Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in the Rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a general consensus that the weight of the charger is hard on the plug end of the cable. Some have found that the connection between the cable end and the interchangeable adapter starts to get a bit wiggly over time.

Ok...thanks Ken. I've been wanting a bracket of sorts to organize the cord anyway. We'll hit the hardware store this weekend and get on it.

Hey David - This is our setup. (Sorry about the fresh clam shells waiting to be crushed. Dinner last week. ;) ) For us, mounting on the shed made the most sense since we wanted it to be high up because of snow, and mounting on house would have meant stepping over the cord whenever we were charging to go inside. Plus this was the neatest way to wire it and not have it look like crap.
View attachment 111749

Husband dug a trench through the driveway and ran the wire from the house to the inside of the shed. Then mounted box/fed wire. The box is an outdoor electrical box - he had to order online. Can get details if you need.
View attachment 111750
View attachment 111751

Then installed outlet (on right side since I'm a lefty.) He cut a trench for the cord to go into and lined the trench with that black stuff (sorry for the technical explanation. ha) to protect the cord. I don't know what it is (I could ask) but he got the idea from a friend who restores antique cars and had it in his shop for that purpose. It is soft, a little spongey, and pliable so was easy to install.
View attachment 111752

Hope that helps!

That is excellent! Thank you for all the details and the explanation.

Thanks, Jerry. Just did some searching and I see some people use various types of brackets - is this mainly for aesthetics? Or is there concern damage could be done without support? It certainly feels sturdy enough but maybe there have been issues?
It's mainly because the the electronics box is kind of heavy to be supported by electrical connections--especially if you are like me and use your UMC daily.
UMC_bracket.jpg

I live in the Tampa bay area... Doesn't get much wetter than that. I've been charging my car in my driveway for nearly 3 years with no problem. Outlet is in the garage so the cord runs under the door. I've been plugged in during terrible thunder storms, no problems

I guess all of you that do plug in the rain keep your UMC plugged in (inside the box)? I guess that would require buying a second UMC to keep in the car. I know the charging end is ok to plug/unplug in the rain, but it was the end that plugs into the NEMA outlet that I was concerned with. Guess I'll plan on buying an extra.

I guess all of you that do plug in the rain keep your UMC plugged in (inside the box)? I guess that would require buying a second UMC to keep in the car. I know the charging end is ok to plug/unplug in the rain, but it was the end that plugs into the NEMA outlet that I was concerned with. Guess I'll plan on buying an extra.

We don't have an extra. We just take it out of the trunk and plug it in, put it back in car when we're done. Would an extra be nice? Yeah - but our setup isn't conducive to that and my luck it would grow legs. I'd consider an extra only if we had a garage to secure it.

I was shocked and killed by my UMC. Turns out you are not supposed to lick it. Didn't say that in the manual. I'd sue, but I'm a ghost now, and spend my time starting threads in the investor forum like "Elon hired aliens to buy Model S's and dump them on Mars in order to inflate the stock price and provide himself with transportation for when he arrives". I'm debating whether to insist that he step down due to my accusations.

PS: Actually I wasn't killed, in case you were concerned. From what I understand about all electric car charging, is that the one special thing these overly expensive chargers actually do is test ground (and maybe more) before turning on the juice. I suspect Tesla's does as well, as you see the amperage ramp up slowly when you first plug it in.

Someone with a lot more knowledge might bless us with some actual facts if we keep bumping by saying stupid things here. Don't lick your charger.

Oh, and I just can't help myself, this question hasn't been asked here before, I looked and this is all I found:

RainCharging.png

Last edited:
It's not good to let water get into the receptacle. I just unplug and take the UMC with me when I need to (which is only on trips).

Rather than get a second UMC, get an HPWC. It's only $100 more and it has dip switches on it to change the current used so that you don't need to upgrade your service (assuming that is a problem).

As someone also in New England and planning to install a charger outdoors soon (I hope), I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your charger installation. Thanks in advance!
Hey David - This is our setup. (Sorry about the fresh clam shells waiting to be crushed. Dinner last week. ;) ) For us, mounting on the shed made the most sense since we wanted it to be high up because of snow, and mounting on house would have meant stepping over the cord whenever we were charging to go inside. Plus this was the neatest way to wire it and not have it look like crap.
View attachment 111749

Husband dug a trench through the driveway and ran the wire from the house to the inside of the shed. Then mounted box/fed wire. The box is an outdoor electrical box - he had to order online. Can get details if you need.
View attachment 111750
View attachment 111751

Then installed outlet (on right side since I'm a lefty.) He cut a trench for the cord to go into and lined the trench with that black stuff (sorry for the technical explanation. ha) to protect the cord. I don't know what it is (I could ask) but he got the idea from a friend who restores antique cars and had it in his shop for that purpose. It is soft, a little spongey, and pliable so was easy to install.
View attachment 111752

Hope that helps!

Hi Bimbels, Thanks. Could you ask your partner for the make/model of that box or post a closeup photo of the label on the inside of the door? I’m having a hard time finding it. It occurs to me that the “brains” could also fit in the box and in doing prevent a strain of gravity on the plug. Thanks

Hi Bimbels, Thanks. Could you ask your partner for the make/model of that box or post a closeup photo of the label on the inside of the door? I’m having a hard time finding it. It occurs to me that the “brains” could also fit in the box and in doing prevent a strain of gravity on the plug. Thanks

I realize now that brimbels has the old version of the MC. The current version works fine with this: GE 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

I consider the UMC to be part of the car and the HPWC to be part of the house. The UMC along with as many adapters as possible should be carried in the vehicle just in case charging is required while on the road. The HPWC is a very robust device that takes the abuse of daily connection in any weather.

Our HPWC is mounted on an outside garage wall so that another Tesla in need of a charge can use it while we are away. Our solar array feeds into the grid so a guest in need using the charger is not an issue. On the same circuit I have installed an 14-50 receptacle inside the garage for the odd time that I need the Tesla plugged in and stored. For that the UMC is used.

The additional cost spread over the life of the car makes the HPWC a better solution in my option for daily charging while the UMC along with adapters provides mitigation of risk should the car need charging while away from home. Essentially any 120VAC or 240VAC circuit can be a charging source for our car as long as the UMC is available.

My thoughts for your consideration.

I consider the UMC to be part of the car and the HPWC to be part of the house. The UMC along with as many adapters as possible should be carried in the vehicle just in case charging is required while on the road.
So put the UMC in the car the few times per year you go “on the road”. Otherwise it works just fine leaving it plugged in and hanging on a hook in the garage. That’s what most Model S owners have done for years.

Also this is 2018 not 2013. The vast majority of charging on the road is done at superchargers and some at J1772s and HPWCs at destinations. Very little is done plugged into outlets. But yes, take the UMC with you on road trips just in case. No reason to routinely keep it in the car though.

Reactions: jerry33