Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port won't release charger easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I went to pull my cable out of my car and it did not want to release. I verified that the charging port was unlocked and the light on the UMC went cyan. It still did not want to come out. Needing to make it to work I used the manual release and the cable came right out.

After work I tried again and the port frequently does not want to allow me to pull the charger out. After a few tries it will go but it's not like it used to be. I'm thinking the little lock tab is sticking up and not retracting far enough. I scheduled an appointment via the app but was wondering if anyone else had this happen. I took a picture of the port and wasn't sure what normal looks like as I couldn't find any close up pictures online.

d6AwEbJ.jpg

This morning I went to pull my cable out of my car and it did not want to release. I verified that the charging port was unlocked and the light on the UMC went cyan. It still did not want to come out. Needing to make it to work I used the manual release and the cable came right out.

After work I tried again and the port frequently does not want to allow me to pull the charger out. After a few tries it will go but it's not like it used to be. I'm thinking the little lock tab is sticking up and not retracting far enough. I scheduled an appointment via the app but was wondering if anyone else had this happen. I took a picture of the port and wasn't sure what normal looks like as I couldn't find any close up pictures online.

d6AwEbJ.jpg

Yes! I had this happen.

I have a July 2018 M3 that was working fine, but it had the original charge port that has a horrible freezing problem that I did not want to run into.

So I politely asked that they replace it with the new hardware version that was redesigned not to freeze as easily (which they did).

Not long after the replacement, it started having this issue. It took a couple more service trips before they replaced it *again* (with I think maybe an even newer part number) and the new one is flawless again.

You are not crazy, it is broken and they need to replace it (I don’t think there is any adjustment or lubrication that will help).

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Yes! I had this happen.

I have a July 2018 M3 that was working fine, but it had the original charge port that has a horrible freezing problem that I did not want to run into.

So I politely asked that they replace it with the new hardware version that was redesigned not to freeze as easily (which they did).

Not long after the replacement, it started having this issue. It took a couple more service trips before they replaced it *again* (with I think maybe an even newer part number) and the new one is flawless again.

You are not crazy, it is broken and they need to replace it (I don’t think there is any adjustment or lubrication that will help).

Good luck!
Thanks epro. When I brought my 3 in for service they proactively replaced the charge port.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
I took a picture of the port and wasn't sure what normal looks like as I couldn't find any close up pictures online.
I'm kind of guessing because I have an S, not a 3, so I don't have a port to compare, but it looks to me like that locking tab is sticking up a bit too far and isn't retracting all the way down as far as it should. I suppose there is some kind of adjustment for that.

d6AwEbJ.jpg

I should also call out that mine got progressively worse. It started as just binding a little and worked its way to “I have to use the emergency release *every* time”. Not a big deal for me, but was not comfortable loaning my car to my dad or having my wife drive it since the emergency release is a little fragile and there is a danger of an arc flash if you disconnect it under load.

d6AwEbJ.jpg

I had this occur at a supercharger station. I had to call support for my M3. Luckily they shared an emergency pull cable located inside the trunk near the driver taillight. You put your finger inside the ring and pull, the charger releases. The support said to make sure you only do this when the charger is truly locked/stuck. It is a last resort. Also, press stop charging before attempting to do this.