Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Lessons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On this topic, is it possible to remotely trigger the alarm with either the key fob (this is a feature called "PANIC" on our Honda CR-V)

It's possible to do this. However, the key fob only has three buttons. One is lock, one unlock and the third "programmable," meaning either set off the alarm or open the trunk. So, you have to be willing to give up remote trunk opening and instead insert the key or push the button in the cabin.

It's possible to do this. However, the key fob only has three buttons. One is lock, one unlock and the third "programmable," meaning either set off the alarm or open the trunk. So, you have to be willing to give up remote trunk opening and instead insert the key or push the button in the cabin.
1.5 has three buttons. Trunk (hold to open), lock and unlock. I'm suggesting a repeated pushing of the lock that chirps the horn. Not an alarm but it's something.

In the 2.5 version, the 3rd (bottom) button can control the trunk (double click), and if held down, will activate the panic alarm...learned from experience (tryin' to open the durn trunk!) :redface:

On this topic, is it possible to remotely trigger the alarm with either the key fob (this is a feature called "PANIC" on our Honda CR-V) or maybe do it using the iPhone / SMS app which was written for the Roadster (link to thread ) ...?

We haven't got our Roadster yet so I don't know about the features like this. Just curious. Thanks...

You have to be standing about 5 feet from the car to do this. The keyfob has a very short range.

Bonnie: Did they unplug your car on purpose and were waiting to load the car on a flatbed or something? I don't think they would have been able to figure out how to start the car without the key. Glad everything turned out ok in the end and you're alright.

Bonnie: Did they unplug your car on purpose and were waiting to load the car on a flatbed or something? I don't think they would have been able to figure out how to start the car without the key. Glad everything turned out ok in the end and you're alright.

I really don't know what the plans were - I just know that as I pulled out, two cars were positioned in such a way to completely block my car from the view. I suspect that he didn't unplug the car on purpose to summon me back (that would take a certain amount of smarts - I doubt he knew that it notified me). I think he was checking the car out, probably slid the switch back, heard it stop charging & quickly slid it back in position not knowing what had just happened. Of course, charging was stopped then. I doubt he had a flat bed at his disposal, it's more likely one of them would have taken my keys and driven away. And I'm very glad to say I'll never know. :) I'll handle differently in the future.

You have to be standing about 5 feet from the car to do this. The keyfob has a very short range.
Yeah, via keyfob is not so useful... Should be via smart phone app (assuming that app is secure). Would be nice if you could limit torque and top speed via the app so the perp couldn't get too far away. Of course you have GPS as well. Anyhow, remotely setting off the alarm would be useful (as well as a parking lot chirp).

In Canada all new cars (including the Roadster) have an immobilizer (required by regulations). If you don't unlock your car with the FOB then you can't start it, whether you jimmy the ignition key or use a real one. It's a pretty good deterrent.

In Canada all new cars (including the Roadster) have an immobilizer (required by regulations). If you don't unlock your car with the FOB then you can't start it, whether you jimmy the ignition key or use a real one. It's a pretty good deterrent.
First thought -- wow, it would stink for your fob battery to die somewhere inconvenient.

Second thought -- It would not deter muggers/robbers (like what Bonnie's situation could have turned into) but certainly would help to thwart thieves.

Would be nice if you could limit torque and top speed via the app so the perp couldn't get too far away. Of course you have GPS as well. Anyhow, remotely setting off the alarm would be useful (as well as a parking lot chirp).

I'm pretty sure that if you have the GSM turned on that Tesla can do this. Now, whether they would is a different question. I know that, at least in early versions, they could remotely update the firmware and could get live telemetry data, too.

Let's hope that Tesla's security is better than OnStar.

Taking Control of Cars From Afar - Technology Review

I'm friends with Stefan Savage, the professor responsible for this stuff, and I suspect he'd have a field day with a Roadster if his research grant could afford to buy one for him.

First thought -- wow, it would stink for your fob battery to die somewhere inconvenient.

Second thought -- It would not deter muggers/robbers (like what Bonnie's situation could have turned into) but certainly would help to thwart thieves.

Yes, but the annual service includes a new FOB battery.

Nothing would stop a carjacker, but most criminals prefer to avoid engaging with the human element... too dangerous.

For that reason, I carry extra batteries and the proper screwdriver in the trunk. Yes, if the batteries give up while the car is locked the alarm will probably sound while I struggle to replace the batteries, but I will not be stuck (in a U.S. car). I do not know if one could lock and relock a Canadian car with the fob and be out of the woods.

I'm friends with Stefan Savage, the professor responsible for this stuff, and I suspect he'd have a field day with a Roadster if his research grant could afford to buy one for him.

Well we have Scott!

I am impressed by your preparedness PGW. Would like to see a list of what's your trunk.

Did Doug actually say "perp'?

Bonnie, were you using the J1772 to Tesla adaptor?

I have had similar things happen when I've been charging at SMU. Luckily I am friends with the SMU PD, so they check the garage with the 14-50 outlet in it more often. (and it helps to have a "blue box" (emergency police call box) within sight of my roadster)

I have made it harder for a criminal to steal my charge cord by using short lengths of cable (wire rope) around it and then locking it to the car. I probably do the same with my J1772 adaptor.

Bonnie, were you using the J1772 to Tesla adaptor?

I have had similar things happen when I've been charging at SMU. Luckily I am friends with the SMU PD, so they check the garage with the 14-50 outlet in it more often. (and it helps to have a "blue box" (emergency police call box) within sight of my roadster)

I have made it harder for a criminal to steal my charge cord by using short lengths of cable (wire rope) around it and then locking it to the car. I probably do the same with my J1772 adaptor.

Yes, I was using the new adapter. The adapter didn't seem at risk - still connected, plug still in place (though the switch was slid back). He was going for the bigger prize.

I'd be interested in a photo, also.

My brother-in-law came up with a neat "emergency" charging solution:

CIMG0148.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: AtAge19