Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Exterior Trim on New 2021 Model 3 - Is that Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 long-range AWD with upgraded wheels here in North America. I got it from the Inventory and it had under 50 miles on the odometer, and it came from Fremont. While the manufacturing date on the sticker says March 2021, my car has a chrome exterior trim (windows and door handle). Is that normal? I haven't read a single instance of this. Sales isn't replying and Tesla Support was clueless and surprised. The account clearly says 2021 Model 3 but the picture shows the black trim as well.

I actually enjoy the chrome trim, but if that's a 2020 thing, what else is a 2020 part in my car?! I don't want resale value or any other surprise impacts. I'm looking at you, heat pump and longer 2021 range.

Thanks

At the risk of sounding dumb, how do I tell ? I've driven the car once so far and at the moment it's sitting underground behind a valet controlled garage.
Double pan.

1617476425635.jpeg

Single pan... is well, single.

Hello,

I just took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 long-range AWD with upgraded wheels here in North America. I got it from the Inventory and it had under 50 miles on the odometer, and it came from Fremont. While the manufacturing date on the sticker says March 2021, my car has a chrome exterior trim (windows and door handle). Is that normal? I haven't read a single instance of this. Sales isn't replying and Tesla Support was clueless and surprised. The account clearly says 2021 Model 3 but the picture shows the black trim as well.

I actually enjoy the chrome trim, but if that's a 2020 thing, what else is a 2020 part in my car?! I don't want resale value or any other surprise impacts. I'm looking at you, heat pump and longer 2021 range.

Thanks
Tesla uses the parts they have. When they make changes, like the changes they made for the 2021 Model 3's, they phase them in when they have each new part. It would not surprise me if they found a few bright trim pieces left over and decided to use them. I would see this as a problem only if they mixed trim on one car, which in your case they didn't.

Tesla uses the parts they have. When they make changes, like the changes they made for the 2021 Model 3's, they phase them in when they have each new part. It would not surprise me if they found a few bright trim pieces left over and decided to use them. I would see this as a problem only if they mixed trim on one car, which in your case they didn't.

That sounds a bit nutty to me. Black trim is supposed to be a 2021 feature. I can't imagine them trying to explain that: "Oh, we found some leftover 2020 chrome and decided to just use that on your car". WUT?

Mike

Hello,

Thanks
What is the build date of your car? See the sticker on the drivers door post. Never mind I see its from March. Very strange.

What is the VIN number ?

What is the build date of your car? See the sticker on the drivers door post. Never mind I see its from March. Very strange.

What is the VIN number ?
5YJ3E1EB8MF924XXX

I'll check the details being asked above tomorrow (I have to order the car to be brought up).

I guess I'm slightly concerned that someone would be skeptical if I go to resell it in a few years, if they see the chrome trim. My secondary worry is there's something else not 2021 about the car (heat pump, double paning which I should be able to check, range)

5YJ3E1EB8MF924XXX

I'll check the details being asked above tomorrow (I have to order the car to be brought up).

I guess I'm slightly concerned that someone would be skeptical if I go to resell it in a few years, if they see the chrome trim. My secondary worry is there's something else not 2021 about the car (heat pump, double paning which I should be able to check, range)
Get the chrome delete. Or take it to Tesla and have them do it.

I think you should be okay. I doubt they had a 2020 sitting around some corner and said “Hey, what’s that doing here? Let’s give it to some shmo.”

Reactions: Matsayz
Sounds oddly common for this manufacturer. Previous instances of botched assembly and or how-did-this-past-QA oddities:

- Driver's side 2nd gen, Passenger's side 1st gen seat

- White interior door trim on one side, black interior door trim on the other.

- AMER tailight assembly on one side,
EMEA/APAC assembly on the other.

- White interior and wood dash trim, black interior and white dash trim

So 'chrome' trim on a 2021 sounds very plausable. Consider it a unicorn if that manufacturing date is accurate (the VIN may or may not be representative of manufacturing window).

• Informative
Reactions: trisk
Hello,

Thanks

Pics

Reactions: TimothyHW3
Just completed a norcal to so cal drive on the I5 yesterday (8/2/2021). Saw numerous carriers with brand new Teslas probably coming from the Fremont assembly plant. Saw a truck full of M3s, brand new with protective wrap, no hubcaps, etc. Several had chrome door handles and trim. Thought this was a little weird. Could this be a new ‘option’ coming soon? Sorry….no pictures.

It would not surprise me if they found a few bright trim pieces left over and decided to use them.

They better have bright trim pieces in inventory to use as spare parts, especially for vehicles being repaired from accident damage. So doesn't really make sense that they would have "found" some and decided to use all they have for new cars when they have 100's of thousands on the road that could need those parts at any time.

Reactions: Adam3