Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Outlet Installation Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just placed our order for our first Tesla and we have inquired with a local electric company for converting 2 standard outlets to a 14/50 outlet. The estimate came back at $600 ($200 for material and $400 for labor). From all of the video's I've seen, that seems high. The panel is next to our 2 car garage and inside our house. The wires are run through the attic and accessible. What are other people paying for the conversion?

I got an Aero charger with my volt, I put it in with a cut off and got bids to check my work, wire to the panel and add a15/40 - same bid as you. I may have overpaid a bit

$305 for nema 14-30 and 14-50 both installed right next to panel in garage, estimate less than 6’ of wire. Included moving stuff out of the way and repairing drywall between sockets and panel when done. 2 new Breakers, 1 for each. This was licensed electrician from electric company, not handyman who also does electricity. It’s a lot for an hours labor, but as others have said, parts and getting to me aren’t free and burning my house down or killing myself are significantly more expensive. ImAt $300 estimate I did not bother with another quote.

Just FYI, I got close to 10 quotes for a 60-70 feet installation, all licensed. I went to the lowest bid, which is 1100 in cash, and I did the docs by myself.

I strongly suggest to get multiple quotes since the quotes range wildly, and I received 2-3 quotes with price close to 3K!

$305 for nema 14-30 and 14-50 both installed right next to panel in garage, estimate less than 6’ of wire. Included moving stuff out of the way and repairing drywall between sockets and panel when done. 2 new Breakers, 1 for each. This was licensed electrician from electric company, not handyman who also does electricity. It’s a lot for an hours labor, but as others have said, parts and getting to me aren’t free and burning my house down or killing myself are significantly more expensive. ImAt $300 estimate I did not bother with another quote.

thats a good deal. any chance you live in the seattle area? haha

I am not certain about the permit. We live in Florida so..... We did have a reputable electrical contractor come out and do the work so I would assume that the work is up to code.

Be careful making assumptions. “Up to code” and “permitted and approved” are not synonymous. Some jurisdictions are very lenient with permit requirements, while others are very strict. Some electricians are happy to do work without a permit, even when a permit is required.

Not telling you what to do with your install... just making sure the difference is clear. :)

anyone in seattle area with recommendations? got a couple quotes, all ranging $900-1100 for a nema 14-50 outlet. (includes permit).

in seattle. i paid around $2,200 all-in for our charging setup which included:

- installation of a new 40 amp service disconnect tapped from the exterior service panel (note this is not the main electrical panel which is in a difficult spot in the middle of the second floor of our house)
- about 35 feet of conduit and wire run on the exterior of the house
- hardwired juicebox ($579)
- all permits and inspection
- 2 installers and 4 hours to complete the job (8 labor hours total)

sales tax waiver and 30% tax credit brings the net cost down to $1,500-1,600. it was somewhat of a complicated setup; 2 of the 3 companies that came out to estimate never sent a bid over and said it was too difficult based on what they said it would take. IMO they all seemed less skilled in coming up with a solution. i'm very happy with the work.

so not a direct comparison since you're looking for nema but a reference point with regards to price.