Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed with wall connector and MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For starters, do not use MPH when asking questions as this figure is variable and changes based on the “standard” consumption per mile for different models. Instead look at the kWh when charging and see if they are the same.

Reactions: E90alex
For starters, do not use MPH when asking questions as this figure is variable and changes based on the “standard” consumption per mile for different models. Instead look at the kWh when charging and see if they are the same.
Where can I find the kWh rate? I’ve only seen that when supercharging. I don’t see it anywhere when plugged in to a wall connector.

Where can I find the kWh rate? I’ve only seen that when supercharging. I don’t see it anywhere when plugged in to a wall connector.

Look in the car. When charging you should see something like 48/48. The first number is the actual amperage charge rate and the second is the maximum available from the connector. Next to that you should the kW you are charging at and the voltage.

Change the display at the top to % instead of miles and it will show charging rate in kW
Thanks, that was what I needed. So I ran the tests again and both the M3 and MYP are charging at 11kW. So that confirms what you said. And when I change the display from % to miles it shows 36 mph for the MYP and 44 mph for the M3 LR. So it appears it’s related to the different size of each battery.

I wish the manual explained that rather than just stating that both the MY and M3 should charge at 44 mph. Anyways, thanks for the help. That eases my mind!

Reactions: PA_EV_New
Thanks, that was what I needed. So I ran the tests again and both the M3 and MYP are charging at 11kW. So that confirms what you said. And when I change the display from % to miles it shows 36 mph for the MYP and 44 mph for the M3 LR. So it appears it’s related to the different size of each battery.

I wish the manual explained that rather than just stating that both the MY and M3 should charge at 44 mph. Anyways, thanks for the help. That eases my mind!
Actually it has nothing to do with the size of the battery, it has to do with the efficiency of the vehicle. The MYP uses more energy to go the same distance (because it's bigger and heavier), so the charging rate expressed in mph is less.

For reference, my MYP on the mobile connector only squeaks out 25 miles per hour at full tilt.

I ordered a wall connector hoping for 44, but i will be happy with 36, i guess.

I definitely get the kWh is the preferred term, but MPH (as it is in the literature) definitely makes more sense to my primate brain.

For reference, my MYP on the mobile connector only squeaks out 25 miles per hour at full tilt.

I ordered a wall connector hoping for 44, but i will be happy with 36, i guess.

I definitely get the kWh is the preferred term, but MPH (as it is in the literature) definitely makes more sense to my primate brain.
Just don't look at the mph on the Cybertruck.

• Funny
Reactions: nkresho