Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stuck at "Calculating..." for ~1hr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model X from 2016 that's been acting strangely with the extremely low temps we've have for the last few days here in New England. I had the car plugged in overnight to a Tesla Wall charger (72Amp) but the car didn't charge. I can chalk that up to user error for *reasons*. However, I unplugged and plugged the car in again and for almost an hour the charging display is stuck at the "Calculating ..." state. It seems to be drawing 1 Amp and there is no progress in the charging at all. I've used this Wall charger for years now and it's been fine. I don't see any error lights on the charger (just the green LED that indicates charging). Anyone here seen this before in cold weather ? In 5 years, this is the first time I'm seeing this. (Really hope I'm not looking at a bad battery here....)

If it's very cold charging could very well be adding no energy to the battery but the car would be trying to heat the battery. That should be pulling many amps. For example on a Model 3 with a single motor the car would need around 16A at 240V, which is ~3.8kW, just for that. Pulling just 1A means that it's not even heating the battery. Could it be that your battery heater doesn'T work? Or maybe your onboard chargers are bad?

Yeah, I'm starting to get concerned about something being wrong with the hardware. Time to call Tesla service. The cynic in me thinks that since the warranty is up, the car is basically a clunker now. (Just had to drop $6k to get all new air suspension hardware. Now this. Ugh.)

• Funny
Reactions: GtiMart
So, in case others run into this - the solution appears to be to drive the car a little. I drove ~5 miles and plugged it back in and the thing's charging at 72Amp. I guess that's the drawback for a car designed in California :rolleyes: - who knew temperatures could drop below zero

If the problem is the cold, the car is supposed to heat the battery when you plug it, and start charging when the battery's warm enough. There is no need to drive before. Clearly in your case it wasn't heating the battery. I think model X has a dedicated battery charger, maybe yours is defective.

The problem may be that your battery heater is broken. I just had mine replaced this past week under warranty. In the late January cold, I was only able to supercharge at a max of 10 kW/hr on a 20% battery, and that was after 1-1/2 hours sitting there. That disappointing experience led me to these forums, led me to another member who had these same issues in his S, led me to the service center. They confirmed the issue and replaced the battery heater.

The problem may be that your battery heater is broken. I just had mine replaced this past week under warranty. In the late January cold, I was only able to supercharge at a max of 10 kW/hr on a 20% battery, and that was after 1-1/2 hours sitting there. That disappointing experience led me to these forums, led me to another member who had these same issues in his S, led me to the service center. They confirmed the issue and replaced the battery heater.
Yeah, that's what Tesla service is saying. Scheduled appoint in March (they need more service centers here!). $1,600 :oops: