Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some bits from a recent SAE newletter:
http://www.sae.org/standardsdev/news/P111164.pdf
US/SAE/GM standards "good":
...The development, adoption, and promotion of standards was emphasized by Dan Akerson, Chairman and CEO of General Motors Corporation, during his address at the SAE 2011 World Congress Banquet on April 14.
“It’s very important that we work together, with SAE, to develop and promote common standards for the industry as a whole,” Akerson said. “Common standards allow the industry to achieve better results sooner and more efficiently, and (they) accelerate acceptance of new products by the public at large.”...
European standards "not so much":
...The EU proposal expressed a strong preference for standards issued by organizations such as the International Organization for Standards (ISO) and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). In doing so, the proposal suggests that only these standards be recognized as “relevant international standards.”
SAE is one of the SDOs actively involved in monitoring this situation and making sure that the positions of SDOs are being heard. SAE’s Government Affairs Office consulted with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which sent an April 14th letter to the United States Trade Representative, National Security Council and National Economic Council, and Office of Management and Budget expressing “strong opposition” to the EU delegation’s proposal to the WTO. In addition, the U.S. Delegation to World Trade Organization has circulated a proposal in opposition to the EU proposal...

I found a 70 amp J1772 charging station that I was going to buy for my office. Here is the link to Eaton's Pow-R Station. When I called the office to find a location to buy their product, they indicated that in spite of what their website indicates, they are not going to produce the 70 A model as they felt that there was 'not a need for 70 amps,' and that 'no cars on the market could accept that much power.' I corrected him with Tesla models, and other upcoming models. Hopefully more people will call and let Eaton know that there is a market for higher power charging solutions. 855-386-3873.

http://www.gridsmartcity.com/pdf/Eaton-GSC-5-18-11-R2.pdf
gridimp.jpg

Thanks, I will give Mr. Farrell a call.

I held myself out to be a represenative of TMC and sent this letter:

Robert,

I'm sorry we were not able to connect via phone this last week. My name is Lloyd ------- and I left you several messages last 10 days or so and we have been playing phone tag. Perhaps I can accomplish with this e-mail more expediently what my phone call was trying to accomplish.

I represent the Tesla Motors club which has more than 10,000 members in countries around the world. Specifically our members either own a Tesla Roadster, have an order for a Model S, or have sufficient interest in purchasing one to be a member of our group. There are 2500 roadsters on the road, and deliveries of Model S's are within a year. Over 6000 have been pre-sold to date, and the company anticipates a ramp-up of production to 20,000 units per year within the first year of release or sooner.

Our group was pleased and excited to see that Eaton was one of the first companies to offer its EVSE configured to 70 amps, near the full level II SAE allowance of 80 amps. I specifically have been anticipating a unit that would provide increased amperage with a point of sale ability, and some of the styling and features that your unit allows. I am sure that you understand that these vehicles with batteries of 53KWH for the Roadster, and 90KWH for the Model S will need faster charging sources available to make them viable for means of longer range transportation. A 30 amp EVSE would take approximately 18 hours to fully charge a Model S battery. More powerful sources are needed, and not more lower power sources as may be touted by government programs.

We were all disappointed to learn from your sales staff in spite of your web site touting the release of this equipment, that Eaton does not intend to manufacture or release this equipment. Specifically I was told that Eaton had determined that there was not a need or market for such units. I was attempting to order several units for my office complex, but was halted immediately when I asked for the 70 amp capable units.

I'm sure that it is a mistake on the part of Eaton not to pursue this line of EVSE's. The purpose of my calls was in the hope that my opinion and that if my fellow club members would be enough to change Eaton's decision not to market these units. I will be your first customer!

Thanks for listening to my concerns! I anticipate your response.

I received the following response from Rob Farrell:

Hello Lloyd
I do apologize for being difficult to reach this week. I understand your concerns about the charge time for a large capacity battery pack while using a lower amperage Level 2 EVSE. I am the Marketing Director for Eaton's Canadian business and I know we have had a couple of similar inquiries. I had not been informed that the 70A product will not be introduced and I will reach out to the product development team in North Carolina to find out if this decision has been made or not.

Regards
Rob Farrell
Rob Farrell
Eaton, Electrical Sector, Canada

Last edited:
Note to reporters: please don't publish stories about charging standards agreements unless you get some details as to what has actually been agreed - including who has agreed to what!

Last edited:
Harrumph...

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/20110922_ACEA_Position_Paper_on_EVs_standardisation.pdf
For now we let everyone do what they are already doing...
...ACEA agreement for the vehicle inlet:
No restrictions on the type of vehicle inlet as vehicles with different types are already on the market or in a late development phase. Manufactures will provide at least one cable with Type 2 plug (Mode 3) or standard domestic plug (Mode 2) to connect to infrastructure...

Then some proposals for things to suggest in 2017...
...As for the proposed uniform EU solution (Phase 2 starting in 2017 for all new vehicle types on the vehicle side)...

...ACEA agreement: No communication between vehicle and grid is foreseen for the moment...

Basically it looks to me like they just agreed on which direction(s) to head with R&D, not specifically a short term unification of connection standards like we are hoping to see.

If you are interested you may want to read the document I linked above. It does have some "meat", but I was emphasizing the vague longer term nature of the "agreements".

---

Another from the document:
Remark: The development of public infrastructure shall not ban vehicles already equipped with other existing DC charging devices (e.g. CHAdeMO) and backward compatibility solutions for those vehicles should be considered.

Last edited:
Perhaps they agreed to charge electric cars with - electricity :tongue:

Edit: found the same PDF before TEG posted it. Another relevant part seems to be
As for the proposed uniform EU solution (Phase 2 starting in 2017 for all new vehicle types
on the vehicle side), ACEA suggest the Type 2/Type 2 Combo to be used in the EU as the
standard for AC/DC charging both on the side of the vehicle and the public charging
infrastructure, as long as it meets the required national safety requirements.

Now what is a Type 2 Combo? Page 8 shows something that reminds me of that ugly J1772 combo plug -- basically a J1772 plug with two additional DC pins botched on.

So, no Mennekes. Eberhard will be furious.

Last edited: