Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station and Other Questions - Master's Student Data Gathering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all TMC Members;

My name is Derek Oppedisano and I'm a Master's student studying at the University of British Columbia in Clean Energy Engineering. For one of our research projects, me and two classmates are looking at renewable energy infrastructure within North America, to eventually provide some recommendations on policy and or potential solutions to simplify uptake of systems and technology (such as EVs).

In the interest of science I would open up a VERY quick questionnaire, that I'd like to ask you all:

1. When did you buy your Tesla?

2. Did you immediately (within 3 months) install a Level 2 or 3 charging station? (indicate yes/no, and charging type)

3. How much did your charging station cost? (including everything)

4. Scale from 1 to 10, how difficult was the process? 1 being easy, 10 being nearly impossible.

5. Would you invest in a solar array to offset the electricity you consume? If so, what would a "reasonable" cost be for you? (USD)

6. Please add any comments about the process to own an EV that you think I might find interesting/surprising (specific instances of difficulties, or improvements in your local policies or governance etc.)

NOTE: I will keep all of your information confidential and will not be disclosing this in any public way. Your data will be used solely to gather preliminary understandings of real customer values and opinions. Though it should be known that the general findings of this data may be used for future research and/or papers.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for helping and taking a couple minutes to answer :)

I included a little brochure that we've been handing out here in Vancouver if you are interested in contacting me directly.

Derek Oppedisano

Attachments

• Brochure Version 2.png
    Brochure Version 2.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA

A. March 2019

2. Did you immediately (within 3 months) install a Level 2 or 3 charging station? (indicate yes/no, and charging type)

B. Yes, already had one from owning a Nissan Leaf, Purchased the Tesla Wall EVSE for quicker charge. Level 2, I don’t think that there are Level 3 DCFC at home, as those are a lot higher voltage.

C. Cost $538.00 U.S. plus $300.00 to install

4. Scale from 1 to 10, how difficult was the process? 1 being easy, 10 being nearly impossible.

D. EVSE was easy to install, but you need to have a qualified electrician to run the correct gauge wires for the Circuit Breaker you are installing.

5. Would you invest in a solar array to offset the electricity you consume? If so, what would a "reasonable" cost be for you? (USD)

E. I’ve owned a 7.8kw Solar System since 2007, I pay 67.00 a year. Those are the utility company charges for using the Grid at night. Comes out to .17 cents per day.

6. Please add any comments about the process to own an EV that you think I might find interesting/surprising (specific instances of difficulties, or improvements in your local policies or governance etc.)

F. You will save lots of money on Fuel cost, example, I’ve own a Nissan Leaf all Electric since 2011, sold it in April 2019. Now do the Math, no fuel, No Tune ups, No Oil changes, No Smog checks, No brake pads replacements, those take a longer while to wear down. So for maintenance, change out Cabin filter and rotate tires. Best to live in a home and not an apartment so that you can install an EVSE to your 240 volt line.

Fred

February 27th, 2019

Um...technically no because it was already installed. I built a house before buying the car, and had the electrician install a NEMA 14-50 in the garage (Does a NEMA 14-50 outlet count as a charging station? lol)

$275 (probably very cheap compared to having it installed in a prebuilt house)

Yes...is this my personal solar on my roof or what? If it's mine, $5k would be nice

Don't make me pay so much for registration!

Oct 2018

Installed a Nema 14-50 receptacle myself

Including 100ft of 1/0-1/0-1/0-2 and new load center in garage - < $250

For me, who is comfortable with the process, still a 6 or so. Long run, thick cable etc.

Nope, live in an area with < 10c kw.

6. Please add any comments about the process to own an EV that you think I might find interesting/surprising (specific instances of difficulties, or improvements in your local policies or governance etc.).
Lots of people focus on how long they take to charge, or how long supercharging takes. "Well 45 minutes to charge on a trip, that's crazy! I can fill up my gas tank in 5 minutes!" I think people don't understand that lots of people with Teslas hardly ever go to a supercharger. I have 280+ miles of range everyday of the week when I pull out of the garage. I haven't gone to the gas station in 7 months. I've supercharged twice.

Another thought, that sucks for me in particular. People seem to focus on whether there is a supercharger close to their house. I have 3 (soon to be 4) within 25 minutes of my house. They're worthless to me. What you really need is a supercharger 100+ miles away, down the roads you frequently takes trips on. My wife's parents live 220 miles round trip with no supercharger along the way, unless I want to go an additional 45 minutes further from my house, past their house. That makes things interesting when it's 20degrees outside and range is reduced due to the temperature.

7. What kind of building do you live in? (Condo, apartment, house, duplex etc.)

House

April 2019

Yes . Level 2. NEMA 14-50 outlet.

$650 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet (inc labor, materials, permits)

1. Electrician took care of everything, including permits.

Yes, but to offset my entire electrical need, not just what my EV consumes. 8-10 year ROI would be reasonable.

Nothing comes to mind other the fact that some homes have limited capability. I have a 100 amp panel so limited to a 50A breaker. This is acceptable to me (30 MPH charge rate) but does not allow me to take full advantage of my car's charging capability should I ever need it. I think it is important for people to research this in advance.

7. What kind of building do you live in? (Condo, apartment, house, duplex etc.)
House.