Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging parameters reset - what happened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
Ok, so this is weird. My car was set to charge starting at 10pm, and at 24 amps even though it's on a 50 amp circuit. No point going faster, and nighttime electric charges are lower. But I found the car charging on its own this afternoon (5/16/23) around 2pm. After it had finished, I poked around and found that it had been reset to "charge on plug-in" and at the full (40 amp) rate.

Weirder still, I grabbed the logs, and looking at them with VMSParser the record of the charging session is inserted between 5/2/23 and 5/3/23. The charging log from last night (5/15/23, 10pm) shows a voltage of only 209v, vs the 238-240 that it should be. That's not out of spec for the car (so not an undervolt condition), just not what it's plugged into. Today's charging voltage is back to being correct.

The clock time and date are properly set (this wasn't the GPS wigging out). No charge-related events in the log.

Looking at the permanent records (-p option), the logs seem to show that the VMS rebooted at 34 seconds after 2pm, but no cause listed (or at least none seen). The log just starts with the firmware version, a few records with no data, and an error code 65535 at about a minute before the time the charge completed. The next record is from July 2021. I presume the reboot reset the charging parameters, though I would think they would be remembered, no?

Thoughts? I wonder if my VMS is getting senile, or having a nervous breakdown... Anything to look for?

Fortunately I wasn't driving the car at the time. It's got me a bit nervous.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
Hmmpf, doesn't sound good. My car's log is written to more often than most, since I've got a flaky temperature sensor in the motor which causes a lot of 1115 / 1116 errors. (Any thoughts on that one would be appreciated!)

What are the practical implications of a reboot? I.e., if I'm driving down the road and one of these hits, what happens? I'm guessing a sudden loss of all power for the few minutes while it reboots?

Also doesn't the VMS uses GPS via serial to keep track of charging preferences at locations? Maybe GPS sent invalid/wrong info at the time? your GPS firmware been updated?
First thing I checked. No, the GPS reading was good, and the clock (both time and date) correct. I had updated the GPS firmware a few years ago.

There would also have been a "car being flatbedded" alert from OVMS if the GPS had wigged out, and while I have seen those, the location change was just down the street a bit presumably due to poor reception. No issue with the charging parameters during those excursions.