Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging not working at home on 110v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I just got my Model 3 on 12/31/19. I've had no issues charging at Superchargers and Chargepoint chargers my charger at home does not work.

At home, I'm trying to charge using a heavy duty extension cord connected to a 110v plug and the cord that came with my Tesla. When I connect the Tesla adapter to my extension cord, my Tesal adapter lights up green. However, right when I plug it into my car it blinks for a little while and says "Charging Stopped".

Has anyone else had this issue? What could be causing this? We tried unplugging everything else around that outlet and it still doesn't work.

Is there a charge timer set?

A charge limit?

Proper grounding?

Plugged properly into the port?

It could sense that your circuit that you are plugged into is faulty or the extension cord. Have you tried a different cord and/or circuit?

Are you able to test your charge cord on another Tesla?

Please let us know what solves your problem.

Last edited:
Most home extension cords, even ones that are marked as "heavy duty" have pathetically thin wires in them. The "heavy duty" part just means it has really thick rubber insulation to keep from getting cut or gashed through. Look at what it stamped or printed on the rubber of your extension cord to see if it has a number on it marked as "AWG". The two cords I had when I got my car were both 16 gauge wire, which is nowhere near thick enough. get a cord that is at least 12 gauge wire.

It might be helpful if you can post a picture of the charging screen when it starts to charge and when it stops.
F708998B-AE09-4305-856C-DD00A2E76382.jpeg
DB76B8D9-7E3D-4B36-9D10-9149B67A9E47.jpeg

Is there a charge timer set?

A charge limit?

Proper grounding?

Plugged properly into the port?

It could sense that your circuit that you are plugged into is faulty or the extension cord. Have you tried a different cord and/or circuit?

Are you able to test your charge cord on another Tesla?

Please let us know what solves your problem.
Everything is plugged in properly. I tried multiple ports all independent and not tied to anything else. I even unplugged the fridge and plugged it into that outlet. There’s no timer or limit set. I haven’t had a chance to test it outside of my house.

Have you tried to do a reset of your car?

Do you have the ability to test your charge cord on another Tesla? Local Service Center or check for a local Tesla Club in your area for volunteers or look on this forum for an online or active member to help or other Tesla forums. You could also hang out at a busy public charger and ask someone to help go to a 120 volt outlet to help.

Do you have the ability to test your charge cord on another Tesla? Local Service Center or check for a local Tesla Club in your area for volunteers or look on this forum for an online or active member to help or other Tesla forums. You could also hang out at a busy public charger and ask someone to help go to a 120 volt outlet to help.

Do you have charging set for a scheduled time? What happens when you manually start charging by hitting the start charging button on the upper left of the screen?

Have you tried lowering the current to less than 12A? When you first plug in, does the current slowly ramp up and then errors out? How long does it take to error out?

Everything is plugged in properly. I tried multiple ports all independent and not tied to anything else. I even unplugged the fridge and plugged it into that outlet. There’s no timer or limit set. I haven’t had a chance to test it outside of my house.

Sounds like your UMC is broken. Seems like you have tried everything in your house (obviously you have tried multiple outlets on different circuits and nothing works). Also the UMC has never worked anywhere it sounds like. Take it to Tesla and have them try it with your car there. When it doesn’t work there, they will give you a replacement.

I suppose you could try requesting a new one through the app and maybe they can have mobile service drop one off for you and spare you the trouble. Seems unnecessary to have to spend any time on it for something that is clearly broken.

Car is ok.
multiple outlets tried - no luck it sounds like.
Extension cord eliminated as an issue it sounds like (easy to just not use one).
If you want try some other outlet somewhere else just to be sure it is not the house, you could. Somewhere convenient.

Overall the UMCs just work - or they tell you relatively clearly what is wrong. Yours is not doing that so it is most likely broken.

If the cord is too resistive, it limits the current and tells you usually.

If it were scheduled charging it would not say unable to charge.

In your case it looks like the relay never closes if you never see the voltage come up. All your pictures show an open circuit and obviously you should hear the relay click shut and then it will come up. If that doesn’t happen it is broken.

Last edited:

Already tried to do the reset and no luck. I will try to see if I can test my cord on another Tesla. LOL I'm a little shy to ask someone randomly at a public charger but aiming to try at an outlet other than my home.

Do you have charging set for a scheduled time? What happens when you manually start charging by hitting the start charging button on the upper left of the screen?

Have you tried lowering the current to less than 12A? When you first plug in, does the current slowly ramp up and then errors out? How long does it take to error out?
Nothing at a scheduled time. I tried hitting the start charging and nothing happens. I tried lowering the amps to the lowest amount possible and then increasing it little by little with no luck. When I first plug in it takes about 30 secs to confirm it will not charge. When I tried another outlet it just starts flashing "Charging Stopped" but it flickers when I'm in a different outlet. Still never actually charges though.

Sounds like your UMC is broken. Seems like you have tried everything in your house (obviously you have tried multiple outlets on different circuits and nothing works). Also the UMC has never worked anywhere it sounds like. Take it to Tesla and have them try it with your car there. When it doesn’t work there, they will give you a replacement.

I suppose you could try requesting a new one through the app and maybe they can have mobile service drop one off for you and spare you the trouble. Seems unnecessary to have to spend any time on it for something that is clearly broken.

Car is ok.
multiple outlets tried - no luck it sounds like.
Extension cord eliminated as an issue it sounds like (easy to just not use one).
If you want try some other outlet somewhere else just to be sure it is not the house, you could. Somewhere convenient.

Overall the UMCs just work - or they tell you relatively clearly what is wrong. Yours is not doing that so it is most likely broken.

If the cord is too resistive, it limits the current and tells you usually.

If it were scheduled charging it would not say unable to charge.

In your case it looks like the relay never closes if you never see the voltage come up. All your pictures show an open circuit and obviously you should hear the relay click shut and then it will come up. If that doesn’t happen it is broken.
I already submitted a support case about it but have yet to hear back. Hopefully, the mobile appointment is an option! That would actually be awesome! I'll also try heading into the Tesla store too. Thank you!

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life