Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Tips Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am a new M3 owner and live in Glasgow so lots of free charging points around via ChargePlace Scotland including a 50KW CCS 2 minutes from my house.

How is it for my battery health if I use this once a week to top my battery up to 70-80% for my day to day commuting?

I have a home charger installed but keen to make use of the nearby free charging if it isn’t going to have a detrimental impact on my battery health.

Thanks.

Hello,

I am a new M3 owner and live in Glasgow so lots of free charging points around via ChargePlace Scotland including a 50KW CCS 2 minutes from my house.

How is it for my battery health if I use this once a week to top my battery up to 70-80% for my day to day commuting?

I have a home charger installed but keen to make use of the nearby free charging if it isn’t going to have a detrimental impact on my battery health.

Thanks.
I wondered this re 50Kw chargers, as i know supercharger regular use not good, but think that is more regular that once/week.

i also don't think the 50kw you will always see 50kw , more like 30-40kw, not 100% but i would say that would be fairly safe from what i have read elsewhere.

also is it a lease, if so, you probably wont see any affects!!

Personally I’d say it depends if you’re keeping the car.

Rapid charging, whether that’s Supercharging or CPS 50 kW charging, is really all the same, and not recommended as your sole source of charging if you want to keep the battery healthy.

In your case I’d recommend a mixture of rapid and home charging, with at least 50% at home. It really is so cheap to charge up at home on, say, Octopus GO that it’s more trouble than it’s worth using the 30-40kW charging you’d get for free.

Reactions: pow216
There are comments from people with older Teslas whereby their car has been 'nerfed' regarding DC charging capabilities after so many DC charges #batterygate - this has resulted in reduced ability to rapid charge as similar rates to when the car was new. Its apparently degenerative and is based upon the number of DC charges. Its definitely a real thing as I have been in conversation with a couple of Model S owners who commented how much their charging had slowed recently.

It would be only conjecture as to where this will come to a Model 3 near you.

Congrats on the new (and awesome) vehicle!

Unfortunately you cannot use CCS to charge your Tesla as there are no adapters for that. (Unless something is different in Europe than here in the US)
This thread is in the regional UK and Ireland Forum so the advice will differ from US

In the UK we get CCS as standard and can charge with a type 2 cable too without an adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Seth2020
This thread is in the regional UK and Ireland Forum so the advice will differ from US

In the UK we get CCS as standard and can charge with a type 2 cable too without an adapter.

Wow, I learned something. Thanks!

Charging Connectors

OKhxfp56NSzH-I8Ph2jUCffpUUGxivtLMNsG2m_X8XU.png

For what it's worth I charged an i3 pretty much only via rapid CCS for at least 9 of the 12 months I had it for, and didn't notice any dramatic drop in range or anything else, although it isn't impossible to interrogate the battery for degradation or anything.

Hello,

Thanks.
I live in Glasgow like yourself and use the Slow Chargers at the Local Railway Station while I'm at Work in Town, won't be possible for everyone but something to think about. The new Station at Robroyston has 12 Slow Chargers so plenty for everyone, for now.

Anyone considering a used EV should interrogate the ecu for the DC fast charge level - Scan My Tesla is your friend
i like to think I know what I am doing when buying used ICE cars but have no idea what to look for regarding battery health on a used EV. It may exist already but if not someone in the know needs to publish a guide to used Tesla (and other EV) buying explaining what to check and how to check it regarding battery health and anything else specific to Teslas/ EV's. sounds like an OBDII interface is a must have.

Hello,

Thanks.

Most of the 50kW chargers have slower 7kW - its down to time/convenience for me.
7kW and take a walk in the evening (weather dependant)
Free charging at work is a tough one as more and more EVs and only few parking bays so I use the rapid to clear the bay.
NB I've only used my home charge point for 10 seconds to make sure it worked :confused:

Why buy a £30k+ car and then be a cheapskate when it comes to the £2-£3 it will cost to charge overnight at home? Maybe i just value my time more but I would't take an hour af my time driving to and sitting at a charger for the sake of saving £2. Seriously tho why not leave the charging infrastructure for people who actually need it to use. Abuse of the free chargers by cheapskates will achieve only one thing.... the extinction of free charging.

Congrats on the new (and awesome) vehicle!

Unfortunately you cannot use CCS to charge your Tesla as there are no adapters for that. (Unless something is different in Europe than here in the US)
We do in fact. In Europe, Model 3 has a CCS connector, and S and X have conversions of some sort available to use CCS (and the CHAdeMO adapter the US also has).
European Teslas have never used the "Tesla connector".

• Helpful
Reactions: Seth2020
Hello,

Thanks.
I live in Dundee and have free AC and DC charging 5 minutes walk from my house. I mostly charge at home. When I'm going out (in the old days) I sometimes charge for free on AC at 7 or 11 kW (3 phase) in city centre car parks. Never on DC, you don't get long enough to go shopping or to go to the coffee shop.

I supercharged my way to Spain and back for free. No more of that for a while sadly. After 8 months I have never DC charged other than at Superchargers (I tried to twice, both failed).

Why buy a £30k+ car and then be a cheapskate when it comes to the £2-£3 it will cost to charge overnight at home? Maybe i just value my time more but I would't take an hour af my time driving to and sitting at a charger for the sake of saving £2. Seriously tho why not leave the charging infrastructure for people who actually need it to use. Abuse of the free chargers by cheapskates will achieve only one thing.... the extinction of free charging.

What's the definition of people that actually need to use free charging ? Couriers, Taxis, Royal Mail other commercial companies ?

It's free as an incentive to move from ICE (return on investment calc), just like tax breaks and plug in grants - only the naïve would think they'll be around forever.

Just like saving a £2-£3 when I fill my 4x4 I'll go to supermarket pumps whilst shopping.

Octopus GO

Might want to give Agile a go. My average rate is working out at 7.2p over all usage. Lately theyve had plunge prices @-4.5p per KWh.

Here is me charging my Tesla and Leaf at the same time (one via Tesla charger and one via 13 amp 10KW in total). Your other usage pales in comparison (usually around 10KWh/ day for us)

This is my January:
Rate 7.60p/kWh
Consumption 549.9 kWh
Cost £41.813

charging.JPG

Reactions: Roy W.
Might want to give Agile a go. My average rate is working out at 7.2p over all usage. Lately theyve had plunge prices @-4.5p per KWh.

Here is me charging my Tesla and Leaf at the same time (one via Tesla charger and one via 13 amp 10KW in total). Your other usage pales in comparison (usually around 10KWh/ day for us)

This is my January:
Rate 7.60p/kWh
Consumption 549.9 kWh
Cost £41.813

View attachment 535031
That's interesting what's the split of the 549.9kWh car charging vs 'normal' home

i like to think I know what I am doing when buying used ICE cars but have no idea what to look for regarding battery health on a used EV. It may exist already but if not someone in the know needs to publish a guide to used Tesla (and other EV) buying explaining what to check and how to check it regarding battery health and anything else specific to Teslas/ EV's. sounds like an OBDII interface is a must have.
Use an OBD dongle and the app ‘Scan My Tesla’ or the app ‘LeafSpy’ for another brand of car. There are others coming online, most show max capacity and how much DC charging has been used.