Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Christian von Koenigsegg says something about Tesla. Translate from Swedish?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting link, thanks.

• He drives a Model S himself, he thinks it's fantastic
  • He thinks electric cars are the future and the politicians needs to realize this
  • Koenigsegg is not making electric cars, but he thinks that if we will have ICE cars in the future, supercars is where it makes sense (they don't pollute much since there are so few of them)
  • He thinks the Model S is better and cheaper than the corresponding Audis/BMWs, and the Model E will be the same for another market segment

Basically he talks about how even though his company makes ultra performance ICE cars, he actually drives a Model S as his daily driver and there's no car that can compete in the price class. He says the BMW M5 comes the closest but is worse in every category: fun to drive, room, economy etc. He is looking at making a Koenigsegg EV in a much higher price class than the Model S, but his challenge is that he needs to match value per krona/dollar and he's amazed at the value/dollar of the Model S and does not see a way to make something significantly better even around the $1M price point.

He's convinced the Model E will be on the market in the time frame Tesla has promised and it will be a huge volume hit.

Good find JRP3.

He is super excited about his model S which he says is the best car in its class, better than the M5 and more fun. He lives in the south of Sweden and never has any range problems even with the non existing charging infrastructure, drives from his home to the factory and to Copenhagen in Denmark etc.
190 mi range in worst of conditions no matter what.

He also goes on to say the future is already here, the problem has already been solved (by tesla).Only actions needed from the politicians are to support technological development if we, Sweden as a country, want to keep exporting cars in the future not to make people go from ice's to ev's which will happen anyway.

He is a huge fan of Elon.

Koenigsegg is not making electric cars, but he thinks that if we will have ICE cars in the future, supercars is where it makes sense (they don't pollute much since there are so few of them)
Good point of him!

Yes, per kilometer (or mile) supercars pollute a lot, but since they drive don't drive that much it doesn't matter at all. Also, they are indeed small numbers.

Very cool though that he drives a Model S!

Great find :)

Just attended a special screening for EA employees of the upcoming movie "Need for Speed" here at EA's HQ; posting this here as Koenigseggs play a substantial role in the movie :) EVs are nowhere in sight in the movie, of course, but, it was a fun movie all the same. Go see it!

I don't think people realize how awesome this is!
Christian von Koenigsegg engineers and builds million dollar hyper cars so I think its fair to say he knows a thing or two about what makes a car special. For him to hold Tesla in such high regard speaks volumes. Glad to see him on our side :smile:

Watching this on the bus this morning, I sat there smiling like an idiot as he compares his Model S with Audi A6 and BMW M5 says:

BMW M5 is heavier, slower acceleration, higher center of gravity, worse road handling, and not as fun to drive.

Then, as to really drive it home, he than starts over, saying the same a second time adding:

Not seven seats, not 2000 liters luggage space, no 17-inch infotainment system nor the automotive branch’s biggest sunroof.
(At 16 minutes in.)

This guy loves his Model S.
(as do I ,'-)

Koeinigsegg talks about electric cars. He is ecstatic about them and mostly about Tesla. Talks about that he tried to buy SAAB and would have built electric cars. But now he don't see how he would compete with TESLA. He talks about Musk, how he admire him and his way of inspire ppl and getting them to work for him for less money than they would have gotten from other tech jobs. He's very active in the Swedish Tesla motors club and drives a lot of propaganda convoys when they are arranged.

Link to the clip! Beware: in Swedish

http://bambuser.com/v/4291435

Watching this on the bus this morning, I sat there smiling like an idiot as he compares his Model S with Audi A6 and BMW M5 says:

BMW M5 is heavier, slower acceleration, higher center of gravity, worse road handling, and not as fun to drive.

Then, as to really drive it home, he than starts over, saying the same a second time adding:

Not seven seats, not 2000 liters luggage space, no 17-inch infotainment system nor the automotive branch’s biggest sunroof.
(At 16 minutes in.)

This guy loves his Model S.
(as do I ,'-)

I don't think the M5 is heavier. Plus only areas Model S is worse than the M5 is high speeds and track lap times. Other than that, for low speed acceleration and convenience Tesla is better. And this is only the beginning...