Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from Airco Heliwelder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance I could charge my Model S from this crazy thing? Will be visiting relatives for the holidays out-of-state who apparently have this in their garage. Looks like it may be the only high-voltage power source, and it is physically hardwired into the power system for the house.

The "reverse polarity" switch terrifies me. Has anyone tried using something like this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 86
The thing certainly has settings that will technically work (AC 230V, 40A), but I have no idea how you select those output options or what the actual output plug looks like. That thing looks terrifying!

I think you need to use J1772 to go above 40A, so that's not going to work. 230V/40A is pretty decent, but the risk of setting something incorrectly seems pretty high to me.

The output of this is either 40v AC or 30v DC... not going to work.
However, the input is 208/240/480 volts AC so if you could find where it is plugged in and plug your car into that plug (you'd need to check to see what the plug is and make sure it's not a 480 volt circuit) then you could charge.