Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in an apartment block

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
I wonder if anyone has any advice for what to do here: I moved in to an apartment block with a couple of free chargers in the parking. These are supplied by BP Pulse (I think that's their name this week, but it's Friday so may have changed). Since November they have been broken. I've asked the building management company when they are getting fixed and they just say "BP are demanding payment up front for the repairs and we won't give them it". I've contacted BP and as soon as they found out it was a managed building they stopped replying to me.

Any idea on what I can do to help get the charger fixed. Building management don't want to know and neither do BP. I feel I'm on my own here too as, apart from one PHEV, I'm the only person with an EV that needs it. Any idea on who to contact to fix this? It's getting tedious (and expensive) to keep heading to a nearby 7Kw to refuel

Was the charging offered as part of the apartment contract - i.e. as a defined benefit, or did it just happen to be there before or after you moved in?

I'm not a lawyer but if it's a contractual benefit then I'd say you'd be in with a shout of taking the building management company to court?

Was the charging offered as part of the apartment contract - i.e. as a defined benefit, or did it just happen to be there before or after you moved in?

I'm not a lawyer but if it's a contractual benefit then I'd say you'd be in with a shout of taking the building management company to court?
That's a good question and yes and no. It was a condition of me moving in, and the estate agent knew this. Sadly it wasn't on any paperwork. which just says a car parking space is to be part of the rental.

I’d keep on the the building management, especially if EV charging was mentioned in any written form as being available with your tenancy.

I’d mention to the management company that you only desire one charger to be repaired, as this could reduce the costs involved of BP are demanding fees upfront.

Finally, I’d have a look around the car park for a 13A socket. If you can find one, give the management company a call, remind them of the situation with the current chargers, you are waiting on them to arrange the repair and let them know that you’ll use the 13A in the meantime. Some people will tell you to get permission in writing, but that likely won’t happen and you may well get a written no.

Not knowing how old the apartment block is but, it may have been a planning condition for the development. That’s another route to follow.