Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging tesla in calgary (no garage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be as hazardous as plugging in a block heater on an ICE vehicle, which is not very hazardous unless you are using a crappy extension cord, but that would not matter since the Tesla cord is decent length on its own. From what I understand on Lvl1, you probably won't get any charge at all when it is very cold out, it would just be enough to keep the battery warm.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I guess I would be concerned with how much range you would get when it's -20C (and lower).

I recall seeing a chart that shows the charging rate at 110V is something like 4-6 km/hr? That will be reduced in the cold.

I have charged my 2016 Model S outside when vacationing/traveling in winter.
Above freezing at 120v 12a I get ~1.4%/hour. When it drop to -5o (Celsius of course) the charge rate falls a bit to near or just below 1% (so about 2/3 of warmer temps). When it get colder say -15o to -20o charge rate drops to further to ~0.5-0.8%/hour (ie half to one third you warm weather charge.
This is all assuming that you plug in as soon as you arrive. Letting the battery cool down will mean you get next to no charge as the car will spend all the time trying to warm up the battery to minimum charging temperature. If you hook up when the battery is still somewhat warm the charging will help warm the battery a bit and the battery heater ill cycle on and off. When the heater is off is when the car charges.

• Informative
I suppose it depends on how much range you need each day. Do you only drive 20km/day? Maybe a weekly visit to a supercharger is enough.

Re: 220V dryer, I believe you can use the NEMA 14-50 plug/adaptor to do this and it will give you much more range/hour. I would suggest having an electrician review and comment though.

Here are all the adaptors you can use :

So essentially it's a no go. Must get level 2 or heated garage.

I wonder if can use the 220v plug from dryer
Of course you can. Take a photo of your dryer plug and use any number of plug type charts available online to determine what your dryer is plugged into. Tesla sells a variety of adaptors Tesla | Charging as to other companies For Tesla Model S, Model 3, Model X, & Model Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

CommonNEMAstraightbladeoutlets002.png

check this out if it's going to work for you..it's expensive. Maybe a 14-50 outlet would be better..