Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checking Interest 1/15 P85DL w 90 battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
Changing my Plaid + to a Plaid order and am not really happy with Tesla's trade in offer so I'm checking interest on the forum....
P85D
Jan 2015 delivery so it has the firmer suspension
L upgrade which ended up being a change to a 90 (85 failed seal test before the upgrade could proceed)
Red
Black Interior
Sport Seats
Red Roof
AP1
Dual Chargers
Rims and tires from the new car (keeping current for my new car)
98,000 miles
Left Rear 1/4 panel replaced from an accident about 30,000 miles back. The rear 1/4 panel is a structural member so the car must be on a frame machine for this repair (which it was and by a Tesla authorized shop). The repair was perfect and the paint match is very good.

I'm thinking this should be a $40K car but would love to hear some feedback. Do not worry, I have a very thick skin :)

If you need to get a hold of me use Bill at my screen name followed by the obligatory dot com.

Thanks,
Bill

I'm awaiting feedback on this as well as I'll be posting a similar one in the near future. Pre-owned inventory pricing is all over the map right now. But no time better than now to sell is what I've been hearing from numerous sources. GLWS...

From questions I've been asked.
I am the original owner. The car has premium sound and power lift gate.
The 90 was done when the 85 failed vacuum check prior to the L upgrade. The pack went back to Fremont and when it came back it was a 90. The car "sees" itself as a P90D. The L upgrade and thus the change to 90 occurred 4/16.
It does have the + suspension.
It does have unlimited super charging
The accident repair was flawless from a component installation, paint and driving perspective. I can not see where the paint was blended in and there has been no change in handling or tire wear.
It range charged to 242 miles showing "99%" charge this morning.
The title states "2015 Tesla" for the model year.

The car is currently filthy and scheduled for a wash/wax after which I will ad pics.
As for Tesla, way to low a number to be considered which is exactly the experience I had when I went to trade my P85 when the P85D was coming in. Tesla was $9K low wholesale to wholesale comparison :0. That really surprised me at the time as it is an interesting way to treat a returning customer. I've since come to understand it is the Tesla way and am no longer shocked by the behavior.

For now, this is the car back when I put the rims on; it was much newer :)

Looking at the pictures, it looks pretty much the same now.

I was talking with one of my good friends about the new car coming in and he asked about my P90DL. I told him I was in the process of selling and he bought the car from me. Its good its "staying in the family" and he has known the car since I took delivery. He even went with me on a couple of occasions to check out the repair while in process so he knows exactly how the car was fixed and how it has behaved post accident.

Thank you to all for your feedback.

Bill

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4
I was talking with one of my good friends about the new car coming in and he asked about my P90DL. I told him I was in the process of selling and he bought the car from me. Its good its "staying in the family" and he has known the car since I took delivery. He even went with me on a couple of occasions to check out the repair while in process so he knows exactly how the car was fixed and how it has behaved post accident.

Bill
Curious as I have one with 73K miles. How much did you sell it for? I may also be in the market to sell mine.

You will find numbers from as low as $21k from Tesla on trade through $50k retail for a perfect car from what I have seen.
Tesla offered $9k less than wholesale (literally a wholesaler's quote) for my P85 when the PD was on the way so I was already wise to exactly how Tesla treats returning customers. I see a lot of things pick over in these forums and have been amazed that such a business practice is not one of them. The fact that it is not is probably how Tesla is successful in continuing the practice; no one seems to notice.

Tesla gets away with treating customers like garbage because the average dealer is worse. BMW dealers have become notorious for how terrible they are in cost of service and low trade in values. It is so bad that 3 to 5 year old used BMW's are actually quite cheap right now. This also happened to Mercedes for a while back in the Chrysler days.

I will say that low Tesla trade in values might also be an outcome of them being the single source for new Tesla cars. Normal dealers have to compete against other dealers to make a deal, and price of a trade is a part of that. There is only one Tesla, you don't like the trade value, tough, go sell it and lose the trade in sales tax advantage. That in theory gives them an advantage in the market in any state that offers a sales tax exemption for the value of the trade.

In the end though you walk into any dealer with a 3 year old car they are going to try to make money on that car by offering a low price. They know that most people aren't going to sell it themselves, so they will offer as little as they feel like they can get away with. Since every used car is different (or at least that is what they will tell you) you can't easily shop your trade in around to regional dealers over the phone. Since most people won't drive to 30 different dealers they know they can sell the new car at near zero profit and make it up when they sell the 3 year old used car.

My brother sells cars, and his manufacturer usually offers some good discounts around March each year. His used car manager pays pretty handsomely for one year old used cars, and so in that case if you buy a car each March when the incentives are strong, then their trade in offer is pretty close to what you paid the previous year. They also know that people who turn over cars annually are really valuable to them, so that helps with the pricing of everything. So not every dealer is terrible, but on average they are. In general dealers in high cost locations are going to be worse because their costs are much higher. The old adage, drive a little, save a lot applies. If you are shopping for BMW's they don't really have rural dealers, so, you should expect the experience to be expensive.

Bill
Do you mind me asking what you got for it? I have nearly identical car and due to the unusual nature of it the pricing is hard to determine. Mine has the V3 90kw battery, is that the same version yours has? I’m not really selling mine, but hey everything has a price.

Keep in mind that mine had a $28k repair about 50k miles ago. The repair was perfect to the point that you can not even see the paint blending after this many years but there was a significant repair. In my case, my bud is mechanically inclined and went with me several times to monitor progress as they repaired the car. He has the benefit of knowing it was done right and watching the repair age with the car. Anyone else would not have this data and would be rightfully wary/careful when evaluating a purchase.

Just my observation but I think people were interested in the actual price you sold your car for. If you don’t want to disclose that info then that’s fine but you probably should just say that. Many buyers and sellers are trying to gauge the pricing for used Teslas so this information helps them. I’m assuming by your thread title that you were originally trying to do the same.