Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging-Miles/Hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. It's been awhile since I've been here, so I apologize in advance if this has been addressed. I feel my car is not charging correctly and before I contact my SC, I wanted to get feedback from other MX owners. Anyway, we started having charging issues. Sometimes the amp wouldn't go beyond 30 or we would get alerts that the charging isn't working. Sometimes we would blow into the cable and port (like we used to do with Nintendo games). That would help. My car charges at 22 miles/hour at 40 amps. And it has never filled more than 241 miles when we fill to the max. I thought we should be getting 257 miles. I have a P90D. What is everyone else getting?

I thought we should be getting 257 miles. I have a P90D. What is everyone else getting?
Well a P is only 250 but with low profile tires you could loose 15-20% so 245 would be about right. 241 is not that far off. The RM is also dependant on your driving history so if you stomp it a lot or go fast, that has an effect too. The 250 is for a perfect 75F day with no wind and no elevation change, cruising at 65 mph in no traffic.

Well a P is only 250 but with low profile tires you could loose 15-20% so 245 would be about right. 241 is not that far off. The RM is also dependant on your driving history so if you stomp it a lot or go fast, that has an effect too. The 250 is for a perfect 75F day with no wind and no elevation change, cruising at 65 mph in no traffic.
Rated miles has nothing to do with how you drive. It's the miles on the EPA test cycle. The energy graph will predict mikes of range based on recent driving, but rated miles is just the EPA rating.

Similar charging issues here. When I plug it in it starts off at 40 amps and I get about 26-27 miles of range per hour. After 1-2 hours the amperage drops to 32 or 33 getting me about 23-24 miles of ranger per hour. I've also noticed my UMC (14-50 outlet) gets pretty hot.

Tesla took my car to fix a few issues and tested it out and told me there was nothing wrong with the car. I was a bit suspicious at first until I realized the loaner S they gave me did the same thing.

I'd have them check your car and your UMC, but it sounds like there's an issue with the electrician is coming out next week to take a look at what could be causing the problem.

Personally a charging rate of 23 v 27 is a non-issue for me, it will always be fully charged in the morning, right? I'm just concerned of an electrical issue and my house burning down.

Similar charging issues here. When I plug it in it starts off at 40 amps and I get about 26-27 miles of range per hour. After 1-2 hours the amperage drops to 32 or 33 getting me about 23-24 miles of ranger per hour. I've also noticed my UMC (14-50 outlet) gets pretty hot.

Tesla took my car to fix a few issues and tested it out and told me there was nothing wrong with the car. I was a bit suspicious at first until I realized the loaner S they gave me did the same thing.

I'd have them check your car and your UMC, but it sounds like there's an issue with the electrician is coming out next week to take a look at what could be causing the problem.

Personally a charging rate of 23 v 27 is a non-issue for me, it will always be fully charged in the morning, right? I'm just concerned of an electrical issue and my house burning down.
I believe it's expected behaviour for the charge rate to be exponential with a steep ramp up and gradually flattening down towards max range.
Thus definitely applies to the supercharger but I think NEMA OR HPWC based charging should also follow a similar power curve.
Ref:
main-qimg-cd33dfb62411fbe9c845f4511f323b19.gif

I believe it's expected behaviour for the charge rate to be exponential with a steep ramp up and gradually flattening down towards max range.
Thus definitely applies to the supercharger but I think NEMA OR HPWC based charging should also follow a similar power curve.
No. That's just for supercharging. When using AC charging the rate is constant until the last few percent of charge. You won't see a taper unless you're charging to more than 95% or so.

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
My reality on my one time charging to 100% on the Model X is that the curve is much more exponential. I agree with the 45 minutes to get to 80 and then 75 minutes to get to about 95%, but that last 5% sits on the top of the curve and my car never made it to 100% even after 2 hours. The last 1% could take????

Hello. It's been awhile since I've been here, so I apologize in advance if this has been addressed. I feel my car is not charging correctly and before I contact my SC, I wanted to get feedback from other MX owners. Anyway, we started having charging issues. Sometimes the amp wouldn't go beyond 30 or we would get alerts that the charging isn't working. Sometimes we would blow into the cable and port (like we used to do with Nintendo games). That would help. My car charges at 22 miles/hour at 40 amps. And it has never filled more than 241 miles when we fill to the max. I thought we should be getting 257 miles. I have a P90D. What is everyone else getting?
I would have your wiring in the garage checked as the car will slow down charging if it detects any problems in the flow of electricity from the outlet.

sounds about right...thats what I get w/ my wall charger...

Ours charges at the 72a rate from the Wall Connector at 48mph of charging (I can confirm this later this weekend). I have watched the rate for any period of time but it certainly ramps up to that speed quickly. The same with my neighbors model S when we were testing our HPWC with their car at 80a)

@MattXowner PM me if you want to test charging at my HPWC