Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed slows down as you reach 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my model S for 6 months. But it used with the four-year Tesla warranty. It was manufactured December 2016. I live in the hills and therefore I eat up a lot of energy and the mileage adjusts showing me only 280 miles full charge which these days only goes to 99%. I rarely charge past 90%, however one of the Tesla tax suggested running up to 100% charge, running the car down to 10%, a couple of times which should improve the accuracy of the mileage readout for range.

I've noticed when charging 100% at home that my charge rate drops from 30 mph down to 5 to 8 mph.

My question is is it normal for the chartering to slow down as you near 100 percent?

I have my model S for 6 months. But it used with the four-year Tesla warranty. It was manufactured December 2016. I live in the hills and therefore I eat up a lot of energy and the mileage adjusts showing me only 280 miles full charge which these days only goes to 99%. I rarely charge past 90%, however one of the Tesla tax suggested running up to 100% charge, running the car down to 10%, a couple of times which should improve the accuracy of the mileage readout for range.

I've noticed when charging 100% at home that my charge rate drops from 30 mph down to 5 to 8 mph.

My question is is it normal for the chartering to slow down as you near 100 percent?

You should rarely, if ever, charge above 90%.

If the tech is telling you to ‘exercise’ the range of the battery that is to get the computer to better estimate your range in miles, but isn’t necessarily the best thing for the battery (probably won’t hurt).

This is a very interesting post here that is worth reading: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

It is normal for charge to slow way down as the battery gets close to being full, ideally you would drive soon after it hits 100%.

You should rarely, if ever, charge above 90%.
Or, alternatively, feel free to charge to 100% any time you think you need to to get where you’re going. Because that’s what it’s there for.
Uh, both. Sure, as needed. But dinking around with the numbers on the screen for your curiosity isn't really a need. And it is a little harmful to the battery to do it often.

This is normal. Tesla was overcharging batteries causing dendrites, accelerated degradation, imbalance, and occasionally fires. They slowed charging significantly to stop more damage. Unfortunately that's not all they did in response to the defect. It always slows at higher % but now it's much slower above 50%

Last edited:
Your battery is completely different from everyones in this forum. Model 3 is superior in many ways, and probably never had many if the design flaws that S owners have experienced.
The subject of this thread is home L2 charging. You’re saying that the Model S charges “much slower above 50% now”, which isn’t true for all Model S in the first place, and furthermore isn’t true for ANY Model S when talking about L2 AC charging.

@UncleCreepy is saying his Model 3 battery charges at the max rate his 48A L2 charger can provide to well north of 90%. This is true for every Model S as well.