Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check your AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this repair done in February as well on my '13 S85. I was quite thankful for my extended warranty as it has now paid for itself in the first year that I have had it active. I am curious about firmware actually be the root cause of the failure; seems to me that that is a fault of Tesla's and they should cover it no matter what.
Thanks for the info can you post what parts were replaced/repaired.

Well since I have no warranty I decided to try the fix for myself since I had nothing to loose. It took 1 hr to pull the DC/DC converter from the car and I was able to open it and replace the 5$ 40 Amp fuse, then resealed the unit. Works great! Not sure why TM doesn't refurbish these units there is nothing to it. Oh BTW there are 4 HV Fuses inside the DC/DC converter.

AC compressor: 40A
Battery Heater: 20A
Cabin Heater: 20A
DC/DC: 40A

Thanks, Jim

My June 2016 is in service now for A/C issues again... Symptoms this time are, if car is stationary or preconditioning before a drive the ac blows hot, if I drive it some distance the ac starts working. That also means slow supercharging since it can't cool the battery pack when stationary.

My car has been in for A/C issues before, when I first got the car I went on a road trip that weekend and the AC completely stopped working blowing hot air at all times! It was diagnosed as an internal short and the ac unit was replaced which seemed to fix the problem, however I will say my car A/C never seems to work as well to cool the cabin on a hot day as my old ICE car's so hopefully when they are done it will work better then before.

Dropped the car off Wednesday last week, Initially they Thought it was the condenser fan they replaced that and it did not resolve the issue. Next up they replaced the high pressure sensor which also didnt resolve the issue, Now they think its a harness or connector issue and will be replacing that later this week when it comes in.... Hopefully they can track it down!

Well since I have no warranty I decided to try the fix for myself since I had nothing to loose. It took 1 hr to pull the DC/DC converter from the car and I was able to open it and replace the 5$ 40 Amp fuse, then resealed the unit. Works great! Not sure why TM doesn't refurbish these units there is nothing to it. Oh BTW there are 4 HV Fuses inside the DC/DC converter.

Thanks, Jim

Please describe the location. Is there only a single DCDC converter?

Yes the dc to dc converter is in the front passenger wheel well on older S’s.

Shortly after reading @norm 's original post, I also discovered the AC wasn't working in my 2013 S85. Service Center replaced the DC-DC converter, explaining that the AC-specific fuse blew and fuses in the DC-DC converter are not replaceable. Strange that several of us have seen this same failure almost simultaneously. Repair invoice states fuse blew due to "moisture exposure," but I wonder if there was something in the software code that triggered a borderline high-current event to cause a small(?) percentage of us to experience the DC-DC fuse issue..??..

If root cause really was moisture incursion, anyone have any ideas how this might happen (path of moisture)?
s.

Thanks, Jim

What size fuses were they? I’m trying to assemble my spares kit.

Dropped the car off Wednesday last week, Initially they Thought it was the condenser fan they replaced that and it did not resolve the issue. Next up they replaced the high pressure sensor which also didnt resolve the issue, Now they think its a harness or connector issue and will be replacing that later this week when it comes in.... Hopefully they can track it down!

Thats interesting, we have the same trouble with our 2013 P85+. In addition we have often warning messages like "reduced AC, power being used to cool battery systems"; when outside temp is very high the car struggles to generate cold air; supercharging speed depends on outside temp etc.

Tesla has diagnosed a faulty left AC condenser that needs replacement.

How did that thing turn out for you?

Reactions: rickyjb