Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port door closes immediately after opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 MY. This just happened today. The charger port door closes immediately after opening. Keeps doing this. I soft boot car by long pressing 2 scroll balls on steering wheel but no change. Anyone has any suggestion? I did update software to 2022.40.4.2 couple of days ago.
Thanks!

You could try locking, unlocking the doors. The Tesla Model Y will close the charge port, if open when the vehicle is locked and a charging connector is not detected.

I have observed this behavior in my 2020 LRMY when using the voice command "Open Charge Port." The charge port door would open and immediately close. When I tapped the charge port door on the Tesla screen or the Open Charge Port button on the Charging settings screen the charge port cover would open and remain open. This was remedied in a later release, I have not had it happen since. (You could try using the voice command "Open Charge Port", as a test to see if the charge port door remains open.)

Last edited:
2021 MY. This just happened today. The charger port door closes immediately after opening. Keeps doing this. I soft boot car by long pressing 2 scroll balls on steering wheel but no change. Anyone has any suggestion? I did update software to 2022.40.4.2 couple of days ago.
Thanks!
I hade the same problem since this morning. Do you have solved the problem already? I'am wondering what I have to do to solve it?

Just started having this problem this morning too. Been working fine for 2 years and suddenly I can't open the charge port by pressing on it I have to open the port from the app, but it tries to close instantly, so I have to hold it open while I plug in the charge cable, then it closes on to the charger handle.

Tried the 2 button reset and no improvemdent. I haven't done a SW update overnight, and it worked normally yesterday.

2021 Model Y LR AWD

Just started having this problem this morning too. Been working fine for 2 years and suddenly I can't open the charge port by pressing on it I have to open the port from the app, but it tries to close instantly, so I have to hold it open while I plug in the charge cable, then it closes on to the charger handle.

Tried the 2 button reset and no improvemdent. I haven't done a SW update overnight, and it worked normally yesterday.

2021 Model Y LR AWD
Try using the Tesla voice command "Open Charge Port".

Try using the Tesla voice command "Open Charge Port".
Doesn't help me as I'm too slow to get from the drivers door to the charge port before it has closed again :p

Seems to be working normally again now, but service is coming to take a look. I'd guess it was snow / slush / ice that had got in somewhere and either blocked the up sensor, or was stopping the door opening fully.

I just got a 2023 model Y with the same problem. Technician says the door and the charge port (the part you put the charge cable in) talk to each other and if either one of them fails to communicate as expected with the other the door flip flop can happen. In my case there's a manual charge port release pull which is hidden inside the left rear panel and should only be accessed and used by technicians. It is used to unlock the charge port manually when the car will not do it for you so you can pull the charge cable out. This pull was caught on some plastic inside and may have intermittently made the charge port emergency release engage. The technician fix that and put things back together. In my case I had the issue for a day and then had two days with it working perfectly fine then the technician came out. He was willing to replace the whole door until we found this and we both agreed that the problem was found. This experience also gives everyone at least one thing that can cause the door to open and close quickly and also more insight into just how complex the communication system is in these cars. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately this has started happening to my model y performance 2022 as well just out of the blue
I have restarted it and used the screen as well as the app to open the port but it closes quickly. I have used my super awesome speed and managed to plug the cable in before it could close but it has still tried to close on the cable.

Unfortunately this has started happening to my model y performance 2022 as well just out of the blue
I have restarted it and used the screen as well as the app to open the port but it closes quickly. I have used my super awesome speed and managed to plug the cable in before it could close but it has still tried to close on the cable.
Try using the Tesla Voice Command "Open Charge Port". The Voice Command "Open Butthole" also works.

Thanks!

Holding the steering wheel balls doesn't soft boot the car. It only restarts the infotainment system, including the screen. You can literally do it while your driving down the highway.

I had the dreaded "flip-flop" this morning after returning from an errand. 2023 MYLR, 2023.44.30.8
  • Can open charge port with app or tapping on screen. Port opens and then closes immediately.
  • Cannot open charge port by pressing on it (my usual method, since I charge with a J1772, so no button on the charge handle)
  • Did not try voice commands, but I doubt that would make a difference - opening the door is not the problem, keeping it open is.
  • Pulling the loop inside the trunk does not open the door. AFAIK, it only releases the lock pin on the bottom of the port.
  • Power off and sit in the car for a couple of minutes did not help. Did not try a 2-button MCU reset.
  • If I opened the door with the app and inserted the charge cable w/ the J1772 adapter, the car would close the door on the handle, but it would start charging. I could unlock on the app and remove it (I don't remember if I got the door to open fully beforehand or just pulled it out).
The problem cleared itself after I went inside for a bit. Probably not long enough for the car to sleep, but the phone was out of BT range.

Technician says the door and the charge port (the part you put the charge cable in) talk to each other and if either one of them fails to communicate as expected with the other the door flip flop can happen.
I think there's something to this. Not responding to pressing on the door to open might support the communication failure theory.

Following this issue as it just happen to me, schedule an appointment did all the reset I can find except removing the 12v battery. I guess I'll wait for the appointment in 2 weeks since I still can charge the car just a hassle to rush to the port before it shuts on me.

Following this issue as it just happen to me, schedule an appointment did all the reset I can find except removing the 12v battery. I guess I'll wait for the appointment in 2 weeks since I still can charge the car just a hassle to rush to the port before it shuts on me.
Did you try using the voice command? "Open Charge Port"; "Open Butthole" also works.