Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome delete is failing me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My CD on both sides are coming off during steady rain events. The shop that did the work has stellar reviews and owner seemingly does good work but this is the 2nd time it’s happened since it was first put on back in April. Not sure whether to just give up and rip it all off and request a refund if that’s even an option or what. Sigh

Attachments

• 4FF59064-088A-436C-BCD6-C86345BD059D.jpeg
    4FF59064-088A-436C-BCD6-C86345BD059D.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 202
  • E0341297-F099-420C-8AB0-C80D95564858.jpeg
    E0341297-F099-420C-8AB0-C80D95564858.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 161
My installer did my chrome delete a year ago and still holding up. However due to Tesla misplaced panels on the door it rubs and the corner rubs off. However the majority of the chrome delete is still strong and surviving. You should request for redo or refund at that point

My installer did my chrome delete a year ago and still holding up. However due to Tesla misplaced panels on the door it rubs and the corner rubs off. However the majority of the chrome delete is still strong and surviving. You should request for redo or refund at that point

Shop owner wants to give it one more go but if that fails, I think I’m going to do just that and ask for a refund.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I’ve had my diy chrome delete on for almost a year. Been through rain/snow and holding up great. My car is even ceramic coated and didn’t do anything special before applying it.

He’s going to replace the Avery film with 3M and see if that fixes the issue. Apparently quality between the two are pretty close so will just have to try it and see what happens.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Options:

-have it liquid wrapped
-buy and install the made-in-Chine snap on black replacement trim (eBay, Amazon, etc.) fit is meh but it wont peel up like that
-accept and embrace the chrome!
-add moarh chrome everywhere (see Nissan Murano, Chevy Impala, Toyota Camry, Honda Jazz and old Mercedes/BMW owners)

Options:

-have it liquid wrapped
-buy and install the made-in-Chine snap on black replacement trim (eBay, Amazon, etc.) fit is meh but it wont peel up like that
-accept and embrace the chrome!
-add moarh chrome everywhere (see Nissan Murano, Chevy Impala, Toyota Camry, Honda Jazz and old Mercedes/BMW owners)

Embrace the chrome huh?! Ugh but I might have no other option in the end.

He’s going to replace the Avery film with 3M and see if that fixes the issue. Apparently quality between the two are pretty close so will just have to try it and see what happens.

Interesting that it's the same areas on both sides of the trim that aren't adhering. Is it even sticky underneath the vinyl? Have them use 3M and see if that makes a difference, but both are top quality. My entire car is wrapped in Avery film and my chrome delete is 3M and none of it is coming off. Chrome delete is also 9 months strong

Interesting that it's the same areas on both sides of the trim that aren't adhering. Is it even sticky underneath the vinyl? Have them use 3M and see if that makes a difference, but both are top quality. My entire car is wrapped in Avery film and my chrome delete is 3M and none of it is coming off. Chrome delete is also 9 months strong

It is really odd that it is only happening on that top trim on each side and yes it was sticky underneath and I just stuck it back on.