Covered under warranty and I got loaner M3. I like the M3 it looks sexy and sleek just sucks getting in and out of. I keep tweaking my neck.

Yup car is in the shop and they said charge port or Charging CM. Covered under warranty and I got loaner M3. I like the M3 it looks sexy and sleek just sucks getting in and out of. I keep tweaking my neck.
This is the reason I got the Y. Low cars suck.

The car seat fitment benefit of the Y was also a win.