Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with a 3 prong dryer outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No green light / 3 flashing red lights - Relay contactor fault. Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and then plug it back in. Try a different outlet. If the error persists, contact Tesla.

I wouldn't have been so quick to change the 10-30R to the 14-30R unless I knew the ground wire was properly connected at the service panel. I would have tightened the connections on the 10-30R and tried to charge. Rapidly going down a rabbit hole now; no way of knowing where it will end.
Agree with the rabbit hole. I've turned off the breaker and I'm calling an electrician tomorrow. Hope I can get someone out here quickly. Thanks for your help.

There are some who would suggest the Leviton specials at Home Depot are crap, they absolutely are if they are 14-50 outlets. I'm not so sure about the 14-30 variety. I doubt it is causing your problem, though.

Can you try your neighbor's UMC, just to eliminate it as an issue?

247-248 volts is perfectly acceptable, dropping to 241 under load is also expected. Did you happen to check it while someone else is turning the microwave on? If the microwave is dragging one line particularly low, it might trigger some bad UMC behavior. It should be impossible for a microwave to draw enough power to really mess things up, though.

Agree with the rabbit hole. I've turned off the breaker and I'm calling an electrician tomorrow. Hope I can get someone out here quickly. Thanks for your help.
One thing you can try is to charge using the 5-15 plug adapter and a standard outlet. If you still have the flashing red lights then there is a problem with the Mobile Connector; may be a separate problem with the 240V circuit too.

I ran the microwave myself so I didn't get to see... I'll get help tomorrow and try again.

The rabbit hole is real though. Just noticed my breaker panel is GE and the 30amp breaker is Square D. Not sure how much that can affect things but I would prefer if it was a GE breaker like the rest.

And yes, I'm using the black Leviton surface mount kit so which is really funky to work with but I can see they choose this because of limited space. Thinking of creating some space and switching out to a flush mount outlet with a proper box...

Lastly, I started searching this forum for the 3blightbissue and finally found an old thread where several folks encountered the same issue but with furnaces and other 220v appliances. They all ended with a new UMC that fixed their problem. I'm taking a trip to Tesla tomorrow. (Don't want to mess up my neighbor's UMC of my electrical is messed up and caused my new UMC to go bad.)

One thing you can try is to charge using the 5-15 plug adapter and a standard outlet. If you still have the flashing red lights then there is a problem with the Mobile Connector; may be a separate problem with the 240V circuit too.
Just tried this. Same problem with the 5-15 plus when the microwave turned on. UMC is starting to sound more and more fishy.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe