Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Set up in Garage Without the Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like strain relief is required, especially with the 120V plug.

If you're handy with a bandsaw you can make your own UMC holder. Here's mine:
IMG_5141.jpg
IMG_5142.jpg
IMG_5144.jpg

I'm sure any standard sized water bottle cage should work fine for the UMC. The one I used was just a random spare aluminum one I had lying around; it and all the other 4 or 5 misc bottle cages I have on various bikes all fit the same diameter bottles

Tip: if you intend to frequently unplug your UMC from the garage and take it with you, perhaps consider cutting a gap in the horizontal bar of the water bottle cage (as I mentioned with my pic earlier). It will save you from threading the 18 feet of cable through the cage each time you take/return the UMC from your garage.

I bought that one at Revolution Cycles in Rockville. I think any will do. I used nice dry wall anchors, the metal kind. I put a 1/4 nut between the holder and on the metal face of the anchor to act as a spacer to keep it off the wall. Maybe allow air to flow behind if necessary. Then used the screws that came with the anchor to secure. Not fancy but took all of five minutes to install and works fine.

Anyone willing to share some photos on how they have their charging equipment set up in the garage for those that just use the charging equipment that comes with the car (and not the wall connector)?

I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so that the plug is always connected to the Nema 14-50 outlet, but without the wires dangling on the garage floor.
There is a vendor that sells holders for the UMC for like 35 bucks (saw in TMC) they look nice. I almost bought one until we I noticed a small ledge the runs the length of the garage on one side. Have Rubbermaid rack system in garage I installed so I looped the other end on nearest object. Let me grab a photo for you. Pic worth a thousand words

Attachments

• IMG_8714.JPG
    IMG_8714.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 349
I take delivery soon. I hope.

I don't have a garage.

I had plans to mount a outdoor rated outlet on the exterior wall of my home near where I park. I've had an electrician out to confirm my plan.

Until reading this thread, like OP, I was aware I could just leave the cable at home and connected to the outlet.
After seeing how some of you have mounted your cable I am now thinking I want to mount a holder AND mount it inside of a waterproof box.

It may not be necessary, but I think it would give me price of mind knowing that the connection is not directly exposed to the elements.

Could someone give me a measurement in inches from the wall to the outside of the cable as it hangs from the wall?

I am thinking an empty breaker box or something, but need to know how deep such a box needs to be.