Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its the proprietor that is offering the electricity....is it not? Its no different than if one uses a J1722 adapter when charging up their Tesla at a "public" charging station.

Who agreed to participate in the Tesla Destination Program in order for free charging and installation services, allowing them to attract a specific set pf patrons to their establishment.

Dont know...why does it matter? If Chargepoint, Clipper Creek, or Juicebox L2 J1722 chargers were there (regardless who paid for them)..Telas could use those to charge also...could they not?

All Teslas are EV's. All EV's are not Teslas.

If you pay for and offer your charging station to all EV's, then a Tesla is a subset of that group.

If you agree to participate in Teslas program to offer charging to their owners, then other EV's are not a part of that group.

As has already been discussed in the other thread(s) on this topic, it's pretty clear what Tesla's intent is. Just look at the signage in the very video that started this discussion. Or consider that Tesla had to make their newer wall connectors capable of disabling standard J1772 us for these types of installations, and the adapter folks had to specifically incorporate a defeat device in order to spoof the connector to help themselves.

And if you manage to forge a keycard to get in the premier United lounge at the airport, I assume you'll sneak in and eat as many snacks and beverages as you can?

Please show me a destination charging station agreement when it explicitly says the business receiving the stations is forbidden from letting non-Teslas use them. Thanks.

Because Tesla paid for the hardware and gave it to the proprietor. ??

Maybe my momma raised me wrong, but I would consider it stealing. If there were Chevy branded proprietary chargers (or whatever), paid for by General Motors to attract Chevrolet EVs, I would never use a 3rd party, non-GM approved adapter to charge on one of those chargers.

Not wrong. It's just a plug. Protocols is usually standard, although Tesla has the ability to use proprietary enhancements if they wish. Tesla decided (rightly in my opinion) to go for a single plug instead of J1772, and as such the equipment they offer has that plug. People can use an adapter, just as Tesla owners use a J1772 socket adapter and CHAdeMO adapter.

It's up to Tesla and the host to decide whether only Tesla cars get to use the chargers. Tesla pays for the charger but doesn't place any conditions on use.

Last edited:
I think the hardware is provided by Tesla, but then all the electricity and management of the unit is done by the business that owns it. Which is the larger cost, I would imagine. There are a (very) few places that do charge Tesla owners for use of their destination chargers. Most do require you to be a paying customer at least. If I ask at a hotel as a paying customer, and they are OK with it, then I see no issue. The hardware is theirs to use as they see fit as far as I know.

I guess it is like the EVGo units around town and at dealerships that are part of the BMW and Nissan free charging program. Those manufacturers paid money to be a part of that program and put those chargers in. I still use those chargers and don’t really feel any issue with it even though I am not a BMW or Nissan customer. I am an EVGo customer in that case.

"BMW and Nissan free charging program" != "Tesla destination charging program"

Not wrong. It's just a plug. Protocols is standard, although Tesla has the ability to use proprietary enhancements if they wish. Tesla decided (rightly in my opinion) to go for a single plug instead of J1772, and as such the equipment they offer has that plug. People can use an adapter, just as Tesla owners use a J1772 adapter and CHAdeMO adapter.

If something is offered to all with a standard plug, then there's reasonable expectation to interoperate with it.

Example: Charging kiosk at airport offers powered USB connectors, no problem using an adapter to the mircro USB on my Android phone. Or an iPhone with a cable that works with it's port

If something is not intended for all, and has a proprietary plug intended for its devices, then there is not reasonable expectation to interoperate with it.

Example: Apple pays for and offers complimentary kiosks at airports for it's customers with their proprietary port. Deciding to use that service installed by Apple with an adapter to instead charge your phone isn't what Apple intended, even if the clueless airport attendee doesn't know any better.

Reactions: SSonnentag
If something is offered to all with a standard plug, then there's reasonable expectation to interoperate with it.

Example: Charging kiosk at airport offers powered USB connectors, no problem using an adapter to the mircro USB on my Android phone. Or an iPhone with a cable that works with it's port

If something is not intended for all, and has a proprietary plug intended for its devices, then there is not reasonable expectation to interoperate with it.

Example: Apple pays for and offers complimentary kiosks at airports for it's customers with their proprietary port. Deciding to use that service installed by Apple with an adapter to instead charge your phone isn't what Apple intended, even if the clueless airport attendee doesn't know any better.

Tesla doesn't place restrictions on use. They could have made them entirely proprietary, but didn't. They could charge a license fee, but didn't. It's no different to Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. CHAdeMO doesn't ban adapters, so Tesla's adapter is OK.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Tesla doesn't place restrictions on use. They could have made them entirely proprietary, but didn't. They could charge a license fee, but didn't. It's no different to Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. CHAdeMO doesn't ban adapters, so Tesla's adapter is OK.
From that video:
TDP.JPG

There's other evidence of Tesla's intent already discussed: The new TWC's have been installed with J1772 capability disabled, oin order for only Teslas to charge there. The adapter maker had to modify it to spoof the proprietary protocol to game the system.

It's really your belief Tesla's intent is to offer this to any EV?

Please show me a destination charging station agreement when it explicitly says the business receiving the stations is forbidden from letting non-Teslas use them. Thanks.
Apparently your stance is that unless something is specifically prohibited, it's ok to take it, even if not offered to you, as long as you find a way to forge a key.

Just looked that one up on plugshare. Awesome.... but if that little clipper creek EVSE beside all those superchargers could speak, it'd be saying "Wait for me guys!!"
228672.jpg

@Uncle Paul, I stand corrected from my post earlier in this thread that you were confusing Supercharger and Destination Charging locations. Interesting that they are putting regular J1772 stations both types of Tesla chargers. As others have said, these are likely required by the hosting site as part of the agreement to install the Supercharger site. Small monetary price to pay for the access to the land....

And can you guys take your conversation about plugging a non-Tesla into a Tesla HPC at a destination charger elsewhere? I don’t care to read you folks rehash this same off topic conversation over and over again in this thread as well. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lasairfion and GSP
From that video:
View attachment 303924

There's other evidence of Tesla's intent already discussed: The new TWC's have been installed with J1772 capability disabled, oin order for only Teslas to charge there. The adapter maker had to modify it to spoof the proprietary protocol to game the system.

It's really your belief Tesla's intent is to offer this to any EV?

It doesn't matter what Tesla's intent is. If they don't restrict it through any of the available legal avenues, then it's OK for a company to produce an adapter and for people to use it to charge there. Tesla doesn't pay for the electricity at their destination charging hosts, and doesn't set the rules. It's up to the _host_ to decide.

Since you mentioned them, it's worth noting that Apple is very restrictive, comes down hard with lawyers and demands license fees. Has Tesla done any of that to the adapter manufacturer?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not wrong. It's just a plug. Protocols is usually standard, although Tesla has the ability to use proprietary enhancements if they wish. Tesla decided (rightly in my opinion) to go for a single plug instead of J1772, and as such the equipment they offer has that plug. People can use an adapter, just as Tesla owners use a J1772 socket adapter and CHAdeMO adapter.

It's up to Tesla and the host to decide whether only Tesla cars get to use the chargers. Tesla pays for the charger but doesn't place any conditions on use.
I think there is a dip swith that will allow Tesla only charging: How to charge other EVs from tesla destination charger? • r/electricvehicles

Apparently your stance is that unless something is specifically prohibited, it's ok to take it, even if not offered to you, as long as you find a way to forge a key.
If he obtained permission to use...he's good to go.

No verbiage regarding non Tesla use....suhhhhhweet:
Tesla is paying for the deployment of destination AC chargers that all EVs can use-

screen-shot-2017-06-25-at-9-15-02-pm.png

Last edited:
And as long as that entitled attitude exists, there will be those that feel "getting over" on something is great.

People are not "getting over" on Tesla any more than Tesla owners who bought a CHAdeMO adapter and use chargers at Nissan dealerships are "getting over" on Nissan.

Tesla negotiates the terms of the provision of the charger with the host
Tesla owns the plug design
Tesla owns the socket design
Tesla owns its protocols

Tesla has multiple ways in which it could enforce Tesla-only charging at the destination chargers. It could have stopped the adapter sales dead, but it did not.

Also, Tesla does not pay for the electricity at destination chargers, so the use of the destination charger does not impose any additional cost on Tesla.

Reactions: Rocky_H
People are not "getting over" on Tesla...

You aren't saying that you don't believe Tesla intends the destination charger program to be only for it's vehicles, you said, "It doesn't matter what Tesla's intent is.".

So, if somebody:

- believes something is not intended for them

- was never offered a way to interoperate with that device by the owner of the intellectual property

- has to forge a tool to gain physical access to that resource

- has to further utilize a method to get around the logical lockout on the device

- can directly observe signage that stipulates it's for a make/model they don't own

and helps themselves anyway... then yeah they are getting over... whatever rationalization they care to come up with.

...any more than Tesla owners who bought a CHAdeMO adapter and use chargers at Nissan dealerships are "getting over" on Nissan.

We've covered this in the other thread. In some cases Nissan corporate has indeed told dealers to stop sharing the chargers. So it's certainly possible for the local "manager" (be it a dealership or a destination location) to not be clued in to what the intent of the provider is.

If anything, that reinforces the point that the intent of the provider matters.

Tesla negotiates the terms of the provision of the charger with the host
Tesla owns the plug design
Tesla owns the socket design
Tesla owns its protocols

Tesla has multiple ways in which it could enforce Tesla-only charging at the destination chargers. It could have stopped the adapter sales dead, but it did not.

Also, Tesla does not pay for the electricity at destination chargers, so the use of the destination charger does not impose any additional cost on Tesla.

I suspect that the fact the newer TWC's disallow J1772, and newer destination locations are set up that way is indeed an indicator that steps to protect the program have, and perhaps will be, implemented. Up to this point, it may not be worth it (effort or otherwise) to make much more if it at this point. Which, of course, doesn't automatically grant rights to it.

I think there is a dip swith that will allow Tesla only charging: How to charge other EVs from tesla destination charger? • r/electricvehicles

If he obtained permission to use...he's good to go.

No verbiage regarding non Tesla use....suhhhhhweet:
Tesla is paying for the deployment of destination AC chargers that all EVs can use-

This was already covered in the other thread... just because Telsa has chosen not to make destination owners enforcers doesn't imply they want to subsidize every EV owner under the sun all the while the manufacturers of other EV's don't have to lift a finger.

Also notice the verbiage in that agreement: "...regarding Tesla charging...", "...if Tesla Customers are unable to charge..."

This was already covered in the other thread... just because Telsa has chosen not to make destination owners enforcers doesn't imply they want to subsidize every EV owner under the sun all the while the manufacturers of other EV's don't have to lift a finger.

Also notice te verbiage in that agreement: "...regarding Tesla charging...", "...if Tesla Customers are unable to charge..."
They are also providing clipper creek chargers along with the destination charges....but some proprietors chose to only install the Tesla branded EVSEs. I can be a Tesla customer by purchasing an MC and using it on a non Tesla EV....they do work well on the Leafs, Bolts, Sparks, etc...just need that adapter.

Anyway...the highlighted below provides the proprietor all the rights to the hardware...its really up to the proprietor and and not Tesla on how the hardware is used:
upload_2018-5-26_19-14-45.png

• Informative
Reactions: renim and Rocky_H