Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BYD Qin:

BYD Qin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BYD e6:

BYD e6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buffett and Munger (w/ Sokol) should have looked into Tesla back in 2008.

Actually advancing of BYD is really positive as it will accelerate rapidly acceptance of EVs in China. Nevertheless BYD and Tesla will not be in competition for a really long time, I mean really long even After Model E.
Anyway BYD could be widely accepted in China as there are many people across Chinese web excited about BYD. It will receive government subsidiaries it is domestic manufacturer and will be affordable for poor Chinese.
21031212-BYD_article_main_image.jpg

byd-e6-taxi_005.jpg

The reason is that Tesla is in upper segment Sport cars, Luxury Sedans, luxury SUV, Mid-level sedan with technological advancements which outdates even biggest German car manufacturers. BYD is low cost and low quality Chinese car.

Have you ever seen Chinese car? I drove one from other big Chinese manufacturer –Great wall similar to BYD but with IC Engine. This company is trying to expand in Europe trough Bulgaria. They even have a facility here. The point is that Chinese cars are really low quality with no exceptions. Furthermore there are many people in Bulgaria who bought different models of Chinese cars. The overall results are that even old Solviet cars like Lada and Volga(most of you have never heard of them) were much better. Still they are the cheapest cars in the market 10k EUR for brand new. Bulgaria is poorest country in EU there is certain market for them. But actually even poor Bulgarian prefer to buy second hand car then new Chinese car. Probably Bulgaria is the test gateway for Chinese car manufacturers to make experiments as I have seen also small quantities of other Chinese cars. One thing is common for all of them- terrible quality.

BYD just do not have a chance to sell any numbers outside of China for 10+ years in my opinion. Probably they can in Africa but no in Europe and US. In China they will do well because poor Chinese do not mind to drive poor cars. Anyway I do not see Tesla entering low cost segment neither BYD to enter higher segment.

One more thing the e6 based price $30 000 with subsidiaries but similar Chinese car with Internal combustion engine costs in Bulgaria 10k EUR brand new and nobody wants it.
They are light years behind Tesla in terms of quality and technology.

Last edited:
Actually advancing of BYD is really positive as it will accelerate rapidly acceptance of EVs in China. Nevertheless BYD and Tesla will not be in competition for a really long time, I mean really long even After Model E.
Anyway BYD could be widely accepted in China as there are many people across Chinese web excited about BYD. It will receive government subsidiaries it is domestic manufacturer and will be affordable for poor Chinese.

The reason is that Tesla is in upper segment Sport cars, Luxury Sedans, luxury SUV, Mid-level sedan with technological advancements which outdates even biggest German car manufacturers. BYD is low cost and low quality Chinese car.

Have you ever seen Chinese car? I drove one from other big Chinese manufacturer –Great wall similar to BYD but with IC Engine. This company is trying to expand in Europe trough Bulgaria. They even have a facility here. The point is that Chinese cars are really low quality with no exceptions. Furthermore there are many people in Bulgaria who bought different models of Chinese cars. The overall results are that even old Solviet cars like Lada and Volga(most of you have never heard of them) were much better. Still they are the cheapest cars in the market 10k EUR for brand new. Bulgaria is poorest country in EU there is certain market for them. But actually even poor Bulgarian prefer to buy second hand car then new Chinese car. Probably Bulgaria is the test gateway for Chinese car manufacturers to make experiments as I have seen also small quantities of other Chinese cars. One thing is common for all of them- terrible quality.

BYD just do not have a chance to sell any numbers outside of China for 10+ years in my opinion. Probably they can in Africa but no in Europe and US. In China they will do well because poor Chinese do not mind to drive poor cars. Anyway I do not see Tesla entering low cost segment neither BYD to enter higher segment.

One more thing the e6 based price $30 000 with subsidiaries but similar Chinese car with Internal combustion engine costs in Bulgaria 10k EUR brand new and nobody wants it.
They are light years behind Tesla in terms of quality and technology.

Hey Cankooo1, wondering if you've seen any comprehensive Chinese media reviews of the Model S yet? Or would you be anticipating these media outlets to receive test cars with the Apr 22 batch and post reviews soon thereafter? Thinking if there's any hugely influential magazines, websites, or other agencies in China that publish a good review it may be another catalyst.

Hey Cankooo1, wondering if you've seen any comprehensive Chinese media reviews of the Model S yet? Or would you be anticipating these media outlets to receive test cars with the Apr 22 batch and post reviews soon thereafter? Thinking if there's any hugely influential magazines, websites, or other agencies in China that publish a good review it may be another catalyst.

I think there are already many, otherwise we won't expect so high for Chinese market :). Even the order is piled up, but the progress looks slow:
1) delayed delivery
2) no plan nailed down for super charging network yet
3) only one service center and store opened now in mainland China

Almost everything is on plan or on mouth, hope new China GM can bring more agressive advancement in China.

Btw, a piece of good news. The first official (held by TM) test drive event was done on Sunday, looks very positive feedback as usual http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2357-28988399-1.html

I think there are already many, otherwise we won't expect so high for Chinese market :). Even the order is piled up, but the progress looks slow:
1) delayed delivery
2) no plan nailed down for super charging network yet
3) only one service center and store opened now in mainland China

Almost everything is on plan or on mouth, hope new China GM can bring more agressive advancement in China.

Btw, a piece of good news. The first official (held by TM) test drive event was done on Sunday, looks very positive feedback as usual http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2357-28988399-1.html

thanks for this maoing! exciting times

That coincides with the Beijing Motor Show (April 20-29). Would make sense that this is where Elon will kick off Chinese deliveries, wouldn´t it?

They will mention it their press conference at the Beijing Motor Show that the deliveries of the Tesla Model S in China have already started. That sounds much better than a future date. I am actually not sure if Tesla Motors will be present at the Beijing Motor Show. Does anybody else know more about this?

They will mention it their press conference at the Beijing Motor Show that the deliveries of the Tesla Model S in China have already started. That sounds much better than a future date. I am actually not sure if Tesla Motors will be present at the Beijing Motor Show. Does anybody else know more about this?

It was posted that Tesla will not be there: Tesla is red hot in China, for different reasons - Page 4

Wouldn´t it make sense to join the two threads?

First event in China in China: Must was the first to speak in Geek Park innovation conference.
The appearance of Elon is surrounded with a lot of media attention. There are many publications on Chinese web. I am adding this link because it contains a transcript of the full interview.
20140421160604ce336_550.jpg

http://tech.163.com/14/0421/16/9QC9GML7000915BD.html
The speech is totally in his style, the announcement is that in 3-4 years they will start production in China.

- - - Updated - - -

It was posted that Tesla will not be there: Tesla is red hot in China, for different reasons - Page 4

Wouldn´t it make sense to join the two threads?
It is interesting that the absence of Tesla in Beijing auto show was nclearly noticed from the media in China. Anyway there are more than 250 auto shows in China per year, the Beijing one is important event but there are also several more this year. It is interesting that currently they are attending only in local exhibitions and events like in Changsha last week http://auto.rednet.cn/news/20144/3217860.html
Also I have noticed that in absence of Tesla the media was constantly asking the executives of the other car manufacturers, questions about Tesla similar like in N.Y. Auto show in US which is a bit of surprise for me.

First event in China in China: Must was the first to speak in Geek Park innovation conference.
The appearance of Elon is surrounded with a lot of media attention. There are many publications on Chinese web. I am adding this link because it contains a transcript of the full interview.
View attachment 47582
The speech is totally in his style, the announcement is that in 3-4 years they will start production in China.

- - - Updated - - -

It is interesting that the absence of Tesla in Beijing auto show was nclearly noticed from the media in China. Anyway there are more than 250 auto shows in China per year, the Beijing one is important event but there are also several more this year. It is interesting that currently they are attending only in local exhibitions and events like in Changsha last week http://auto.rednet.cn/news/20144/3217860.html
Also I have noticed that in absence of Tesla the media was constantly asking the executives of the other car manufacturers, questions about Tesla similar like in N.Y. Auto show in US which is a bit of surprise for me.

Elon looks STRAIGHT UP like Tony Stark in this one, and I'm willing to bet it's 100% meditated.

View attachment 47582

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone who can provide an English Translation? When I tried google translate it gave me an error message and said to try again later ... I am guessing because everyone is trying to figure out what Elon is saying lol

I got it to work though the translation is not great http://translate.google.com/transla...tech.163.com/14/0421/16/9QC9GML7000915BD.html

Example:

Chen Weihong: Many people think you redefine the car, because before you, almost no one can imagine that the car can be used in this way into our lives. I want to know, how do you have such thoughts to subvert the people some of the original ideas for the car? Musk: The reason we created the Tesla, it is because there is such a fact. Electric cars are always very slow, looking ugly, poor battery life, very short, no one is willing to buy such a car, that is not worth, no oil in the car to use. So, we specialize in this car, we make a series of efforts in the hope that it can rival other burning gasoline vehicles in all respects, the fact that it seems that we still do. Like before you point to, and now we have created the highest points. Of course, the reason we are doing this work, not that we want to create the best car is not the name of the first, we hope to break the routine, change people's understanding of both the electric car, we prove to them that we The electric car is fully capable of much better than gasoline cars.

The interview will be broadcasting in "dialogue" program of CCTV (China Central TV). It's a very popular program similar to "60 minutes" in US. Elon talked many things (paypal, spaceX, tesla, solarcity, zip2 etc.), most of them we already know, here is some new information related to Tesla:
1) Elon is picking at details, if 100 is the full score, he would rate model S as 80;
2) Elon said China is very important market for tesla in the future, tesla will make huge investment including charger network. Super Charger station in Beijing and Shanghai will be opened in a few days.
3) In next 3-4 years, some production will be localized

The interview will be broadcasting in "dialogue" program of CCTV (China Central TV). It's a very popular program similar to "60 minutes" in US. Elon talked many things (paypal, spaceX, tesla, solarcity, zip2 etc.), most of them we already know, here is some new information related to Tesla:
1) Elon is picking at details, if 100 is the full score, he would rate model S as 80;
2) Elon said China is very important market for tesla in the future, tesla will make huge investment including charger network. Super Charger station in Beijing and Shanghai will be opened in a few days.
3) In next 3-4 years, some production will be localized

Thanks so much for relaying this and other information, maoing.

I am digging for more information and by the way Tesla and Elon Musk are all over the news. There was a constant interest before but now all of the Chinese TV channels are reporting. There are many recorded videos over the internet but sadly they are in Chinese and google translate doesn’t work with video.
Just some screenshots:

tsla.png

I am waiting for CCTV to post the record of the conference today as it will be in English , but still nothing on their website.