TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Check your AC

Discussion in 'Model S' started by norm, Feb 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jnahanna

jnahanna Member

Thanks for the info can you post what parts were replaced/repaired.

2. jnahanna

jnahanna Member

Well since I have no warranty I decided to try the fix for myself since I had nothing to loose. It took 1 hr to pull the DC/DC converter from the car and I was able to open it and replace the 5$ 40 Amp fuse, then resealed the unit. Works great! Not sure why TM doesn't refurbish these units there is nothing to it. Oh BTW there are 4 HV Fuses inside the DC/DC converter.

AC compressor: 40A
    Battery Heater: 20A
    Cabin Heater: 20A
    DC/DC: 40A

Thanks, Jim

• Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  3. jnahanna

jnahanna Member

Oh and now I check the AC before and after any over air software update and before and after any TM service. Just to see when it occurs.

BTW it has been stable since the fix and in 102 Deg F heat. With 2 over air updates.

4. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

My June 2016 is in service now for A/C issues again... Symptoms this time are, if car is stationary or preconditioning before a drive the ac blows hot, if I drive it some distance the ac starts working. That also means slow supercharging since it can't cool the battery pack when stationary.

My car has been in for A/C issues before, when I first got the car I went on a road trip that weekend and the AC completely stopped working blowing hot air at all times! It was diagnosed as an internal short and the ac unit was replaced which seemed to fix the problem, however I will say my car A/C never seems to work as well to cool the cabin on a hot day as my old ICE car's so hopefully when they are done it will work better then before.

5. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

Dropped the car off Wednesday last week, Initially they Thought it was the condenser fan they replaced that and it did not resolve the issue. Next up they replaced the high pressure sensor which also didnt resolve the issue, Now they think its a harness or connector issue and will be replacing that later this week when it comes in.... Hopefully they can track it down!

6. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Please describe the location. Is there only a single DCDC converter?

7. jnahanna

jnahanna Member

Yes there is only one. For the Gen 1 models its located in the front right fender well behind the splash gaurd. This is also the easiest way to access the 12V aux battery on these early models

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Yes the dc to dc converter is in the front passenger wheel well on older S’s.

s.

9. David.85D

David.85D Member

What size fuses were they? I’m trying to assemble my spares kit.

10. jnahanna

jnahanna Member

The two 40's were fwp40a14fa I didn't get the model numbers of the 20's but they were the smaller standard size.

11. David.85D

David.85D Member

Thanks. Searching online I see prices from $30-$50. Is that what you paid? Seems like a lot for a fuse

12. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

13. jnahanna

jnahanna Member

Looking back I guess they were $15 on Amazon.

14. David.85D

David.85D Member

I ordered one of the 40A fwp40a14fa from eBay and they sent me a box of ten. PM me if you want one. Just the cost of mailing. They look authentic, but I can’t guarantee anything...

• Helpful x 1
  15. Julienx2k2

Julienx2k2 Member

Thats interesting, we have the same trouble with our 2013 P85+. In addition we have often warning messages like "reduced AC, power being used to cool battery systems"; when outside temp is very high the car struggles to generate cold air; supercharging speed depends on outside temp etc.

Tesla has diagnosed a faulty left AC condenser that needs replacement.

How did that thing turn out for you?