Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 model S is having issues charging at home and at the supercharger. It will start to charge and stop after 1-2 minutes. I push the key fob to open the door and it starts charging again. I stumbled upon the fact that if I open my trunk it will charge. The charging is only producing 7Kw so very slow..

Very few information, so hard to tell… First 2021 should be under warranty, unless odometer is above 50k miles. Secondly, what is used to charge at home, is it the mobile UMC or HPVC? Third, is the SuC also restricted to 7kW? Onboard charger has to connection, AC and DC. SuC, as DC is bypassing the charger so should not be that low.

Does it really only have a 50,000 mile warranty? That's crazy.
The bumper-to-bumper warranty is 4 yr or 50k miles, whichever comes first, while the main HV battery/drive motor warranty is 8 yr/150k miles.

So whether the OPs issue would be warranty coverage totally depends upon the root cause. If this is somehow related to the HV battery, then would be covered. However if it's somehow related to something like the on-board charging unit or some other charging related system, then it likely ends up being outside of warranty.

Similar issue a couple years back. Mine ended up being a coolant issue and fluid wasn’t moving around. They finally replaced a 3 way valve I believe. In my case it would start to charge and soon after trip something (maybe heat related?) and then shutoff and blink red.
you dont suppose opening a trunk or door is causing your AC to turn on and start coolant moving again so it keeps charging?
just a random thought.

Very few information, so hard to tell… First 2021 should be under warranty, unless odometer is above 50k miles. Secondly, what is used to charge at home, is it the mobile UMC or HPVC? Third, is the SuC also restricted to 7kW? Onboard charger has to connection, AC and DC. SuC, as DC is bypassing the charger so should not be that low.
Whether or not it’s a warranty issue, you should make a service appointment. No one here can fix your car.
Update I spoke with tech support they think it’s the battery control module based on what they saw when they remoted into the cars system. I have an appointment Monday. My biggest frustration was I called road side they refused to come. The car was flashing a warning that it might not start after I stopped. Well that wasn’t an option I was 200 miles from home. luckily it did start back up after I stopped at a Supercharger. Same rule applied, charge for about a minute then stop unless the trunk was open..