Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charleston WV Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any forum members have any leads on 240V charging options on Charleston, preferably within walking distance of downtown? I'm hoping to take our X next week, but can't make the roundtrip without picking up about 120 miles or more of charge while there (24 hours parked).

PlugShare doesn't show a whole lot, hoping there are some fellow owners that have some insight for me.

One thing you may not have thought of its Campgrounds/RV parks.

What they call "50 Amp service" is a NEMA 14-50 plug, like your UMC ships with. Many of them are willing to give you a reduced rate to charge an EV. Some want a full night for it, though - it pays to call ahead.

A quick googling turned up three RV parks near Charleston, but only the furthest and largest one appears to have 50 Amp service - 20 miles from town. That probably won't help you much. There might be more such options that just didn't come up in my first few hits.

"30 Amp Service" means a TT-30 plug and 120V @ 30A, which might be enough to make your requirement if you have a special adapter for it and the car charged on the entire time, but it isn't nearly as helpful.

One thing you may not have thought of its Campgrounds/RV parks.

What they call "50 Amp service" is a NEMA 14-50 plug, like your UMC ships with. Many of them are willing to give you a reduced rate to charge an EV. Some want a full night for it, though - it pays to call ahead.

A quick googling turned up three RV parks near Charleston, but only the furthest and largest one appears to have 50 Amp service - 20 miles from town. That probably won't help you much. There might be more such options that just didn't come up in my first few hits.

"30 Amp Service" means a TT-30 plug and 120V @ 30A, which might be enough to make your requirement if you have a special adapter for it and the car charged on the entire time, but it isn't nearly as helpful.

Thanks for the feedback. In the interim, I did find a campground/hotel with a 14-50 available, albeit on the route, not in Charleston. Would require a 1 hour stop to and from to make up what 120V can't provide. At least there's one alternative to burning gas in the Volt.

You checked plugshare? I see 3 J1772 in Charleston. One at a McDonalds and 2 at dealerships. The dealerships have seemed accommodating to other than brand EV's. There are also 4 owners listing their 100 amp chargers in plugshare. Maybe call and check.

Last edited:
You checked plugshare? I see 3 J1772 in Charleston. One at a McDonalds and 2 at dealerships. The dealerships have seemed accommodating to other than brand EV's. There are also 4 owners listing their 100 amp chargers in plugshare. Maybe call and check.

I must not have had the private chargers checked, as I don't recall seeing any. I did see the McDonald's units listed, but was concerned about reliability based on some of the comments. Thasks for the heads up!

I must not have had the private chargers checked, as I don't recall seeing any. I did see the McDonald's units listed, but was concerned about reliability based on some of the comments. Thasks for the heads up!
I've used that McDonald's charger. Screen is hard to read, but you can get it going if you hold your BLINK card up to the reader. Unfortunately, it's set up for only 24 Amps and 208 Volts.