Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 100% speed from home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question, when charging from home to 100% (In the event of a long drive) does it limit the charge rate just like it does at superchargers? At home will it take the same amount of time to go from 0% - 50% as it will to go from 50% to 100?

Michael

Here's a charge I did from 72% to 100% on my home 7kw charger. It started tapering the charge from 95%, so the final 5% took 1h10 compared to 25m to go from 90% to 95%. The higher the charge rate the earlier it has to start tapering, so with a super charger it starts tailing off much much earlier.

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 15.50.16.png

I don't know about to 100% as 100% seem to mean something different on newer batteries but if it follows similar pattern to older battery tech...

Starting off it will be quite slow (but only really noticeable if you are watching it...insomnia that kind of thing...), especially in winter when thermal mass of the battery is cold. Then it will be fairly flat, until/if you get to the point where you start to balance the batteries, whatever that point on your car is, when it will slow to a crawl. You may even find battery % going backwards when its balancing batteries.

Last edited:
Quick question, when charging from home to 100% (In the event of a long drive) does it limit the charge rate just like it does at superchargers? At home will it take the same amount of time to go from 0% - 50% as it will to go from 50% to 100?

Michael

As per replies above.. but which car? The one we don't know about is the new MIC SR+. As it is designed to charge all the way to 100% routinely it may be that the slowing will be even less ... perhaps none at all.

On my 2021 Chinese M3 Long Range I recently put in an extra charge in advance of a long journey. It was the first time that I had charged the car over 284mi/86%.

I found that the charge was about 10% slower that at lower levels of battery charge. This was with a 3pin lead at home.

On my 2021 Chinese M3 Long Range I recently put in an extra charge in advance of a long journey. It was the first time that I had charged the car over 284mi/86%.

I found that the charge was about 10% slower that at lower levels of battery charge. This was with a 3pin lead at home.
3pin is so slow to begin with there is not much scope/need to slow down. Other chargers slow down to that speed.

I'm currently topping up to 100% (for the first time since new) as we will be using the car immediately afterwards for a 150m drive followed by a short drive in the morning then around 250m tomorrow afternoon (with a supercharger stop part way)

It's been using 3.5kW solar via the Zappi for several hours & remains on that at 99% as I type - no slowing down has happened.

EDIT: amperage has fluctuated 12/13A but now showing 100% charge 13/13A & 15 min remaining

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 15.43.24.png

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 15.58.07.png

Last edited: