Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Installation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered my SR+ MSM with Black interior. They say 2 weeks, we shall see, but either way I am excited.

I just discovered we have 4 level 2 chargers at work, for free. WHoooo hooo. What is everyone's opinion regarding installing a 220V outlet at home given I can pretty much top off whenever I am at work?

Just ordered my SR+ MSM with Black interior. They say 2 weeks, we shall see, but either way I am excited.

I just discovered we have 4 level 2 chargers at work, for free. WHoooo hooo. What is everyone's opinion regarding installing a 220V outlet at home given I can pretty much top off whenever I am at work?
For me the biggest benefit of an EV is the simple and easy recharging at home. I would definitely add a 240V outlet, NEMA 14-50 as it future proofs your house and in a pinch you can charge at home. I guarantee you will use it before the year is up.

Reactions: TexasEV

If I had charging at work, I'd have a relatively inexpensive 14-50 installed at home and live my UMC there.

Does the car still come with a converter for regular level 2 chargers?

The last I heard, yes, although there was some dispute of this issue recently. The converter in question is a J1772 adapter (J1772 being the type of connector used by everybody but Tesla for Level 1 and Level 2 charging in North America), and AFAIK all Teslas sold in North America still ship with such an adapter. A few weeks ago, Tesla announced that it was removing the NEMA 14-50 plug from its standard portable charge kit, and some people read between the lines of description changes to conclude that the J1772 adapter was also being removed. AFAIK, that's not happened, though. It wouldn't hurt to ask your Tesla salespeople -- but they may be in the dark about any late-developing changes. Ultimately you'll just have to wait and see. If your car does not come with a J1772 adapter, you can buy one for $95, IIRC; but they're sometimes out of stock at Tesla's online store. If they have them in stock at your local store, that may be a better bet.

The last I heard, yes, although there was some dispute of this issue recently. The converter in question is a J1772 adapter (J1772 being the type of connector used by everybody but Tesla for Level 1 and Level 2 charging in North America), and AFAIK all Teslas sold in North America still ship with such an adapter. A few weeks ago, Tesla announced that it was removing the NEMA 14-50 plug from its standard portable charge kit, and some people read between the lines of description changes to conclude that the J1772 adapter was also being removed. AFAIK, that's not happened, though. It wouldn't hurt to ask your Tesla salespeople -- but they may be in the dark about any late-developing changes. Ultimately you'll just have to wait and see. If your car does not come with a J1772 adapter, you can buy one for $95, IIRC; but they're sometimes out of stock at Tesla's online store. If they have them in stock at your local store, that may be a better bet.

Thank you - this is helpful to have in advance

Indeed look at all the options,
You just exceeded all of my level of understanding. It took me days to figure out what 14-50 was. :)

For example, if 14-50 would be too much load for your panel, consider a 14-30 instead, charge speed is still plenty for daily use, plus the 14-30 adapter will come in handy anytime you visit friends/family as many houses have a 14-30 outlet in the garage for the dryer.

Reactions: deserthootman
I grew up near Belvedere NJ so familiar with the climate.
A 30amp outlet for a 3 in NJ should be fine especially if the garage holds any heat.
I got by on that with my P85 which is much more power hungry and near Green Bay which is much colder.

I often advocate for as big a circuit as possible and think you should at least look at that, but with charging at work and in NJ presumably if there is a sudden long trip there will be superchargeing along the way. I put a wall connector on a 100amp circuit, my car can pull 80amps, max charging rate had been handy a few times but usually leave it set lower.

It’s totally worth having home charging. It will always be a reason for you to charge at home. As you drive more and or cold temps or even hot temps you might need it. It’s no reason to not have home charging. Unless money is tight currently. Which I totally understand. But do it. You won’t regret it. It’s the best part of owning a EV. I can leave the house with a 85% SOC every morning if I want.

Lastly if possible have a dedicated 100amps for the car if you can swing g it. Future proofs your home and can support two ev at 40 amps each

The convenience of having 220v charging at home can't be overstated. Assurance you can always have a full battery every morning is worth it. Mine cost only $450 to install, so it isn't automatically a huge expense (power line to the house comes in at the garage, so easy installation - yours may vary).

If cost is a factor (and cost is always a factor), check to see if your local electrical utility offers any deals or rebates. And, in California at least, you can get a tax credit for the cost of installing electric vehicle charging station at home - check your state's offers/rebates to see if something similar is offered.

The convenience of having 220v charging at home can't be overstated. Assurance you can always have a full battery every morning is worth it. Mine cost only $450 to install, so it isn't automatically a huge expense (power line to the house comes in at the garage, so easy installation - yours may vary).

If cost is a factor (and cost is always a factor), check to see if your local electrical utility offers any deals or rebates. And, in California at least, you can get a tax credit for the cost of installing electric vehicle charging station at home - check your state's offers/rebates to see if something similar is offered.

Unfortunately the only deals here from state or utilities is for businesses installing EV chargers