Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing between 32A & 20A 3 Phase Adaptor Cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hairyman

Jul 24, 2019
Australia
I have a safety question about this choice.

Choosing the 32A option gets faster charging, but will there be a problem if you plug it into a 3 phase socket only rated for 20A?

I’m assuming that in a 32A socket a 20A cable will only draw 20A and be safe, whereas a 32A cable might try to get 32A out of a 20A circuit and cause an overload.

TIA

I have a safety question about this choice.

Choosing the 32A option gets faster charging, but will there be a problem if you plug it into a 3 phase socket only rated for 20A?

I’m assuming that in a 32A socket a 20A cable will only draw 20A and be safe, whereas a 32A cable might try to get 32A out of a 20A circuit and cause an overload.

If you are talking about the mobile charger it only comes with normal 10A plug, and the less but still fairly common 15A plug. They can only be physically plugged into the right types of sockets.

Your electrician will wire up the wall connector, if you want it. This is the only one that can do over 15A.
While possible, you are unlikely to be getting an electrician to put a plug on the wall connector as it is meant to be mounted and hardwired, not mobile with a plug. Though some people have talked about doing it for faster mobile charging in some cases, and this is where you could run into issues with it overloading a circuit. Just means you could flick off the circuit break in a caravan park or something, not the end of the world. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you are going to be road tripping and needing to use normal 3 phase plugs in places like caravan parks, and not proper EV chargers. Some people seem to have a need but the majority won't ever.

Reactions: Hairyman
Though some people have talked about doing it for faster mobile charging in some cases, and this is where you could run into issues with it overloading a circuit.

It's very easy to reconfigure the HPWC for different amperages using the rotary dial selector, and you can even wire the plug in yourself using 6mm2 circle earth cable with a plug of your choice if you are halfway competent. Generally I would advise a Clipsal style plug which can be purchased at Middys or even eBay used to save some money. Make sure you use some bootlace ferrules (of which the tool and crimps can be acquired from eBay)

Australia's obsession with mandating an electrician for even the most basic of jobs is absurd.

As for charging on the road if you don't have Type 2 / SC access, I would suggest purchasing a 25M 15A extension lead, and using this as needed. If you need to downconvert the other end to 10A (because the 15A male connector has a larger earth pin), you can always plug the 10A Tesla plug into the 15A female (or software limit it) , it would be handy to have an Ampfibian which has a built in 10A circuit breaker. Thus saving you having to carry two extension leads.

Bunnings will price match these. The first and second are the same except technically the first should not be used outside (in wet environments).
Ampfibian | Mini 15A to 10A Power Adaptor for DIY | Store
Ampfibian | Buy RV-Plus 15A - 10A Power Adaptor for Caravans

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: m4rtin
Thanks @meowsers and @thomasw

The use case I was thinking about was for some of the adaptor cables like Tesla UMC Adapter

Looking closely I can now see that the plugs are both 5 pin, but slightly different which makes sense from a design safety point of view.

I was doing research for possible trip planning, but as you point out the chances of me actually driving somewhere where there aren’t more usual options are slim.

I’m grateful for your thoughts, it is teaching me a lot.

Most of the Plugshare charging points in WA are 3 phase sockets, outside of Perth and the RAC electric highway to Augusta. These were donated by Synergy and distributed by an AEVA team to those locations willing to install them.
We tried to cover every major highway in a 100 kms grid, and all Nullarbor roadhouses and on the coast road north have them. Horizon Power even installed them for us in 3 locations in the Kimberely.

Hence for the moment, if you go bush in WA (or most of the Top End) you definitely need to use 3 phase sockets with an external 3 phase EVSE. The Round Australia route utilised the same sockets in north Queensland. For some locations it is even necessary to have a 32 amp 3phase extension lead. TOCA have an external 3 phase EVSE and a 3 phase extension lead for loan to their members.

We are trying to get these locations to accept Tesla HPWCs also (Tesla have offered us the Wall units, but most locations are not interested in spending more money on electricians until there is more demand), and eventually there will be DC chargers everywhere (a 200 kms grid if our submission succeeds).

• Informative
Reactions: Hovean
Most of the Plugshare charging points in WA are 3 phase sockets, outside of Perth and the RAC electric highway to Augusta. These were donated by Synergy and distributed by an AEVA team to those locations willing to install them.
We tried to cover every major highway in a 100 kms grid, and all Nullarbor roadhouses and on the coast road north have them. Horizon Power even installed them for us in 3 locations in the Kimberely.

Hence for the moment, if you go bush in WA (or most of the Top End) you definitely need to use 3 phase sockets with an external 3 phase EVSE. The Round Australia route utilised the same sockets in north Queensland. For some locations it is even necessary to have a 32 amp 3phase extension lead. TOCA have an external 3 phase EVSE and a 3 phase extension lead for loan to their members.

We are trying to get these locations to accept Tesla HPWCs also (Tesla have offered us the Wall units, but most locations are not interested in spending more money on electricians until there is more demand), and eventually there will be DC chargers everywhere (a 200 kms grid if our submission succeeds).
That is amazing.

I have joined TOCA as an affiliate until my M3 arrives.

If I end up travelling to remote areas I planned to get a Juice Booster 2 with appropriate adaptors. If push comes to shove, I’ll certainly be in touch for specific advice. At then moment I’m just looking at maps and wondering how I could get there and what the constraints might be - as much to have a response for the naysayers as anything.

Reactions: Techno-phile