Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt gets the ax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears the Chevrolet Bolt gets the ax.

From the article…..
“GM pushed the Bolt out ahead of the Tesla Model 3 in 2016. The two were considered to be the first long-range EVs designed for mainstream drivers, starting at around $35,000.

But Bolt sales never caught on as well as many executives hoped, as EV sales overall remained miniscule outside of Tesla. The Bolt also suffered a major setback more recently, as GM recalled all of the Bolts ever produced due to a supplier-related battery issue.”

Attachments

• IMG_2826.jpeg
    IMG_2826.jpeg
    983.6 KB · Views: 224
The battery issue was really bad, but so was the crazy slow DCFC that was never upgraded. The fact that DCFC was not even a standard feature on the car really illustrates how out-of-touch GM was from EV customers need. A nice big battery suitable for road trips combined with really slow charging speeds never made sense. Too bad, since this is exactly this size/type/price of car I would love to be common in the US, but will not be until a non-big-3 makes one that is popular and shows there is a still a market for things smaller than CUVs.

Bolt is not the first EV that GM kills.
My opinion of GM and Ford was always that they will only produce compliance EVs talking about them a lot to boost their stock. Does anyone really think that GM's next wonderwaffle Ultrium, or whatever they call it, is not going the way of Bolt? GM just runs this EV circus to get money from the government and from stock.

Reactions: carcrazyguy
Bolt is not the first EV that GM kills.
My opinion of GM and Ford was always that they will only produce compliance EVs talking about them a lot to boost their stock. Does anyone really think that GM's next wonderwaffle Ultrium, or whatever they call it, is not going the way of Bolt? GM just runs this EV circus to get money from the government and from stock.
The fact that GM came out with the Hummer EV (a giant suck on battery supply) so early shows they are either not taking this seriously or trying to fail. Ford is doing a far far better job, and I think actually 'get's it'.

The fact that GM came out with the Hummer EV (a giant suck on battery supply) so early shows they are either not taking this seriously or trying to fail. Ford is doing a far far better job, and I think actually 'get's it'.
I am not so sure about Ford doing far better. If GM's Bolt problems are intentional and GM knows about them, Ford's engineering issues often seem to be an enigma for Ford. Ford feels like MS Windows that is pushed to the market and then the fixes are promised but, unlike MS Windows, the updates never come. Ford sells the Mach-E at a loss and can't compete with Tesla on the price at all, which is made worse by the amount of $$$ Ford spent on Mach-E promotion campaigns. I expect Ford will kill the Mach-E next year.

Any of them will "actually get it" when they replace ICE vehicles in their lineup with EV vehicles. Basically, when Ford discontinues ICE version of F-150 we will have something to talk about. Until then, GM and Ford simply have no business model to make profit of EVs that would allow them to move to EV only production without going bankrupt. Considering the EVs are 7% of new car market in the US now and growing fast, Ford and GM simply may have no time to survive and stay in business after 2030. And all they latest PR stunts on EVs could be just a way for execs to cash on stock before closing the business.

The battery issue was really bad, but so was the crazy slow DCFC that was never upgraded. The fact that DCFC was not even a standard feature on the car really illustrates how out-of-touch GM was from EV customers need. A nice big battery suitable for road trips combined with really slow charging speeds never made sense. Too bad, since this is exactly this size/type/price of car I would love to be common in the US, but will not be until a non-big-3 makes one that is popular and shows there is a still a market for things smaller than CUVs.

To be somewhat fair, when the Bolt EV came out there were almost zero CCS charging stations in the U.S. The very few that were deployed were only 50 kW max. So for many, spending extra for CCS was a waste of money at the time. Especially if on a 2 or 3 year lease. Of course that situation has dramatically changed. So there really hasn't been a good excuse for keeping the limit at 55 kW.

Reactions: cwerdna and KJD
The Model 3 and the Bolt came out more or less at the same time, actually the Bolt predated the Model 3 by a bit. And I believe GM had a longer runway on their $7500 tax credit. So why did Tesla sell a zillion and GM sold a handful? Well, the Model 3 was a nicer car, faster, had a nicer drive. And it had the Supercharger network. Tesla also had the “EV” brand while it was clear GMs heart wasn’t really in it. I suspect availability was also an issue. GM couldn’t make enough of them because they didn’t have the battery volume. The Model 3 also had a functioning autopilot. Finally, dealers suck.

Any other reasons?

The interesting thing is that most of these reasons are more or less still true today when comparing Tesla and others.

The Model 3 and the Bolt came out more or less at the same time, actually the Bolt predated the Model 3 by a bit. And I believe GM had a longer runway on their $7500 tax credit. So why did Tesla sell a zillion and GM sold a handful? Well, the Model 3 was a nicer car, faster, had a nicer drive. And it had the Supercharger network. Tesla also had the “EV” brand while it was clear GMs heart wasn’t really in it. I suspect availability was also an issue. GM couldn’t make enough of them because they didn’t have the battery volume. The Model 3 also had a functioning autopilot. Finally, dealers suck.

Any other reasons?

The interesting thing is that most of these reasons are more or less still true today when comparing Tesla and others.
For us in 2018 when we got our Tesla, a Model 3 could comfortably be our only car and a Bolt simply could not. Still true in fact. And that is just because of the charging for us. The extra speed and comfort is also a nice addition, but reflected in the price difference. The Ioniq 6 is the first actual car (non-SUV) to come around in the US that I would consider as a reasonable Model 3 alternative, but it is not hitting the same price point as the Bolt unfortunately.

ARGH! More evidence GM has become a wholly profit based business with a quarterly focus - sadly for them, the "cart before the horse" ( bean counters above engineers/designers? ) will eventually run the whole operation into the ground.

As long as Tesla remains a mission based endeavor with their focus WAY past the horizon, they will continue to do just fine in the quarterly report department.

In 10 years or so, when Chevy is unfortunately gone, some might say Tesla killed it, but in reality GM is doing it to themselves.

(P.S. The Bolts still look like overdesigned sneakers to me.) ;)

The Bolt has its weaknesses and is outdated technology in many respects. But it was a practical little car for some uses and good value for the money, provided a buyer was aware of its limitations. I would have liked to see it released with an adapted version of the new GM platform, but still in the same basic form factor and at a good price. But like all legacy vehicle manufacturers, and even Tesla to some degree, what GM wants to do is get consumers into SUVs for which it can add $5000-10000 extra to the price, and which consumers seem happy to go along with. Though I can understand the impetus for manufacturers from a profit perspective.

Maybe Tesla will eventually make a credible vehicle in the Bolt category with a potential ‘Model 2’, and make it better than GM ever did with the Bolt. And with the advances that Tesla is making in efficient vehicle manufacturing, they might even find a way to make it profitable.

Last edited:
I bought a EUV earlier this year, aware of the charging time, but also as a compelling "city car" with more than adequate storage and a "hatchback" design that works as well as the Model Y. The car rides very well, better than my 2018 M3 and easily competitive with any Tesla, and the control setup is very easy to use, more "traditional" with a dash in front of the driver and easy to use button controls for major functions.

The Bolts have a second regen control located on the steering wheel that adds significant range to the car. With an EPA 247 mile range I averaged 4.4 miles/KWh efficiency, equivalent to over 285 miles on a single charge since I've purchased the car, which includes mostly winter driving and early spring with chilly weather. The only downside is the charging speed, and for my use as a second car it's a fine solution. It is also the best priced EV available. After tax credits fees and taxes my net cost was under $25,000 (no state incentives).

But I also value the Tesla for easy of charging and overall capability. When I ordered my EUV last summer the Model Y AWD was priced over $60K and there were no EV tax credits. The cost delta between the two cars was prohibitive - more than double. With the tax credits returning for 2023, and the drop in Tesla prices when I took delivery in January the Model Y was more affordable on a relative basis, especially for the 279 mile range 4680 Austin built version. I began to wonder if I should buy the Tesla instead, but stuck with the Bolt.

When the Model Y fell to $46,990 I went to several large car buying locations (CarMax, Carvana, AutoNation, Cars Direct) and asked what they would pay for my Bolt. I expected that they would low ball the car, aware of the tax credit and low initial cost. Most did, but one offered me more than I paid for the car after tax credits. At that point the net cost of moving into the Model Y AWD including all taxes fees and DMV fees was under $16,000 plus my EUV. That was a deal that I couldn't resist.

So, I sold the Bolt, placed an order for the base Model Y AWD and expected delivery by late May. To my delight a car became available early and I expect to pick it up within a week. The Tesla price shifts were so dramatic that it shifted the entire buying decision for me, and likely for many others.

I also realize that in a few months Tesla will offer a RWD only Model Y in the US (as is available in Canada now), and likely upgrade the range in the new 4680 battery pack to near 400 miles (although they may not want to offer that much range to keep demand for the S/X high). The car costs will likely drop a bit more as well. Despite all of that I'm fine with the swap I just made, and welcome the ability to SuperCharge at will and make the Model Y a true second car without limits for my needs.

The EUV is a great car at a great price and will serve many very well. But it's still limited and likely appeals for price to many people. A RWD Model Y priced at $40K, only $10K more than the BOLT list price with some options, will be tough competition for anyone. Elon seems to realize this and his bet on cost reductions due to scaling and Giga Press manufacturing efficiencies is a bold move that may make Tesla untouchable as a value proposition.

I bought a EUV earlier this year, aware of the charging time, but also as a compelling "city car" with more than adequate storage and a "hatchback" design that works as well as the Model Y. The car rides very well, better than my 2018 M3 and easily competitive with any Tesla, and the control setup is very easy to use, more "traditional" with a dash in front of the driver and easy to use button controls for major functions.

The Bolts have a second regen control located on the steering wheel that adds significant range to the car. With an EPA 247 mile range I averaged 4.4 miles/KWh efficiency, equivalent to over 285 miles on a single charge since I've purchased the car, which includes mostly winter driving and early spring with chilly weather. The only downside is the charging speed, and for my use as a second car it's a fine solution. It is also the best priced EV available. After tax credits fees and taxes my net cost was under $25,000 (no state incentives).

But I also value the Tesla for easy of charging and overall capability. When I ordered my EUV last summer the Model Y AWD was priced over $60K and there were no EV tax credits. The cost delta between the two cars was prohibitive - more than double. With the tax credits returning for 2023, and the drop in Tesla prices when I took delivery in January the Model Y was more affordable on a relative basis, especially for the 279 mile range 4680 Austin built version. I began to wonder if I should buy the Tesla instead, but stuck with the Bolt.

When the Model Y fell to $46,990 I went to several large car buying locations (CarMax, Carvana, AutoNation, Cars Direct) and asked what they would pay for my Bolt. I expected that they would low ball the car, aware of the tax credit and low initial cost. Most did, but one offered me more than I paid for the car after tax credits. At that point the net cost of moving into the Model Y AWD including all taxes fees and DMV fees was under $16,000 plus my EUV. That was a deal that I couldn't resist.

So, I sold the Bolt, placed an order for the base Model Y AWD and expected delivery by late May. To my delight a car became available early and I expect to pick it up within a week. The Tesla price shifts were so dramatic that it shifted the entire buying decision for me, and likely for many others.

I also realize that in a few months Tesla will offer a RWD only Model Y in the US (as is available in Canada now), and likely upgrade the range in the new 4680 battery pack to near 400 miles (although they may not want to offer that much range to keep demand for the S/X high). The car costs will likely drop a bit more as well. Despite all of that I'm fine with the swap I just made, and welcome the ability to SuperCharge at will and make the Model Y a true second car without limits for my needs.

The EUV is a great car at a great price and will serve many very well. But it's still limited and likely appeals for price to many people. A RWD Model Y priced at $40K, only $10K more than the BOLT list price with some options, will be tough competition for anyone. Elon seems to realize this and his bet on cost reductions due to scaling and Giga Press manufacturing efficiencies is a bold move that may make Tesla untouchable as a value proposition.
I really appreciate the ‘hands on’ review you provided. The Bolt indeed does not get enough credit.

So, other than fast charging capability which you mentioned was a real factor, which car do you like better, the Bolt or the Model Y?