TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging- "overloaded" range 398km!!

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by ffylling, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ffylling

ffylling Member

Hello!

Two-three week ago i was parking on a public 16a 230v chargingstation for overnight charge. Battery had ca 40%left when the charging started, 7p.m

the morning after at 9a.m i had a warning: "charging problem" in the display. I pushed the screen and the warning dissmissed, but the batteryindicator was full green, and the range was 398km ideal range in std.mod!!
    outside temp +3 celcius.

the chargingmode was Std. I also remember that i could see a circle i the display before i started driving that says "TOP OFF". I have never Steen this "button" before.

I called the Tesla servicesenter, they said as long the warning dissapeared, no worry.
    anyone knows what happend?

thanks!
    2012 Roadster 2.5

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

"Top Off" normally appears after charging finishes.

If you charge at low current in Range mode, it charges to a higher number. I've seen range well into the 390's after charging on 110V 12A. It's not entirely clear to me whether this extra range is "real".

As for the warning... not sure... might have had a power glitch as it was finishing.

3. augkuo

augkuo Member

Since you were charging at a public station, once you stop drawing current when the battery is full, the charging station shuts off. This generates the warning
    that you saw but this is fine.