Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. And my point is that without major wiring changes, you can't get a useful charging rate out of it.

A Bolt can take up to 155 amps. An Ioniq even more. Both those cars could definitely get a useful charge at those rates. The trick would be programming the Supercharger defeat device to also limit amperage to safe levels that other EVs could fast charge at. That sounds like it would probably be the hardest part, not bypassing the VIN check.

A Bolt can take up to 155 amps. An Ioniq even more. Both those cars could definitely get a useful charge at those rates.

At the voltage levels the car is capable of accepting that current at, it's still not much more than 50kW.

The issue is not if the Bolt can get a useful charge, it's how much additional congestion the relatively slower charging would add while stealing power from Superchargers.

A Bolt can take up to 155 amps. An Ioniq even more. Both those cars could definitely get a useful charge at those rates. The trick would be programming the Supercharger defeat device to also limit amperage to safe levels that other EVs could fast charge at. That sounds like it would probably be the hardest part, not bypassing the VIN check.

Not through the AC wires from the charge port, though. You'd have to build a different custom hybrid adapter for the purpose that passed the line1 and line2 to the CCS DC contacts and hack the car to enable them without the CCS handshake.

People in Europe would have an easier time. Tesla uses the same charge port as everyone else there.
No, you're still missing where this difference is. That port in Europe is called Type 2, or Mennekkes, but it is for AC charging and lower amps. Tesla is using that port shape, but using it very differently than all other cars do, by using it for fast DC charging too.

With other cars that have that Type 2 port, they don't use it for any fast DC charging. They have to have another kind of port for that. In some cases, it is a separate CHAdeMO port, or in others, it's the extra two big pins below the Type 2 to make it a CCS Type 2. Those extra big pins below are connected to thick wires to carry high current for fast DC charging, but not anything in the regular Type 2 part of it above. So this thought experiment was about whether other cars could plug just that Type 2 part in from a Supercharger and get high speed charging, and the answer is no, because that part of those cars' ports do not have thick wiring connected to handle that.

Reactions: Saghost
And again, no.

Tesla uses the same port in Europe that everyone else uses for AC charging. They do not use the CCS DC ports that all other cars use for DCFC - they Supercharge through the "AC" charging pins.

Ok, I stand corrected.
Then someone would need to make an adapter in Europe too. Still don't think designing an adapter would be too hard for someone in the know. More of a time and money issue. We'll probably never see a "Supercharger defeat device", but it's fun to speculate. Still hoping @wk057 will chime in on the feasibility though. :) Or @TonyWilliams

Last edited:
Ok, I stand corrected.
Then someone would need to make an adapter in Europe too. Still don't think designing an adapter would be too hard for someone in the know. More of a time and money issue. We'll probably never see a "Supercharger defeat device", but it's fun to speculate. Still hoping @wk057 will chime in on the feasibility though. :)

In the grand scheme of things, it won't be a terribly hard adapter to make - but the only possible use for it is stealing power from Tesla Superchargers, so it seems like possession of such a device would indicate a plan to steal...

The discussion wasn't whether one could rig a unit to L2 charge at a Supercharger (what a waste of time), but about a unit that could allow DCFC-capable cars to fast charge at a Supercharger. The Electric Terry guy was quoted saying it could theoretically be done by making a device that could spoof a valid VIN and jam cell phone signals temporarily that would then allow a non-Tesla to DCFC at a Supercharger.

Lame idea that would be very easy for Tesla to stop. They could simply ping a car every time it plugs into a supercharger, so even though you have a vin and can theoretically defeat the local cellular, the only way to stop Tesla from pinging the actual car with that vin is if they are in very close proximity to the "cell jammer". When they ping the car matching the fake vin and its 3 states away, charging would be denied. Like I said, Lame, took me 2 seconds to solve.

Edit - I see there could be a flaw in this currently due to SpC being dumb but wouldn't be difficult to employ I'm sure. I don't see it becoming a big issue, most people have better things to do than go through all this trouble to steal $3 in electricity.

I think the bigger concern would be when someone figures out how to cheat the system and then sells that functionality to thousands of others who want to cheat the system.

Possibly, though I realized my quick solution wouldn't work due to the SPC not being able
to communicate, it seems Tesla could add additional encrypted code verification in each vehicle in addition to vin so there is no way for it to be spoofed. It also wouldn't be difficult to reward Tesla owners for texting a photo of car (including plate) to Tesla for forwarding for prosecution. No need to spend a lot of money for a technical solution, a few handcuffs will get the point across.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think the bigger concern would be when someone figures out how to cheat the system and then sells that functionality to thousands of others who want to cheat the system.
I do not think it would be easy to cheat unless Tesla gives the OK and they pay for their share. As shown with the Model 3 Tesla knows which car and how to bill the owner. The Bolt would need to follow similar standards.

Because the car tells Tesla to bill it. (Our understanding is that the Superchargers don't even have an Internet connection, that all authorization/billing is done by the car.)
Hmmm.

It may indeed be the case that the car handles the billing transaction, but there is telemetry data at least from the supercharger back to the mother ship, as they can check on operational status, etc...

My understanding it that this is via cellular modem (just like the cars), and that the black modules on the face of the cabinet doors are antennas:
Tesla-Supercharger-transformers-2.png

bro,

That is a nice portable charging setup!

Compact and lightweight.

Capable of full Bolt EV charging speed, 32 A at 240V, at RV campsites. Also capable of 120 V charging, and everything in between with inexpensive UMC adapters from Tesla.

GSP

Reactions: bro1999